FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Crew takes the overhead in row 1 of Polaris (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1957198-crew-takes-overhead-row-1-polaris.html)

PittAir Feb 19, 2019 8:21 pm

Crew takes the overhead in row 1 of Polaris

Just got on UA 79 to Tel-Aviv. Crew luggage took up the entire first rows of bins? Really? Is that typical? Polaris passengers going back 3-4 rows to store their overhead stuff? Just curious.

IAH-OIL-TRASH Feb 19, 2019 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by PittAir (Post 30799716)
Just got on UA 79 to Tel-Aviv. Crew luggage took up the entire first rows of bins? Really? Is that typical? Polaris passengers going back 3-4 rows to store their overhead stuff? Just curious.

So they put them in the back bins of Polaris, inconveniencing the rear Polaris passengers? Not sure what the solution is, but crew bags often find themselves in the forward bins, irrespective of plane type. I’m pretty sure you were able to store your bags. On a flight like that, two steps back in the cabin might be perceived as exercise.

There’s certain things one should not be surprised at. Crew bags in forward bins, food selection chances diminished in rear, etc.

fumje Feb 19, 2019 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by PittAir (Post 30799716)

Not sure if you're referring to EWR-TLV or SFO-TLV (79 is EWR-NRT), but in any case yes, it is not uncommon. I don't think they should do that, but they do.

edit add:

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH (Post 30799725)

So they put them in the back bins of Polaris, inconveniencing the rear Polaris passengers? Not sure what the solution is, but crew bags often find themselves in the forward bins, irrespective of plane type. I’m pretty sure you were able to store your bags. On a flight like that, two steps back in the cabin might be perceived as exercise.

Perhaps they could distribute throughout. @:-) There is ample space in Polaris cabins, but not if a bunch of people cluster in one part.

IAH-OIL-TRASH Feb 19, 2019 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by fumje (Post 30799733)
...Perhaps they could distribute throughout. @:-) There is ample space in Polaris cabins, but not if a bunch of people cluster in one part.

Thats an idea. Still, people will complain if crew is using “their” bin.

fumje Feb 19, 2019 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH (Post 30799746)

Thats an idea. Still, people will complain if crew is using “their” bin.

Maybe. I think most passengers wouldn't notice. A simple scheme like left aisle attendants around row 3 either side, right aisle around row 6 (or whatever) seems like it would be unobtrusive.

But given that most attendants are being promoted to Polaris from the trenches of domestic trays-out-then-phones-out service, I think that's unlikely to happen.

EWR764 Feb 19, 2019 9:00 pm

I think crew bags are officially to be stowed “throughout” the cabin...

gengar Feb 19, 2019 9:03 pm

This is nothing new for UA, sadly. There were multiple times I flew in GF when the entire overhead bin above my seat was stuffed full with crew bags, including one particularly terrible flight when I had to put one of my bags on the other side of the cabin. The FAs didn't care at all.

IAH-OIL-TRASH Feb 19, 2019 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by gengar (Post 30799819)
This is nothing new for UA, sadly...

Nor other airlines. AA crew HNL-DFW two months ago used front bins.

gengar Feb 19, 2019 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH (Post 30799829)

To be accurate, that should be "nor certain other airlines". It's not really any surprise which airlines this has happened to me on, even with my sample size.

Although to be fair, I never once had this problem on AA F.

porciuscato Feb 19, 2019 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH (Post 30799829)

Hmm. Never had this problem on Delta, Lufthansa, Swiss, Singapore, Thai, Austrian, Southwest, Air Asia..... Just United. And it's almost every time. Getting off last, FAs can easily retrieve their bags from the back. Passengers sitting in row 1 cannot -- unless they wait for everyone else on the plane to deboard.

Repooc17 Feb 19, 2019 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by porciuscato (Post 30800036)
Hmm. Never had this problem on Delta, Lufthansa, Swiss, Singapore, Thai, Austrian, Southwest, Air Asia..... Just United. And it's almost every time. Getting off last, FAs can easily retrieve their bags from the back. Passengers sitting in row 1 cannot -- unless they wait for everyone else on the plane to deboard.

After the plane parks, F/J pax can retrieve their carry-ons while everyone wait for jet bridge. Based on my experience, OH bins in premium cabins on INTL flights are largely underutilized, including UA. To be honest, I may have the most carry-ons, as I never check luggage.

porciuscato Feb 19, 2019 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17 (Post 30800052)
After the plane parks, F/J pax can retrieve their carry-ons while everyone wait for jet bridge. Based on my experience, OH bins in premium cabins on INTL flights are largely underutilized, including UA. To be honest, I may have the most carry-ons, as I never check luggage.

Depends on how far back the bags have to go. I once waded back 10 rows to retrieve the bags for an very elderly couple sitting across from me in row 1. Then I got other passengers to mosh pit the bags forward. The FAs just stood there and watched as I did that. Another reminder that on United, it's always employees first, customers last.

UA_Flyer Feb 19, 2019 11:45 pm

This is really nothing new.

In my over 25 years of UA flying, whether you call it Connosuier Class, United Businees, United First, BusinessFirst, Global First or Polaris, FA storing their bags in premium cabins are standard practice at UA.

Simply renaming or rebranding to “Polaris” is not going change the behavior or practice.

FA are there for primarily for our safety not for providing OH space for passengers.

Kacee Feb 20, 2019 12:19 am

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer (Post 30800123)
FA are there for primarily for our safety not for providing OH space for passengers.

This explains the lengthy FA "safety briefings" which regularly occur in the galley following meal service ;)

zombietooth Feb 20, 2019 1:03 am

Originally Posted by Kacee (Post 30800194)
This explains the lengthy FA "safety briefings" which regularly occur in the galley following meal service ;)

I call these briefings, "the all-night, b..tch and moan about UA and/or the overly-entitled passengers, dance party". IME, the FAs consistently show blatant disregard for the passengers attempting to sleep on the Asian flights, and the noise level is usually excessive. This is why I will no longer fly in the front J cabin. Contrast this with the "quiet as church mice" experience that I just had with the FAs in the galley on NH from IAH-NRT.