Wiki Posts
Search

Lufthansa standby on United ticket

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2019, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA:MM 1K HH:Diamond IHG:Plat Marriott:Plat
Lufthansa standby on United ticket

One of my upcoming flights SFO-FRA-PRG is throwing up an itinerary with a 11 hr layover in FRA. Any chance that LH would allow me to standby for an earlier flight? The flight is in W class. Just looking for anecdotal reports from someone who has tried.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 8:30 am

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
No - LH doesn't do "stand-by" like US carriers do. You can of course change your ticket to an earlier flight, with the prevailing change fees and fare difference applying.
expressboy likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Is this booked already, or not?

If you want to try and force a shorter connection, try using multi-city and searching for XXX-FRA as one segment, FRA-PRG the next (or MUC, or whatever). You'll get more options that way, or use Google Flights, and use the link to book with UA (you can filter for airline, or connecting point).

Put simply, UA's search engine is awful. While it's possible shorter layovers involve a flight that is sold out, more likely that UAs site is simply missing one (or several) normal/reasonable connections that shouldn't be a problem to book. Living in a spoke, I always check with multi-city or Google flights before booking on UAs site since this is frequently an issue.
expressboy likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 9:15 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
You can call 1K desk for better connection time options. I was told recently that 1K booking with agent does not incur booking fees.
expressboy likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA:MM 1K HH:Diamond IHG:Plat Marriott:Plat
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Is this booked already, or not?

If you want to try and force a shorter connection, try using multi-city and searching for XXX-FRA as one segment, FRA-PRG the next (or MUC, or whatever). You'll get more options that way, or use Google Flights, and use the link to book with UA (you can filter for airline, or connecting point).

Put simply, UA's search engine is awful. While it's possible shorter layovers involve a flight that is sold out, more likely that UAs site is simply missing one (or several) normal/reasonable connections that shouldn't be a problem to book. Living in a spoke, I always check with multi-city or Google flights before booking on UAs site since this is frequently an issue.
Not booked yet. I had found SFO-EWR-MUC-PRG with much better times but I was trying to see if I can avoid an extra hop.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by airoli
No - LH doesn't do "stand-by" like US carriers do. You can of course change your ticket to an earlier flight, with the prevailing change fees and fare difference applying.
it’s not so black and white. You just have to find the right LH agent. Try the Senator Lounge first.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 9:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
LH doesn't do standby, in general. In my experience (as a former SEN and *G for the last 20 years) is that you'll be quoted the change fees (and fare difference, if applicable). This is at the First Class ticket desk, the transfer desk, and/or the Senator Lounge.
airoli likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CIT85
You can call 1K desk for better connection time options. I was told recently that 1K booking with agent does not incur booking fees.
Originally Posted by expressboy
Not booked yet. I had found SFO-EWR-MUC-PRG with much better times but I was trying to see if I can avoid an extra hop.
1K desk should be able to help. Just feed them leg-by-leg and define desired booking class (W in your case) to ensure that you get the farebase & appropriate fare you are looking for.

Originally Posted by LondonElite
LH doesn't do standby, in general. In my experience (as a former SEN and *G for the last 20 years) is that you'll be quoted the change fees (and fare difference, if applicable). This is at the First Class ticket desk, the transfer desk, and/or the Senator Lounge.
It always strikes me as odd, why LH (and many other carriers) are following this rigid policy. Operationally, it makes sense to have pax on their way asap, as one never knows what might evolve as the day progresses (delays, overbooking, weather etc.).
Old Feb 20, 2019, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by cesco.g
1K desk should be able to help. Just feed them leg-by-leg and define desired booking class (W in your case) to ensure that you get the farebase & appropriate fare you are looking for.

It always strikes me as odd, why LH (and many other carriers) are following this rigid policy. Operationally, it makes sense to have pax on their way asap, as one never knows what might evolve as the day progresses (delays, overbooking, weather etc.).
I assume they do it for pricing. If you give away the expensive seats for free, nobody will pay for them. prob the same reason ua charges $75 for standby. I don't think WN even allows standby for general members? (but w no change fees you just buy up or maybe get an even exchange)
Old Feb 20, 2019, 11:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by flyerbaby19
I assume they do it for pricing. If you give away the expensive seats for free, nobody will pay for them. prob the same reason ua charges $75 for standby. I don't think WN even allows standby for general members? (but w no change fees you just buy up or maybe get an even exchange)
Not necessarily. It also helps to know what each flights loading is. And you can sell the changes.
Often1 and athome like this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by LondonElite

Not necessarily. It also helps to know what each flights loading is. And you can sell the changes.
And cultural. In Germany, Ordnung muß sein. Germans frown upon folks trying to circumvent the rules.

Last edited by sannmann; Feb 22, 2019 at 11:06 pm
Old Feb 20, 2019, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sannmann
And cultural. In Germany, Ordnung müß sein. Germans frown upon folks trying to circumvent the rules.
Jawohl! or "Ja-wohl" I guess.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX

it’s not so black and white. You just have to find the right LH agent. Try the Senator Lounge first.
I concur. On my way to Naples in September, I had a planned 12 hour layover in MUC. I went to shower/freshen up and at lounge check in, asked about an earlier flight. The agent was incredibly helpful - told me to take my time and when I came back, she'd have everything ready, no bother at all. This has been my experience multiple times on LH (MUC-NAP, MUC-VIE, FRA-TXL - mix of front/back of the plane). I think policy is a no, but experience and some pleasantness plus a friendly lounge agent usually does the trick.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 1:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The other reason not to give away freebie changes is that many people will pay the fee. Intra-European change fees are often not that high and the value proposition for 3-4 hours of downtime may make paying the fee quite easy.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by sannmann
And cultural. In Germany, Ordnung müß sein. Germans frown upon folks trying to circumvent the rules.
Though it's not rule circumvention if the ask is simply "can I change". Now if the point is "you bought a ticket for X flight; you vill fly that flight" then okay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.