Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Crew takes the overhead in row 1 of Polaris

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Crew takes the overhead in row 1 of Polaris

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2019, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B

Yes but evidently not such a priority with Boeing....
Each airline configures the cabins any which way they please. There’s a myriad # of ways airlines can set up their cabins. If airline X wants to have 5 closets & airline Y wants 2 closets & more seats or a bar etc, it can be done.
ie CAL 764’s used to have 35 BF seats up front & 2 lavs at door 1L&R.
Now there are 39 seats in the same area, 2 less lavs, a much smaller mid galley. Closets for coats & crew bags take away revenue when seats can be substituted instead...all about the benjamins yo.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 7:29 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Aspen
Do any crew know it is possible to securely shut a cupboard or OH bin without slamming it closed ?
Perhaps on an overnight flight when all the lights are out ?
slam ... slam ... SLAM ... SLAM SLAM SLAM ... Click ... PBBBTTTTT as they crop dust passing Premium Cabin passengers ... SLAM ... SLAM ... CLICK.

There's a reason they call it Slam Clicking in the industry.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 9:17 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
...and last time, they were out of Grey Poupon. I mean really!
Old Feb 20, 2019, 9:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
My answer is to never book row 1.
Brucemcdou likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 11:12 pm

Programs: BA GGL, AA EXP and former CK, DL Plat, UA Gold MM
Originally Posted by PittAir
Just got on UA 79 to Tel-Aviv. Crew luggage took up the entire first rows of bins? Really? Is that typical? Polaris passengers going back 3-4 rows to store their overhead stuff? Just curious.
Let's be honest. Are you really surprised that UA crew took the overheads most convenient to the crew at the sacrifice of the most valued pax? Aren't they entitled to do whatever they want?
Old Feb 21, 2019, 2:32 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by cyber1k
Let's be honest. Are you really surprised that UA crew took the overheads most convenient to the crew at the sacrifice of the most valued pax? Aren't they entitled to do whatever they want?
Let’s infuse a few facts into this thread. The Flight Attendants place their suitcases in the designated spots outlined specifically by their manual based on the position their working. Some are in the closets, some in the overhead bins - allowing both areas to have continued access for passenger useage.

Suggesting this is an entitled behavior is just ignorant IMO.
wpcoe, JOSECONLSCREW28 and threeoh like this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 7:00 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by clubord

Let’s infuse a few facts into this thread. The Flight Attendants place their suitcases in the designated spots outlined specifically by their manual based on the position their working. Some are in the closets, some in the overhead bins - allowing both areas to have continued access for passenger useage.

Suggesting this is an entitled behavior is just ignorant IMO.
so your opinion is that the FA's strictly adhere to this? Really? Not sure how much you fly but I average 100K biz and 30 or so pleasure a year and FA's usage of overhead is all over the place for US metal international a far different story. One of many reasons I fly foreign metal overseas
AirMiles2001 likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by edgewood49
so your opinion is that the FA's strictly adhere to this? Really? Not sure how much you fly but I average 100K biz and 30 or so pleasure a year and FA's usage of overhead is all over the place for US metal international a far different story. One of many reasons I fly foreign metal overseas
I assure you I fly much more than you do - but that’s not the point. To directly answer your question. Yes, my opinion is the flight attendants strictly adhere to this policy.

Each F/A has a defined position on the trip; FA01, FA02, FM, etc. Based on these predetermined positions, it is expected each crewmember participate in a defined role of the inflight service and occupy a specific jumpseat based on this position for takeoff and landing.

Also included in the F/As positions are the location of where their personal luggage is to be stored.

I get it that sometimes it may not make sense, but 99.9% there’s a method to why the airlines do what they do and it’s pretty logical once one learns all the factors involved.

Hope this helps clarify things.

Old Feb 21, 2019, 9:09 am

I assure you I fly much more than you do - but that’s not the point. To directly answer your question. Yes, my opinion is the flight attendants strictly adhere to this policy.

Each F/A has a defined position on the trip; FA01, FA02, FM, etc. Based on these predetermined positions, it is expected each crewmember participate in a defined role of the inflight service and occupy a specific jumpseat based on this position for takeoff and landing.

Also included in the F/As positions are the location of where their personal luggage is to be stored.

I get it that sometimes it may not make sense, but 99.9% there’s a method to why the airlines do what they do and it’s pretty logical once one learns all the factors involved.

Hope this helps clarify things.

Ok this is one of those discussions that can go on forever, so you know I am ex Air Force and Pan Am nit that I know everything. Domestically I disagree with you internationally no brainer.

Done and CK 6
Old Feb 21, 2019, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by edgewood49
Ok this is one of those discussions that can go on forever, so you know I am ex Air Force and Pan Am nit that I know everything. Domestically I disagree with you internationally no brainer.

Done and CK 6
Thank you for your service, enjoy your retirement!
Old Feb 21, 2019, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found

My experience generally agrees with this. Crew bags are occasionally a problem, but usually they are distributed throughout the cabin (and often in closets) such that they don't provide an intrusion for storing my bag.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 2:46 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Now admittedly I rarely fly in row 1 these days as I would/do find luggage in the overhead of row 1 where I am sitting and need to move it above row 2 to the annoyance of the folks in row 2 when they sit down. Now perhaps the luggage above me in the overhead over row 1 is for another pax but then those pax should be concerned about a FA rifling through their luggage (obviously it belongs to the FA).

As others have noted, the overhead for row 1 on other airlines does not seem to be such an issue for my carryon. Perhaps OALs use larger overhead bins?

Great that United "instructs" the crew to put their luggage above row 1, so where do they expect the pax in row 1 to put their luggage?
Old Feb 21, 2019, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Now admittedly I rarely fly in row 1 these days as I would/do find luggage in the overhead of row 1 where I am sitting and need to move it above row 2 to the annoyance of the folks in row 2 when they sit down. Now perhaps the luggage above me in the overhead over row 1 is for another pax but then those pax should be concerned about a FA rifling through their luggage (obviously it belongs to the FA).

As others have noted, the overhead for row 1 on other airlines does not seem to be such an issue for my carryon. Perhaps OALs use larger overhead bins?

Great that United "instructs" the crew to put their luggage above row 1, so where do they expect the pax in row 1 to put their luggage?
Alaska clearly marks the dedicated bins directly over the first row in first class works well. I had first row once with FA's bags I couldn't use it she moved hers.
Aussienarelle likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.