Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Laptop damage - Airline policy?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2019, 5:45 am

Programs: 1MM, UA 1k
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Not so sure I would be running to my employer to report this - they might question why their employee lacked the knowledge to simply remove the laptop and place it under the seat vs checking the laptop.
yes, but two wrongs (not disclosing damage to their device, which contains their data) doesn’t seem to make a right, don’t you agree?
Old Feb 20, 2019, 7:50 am

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Contents on my computer are more important than me (no joke), so if _______ (insert airline) has no more space, I would volunteer myself off the flight. The aggravation dealing with the aftermath is not worth the extra time I would have to wait for the next flight.
if that's 'REALLY' the case then your drives are fully encrypted, striped drives, and the good stuff is not on your local drives but you VPN back to a much more secure location. Anything more valuable than yourself 1) you wouldn't have the only copy unencrypted on your laptop HD or 2) have a low value on your life or work.

BTW, who uses unencrypted drives and travels?
Old Feb 20, 2019, 8:11 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
We had a foreign exchange student two years ago that wasn't at all travel savvy. She gate checked her bag to COS, which included her computer. Computer was damaged in doing so, and UA payed for it because her ORD-COS was part of an international trip. I was expecting nothing for her, but apparently the international part made the difference. Took a trip to the airport to meet with UA, but it was relatively smooth and compensation for the computer arrived about 2 weeks later.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 8:28 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by NetNathan
The flight did not involve Montreal, but it was international..
1st leg was SIN to SFO.
2nd leg was SFO to ONT (Ontario, Calif).
They were discussing the Montreal Convention, which governs airline liability on international flights.
https://www.iata.org/policy/smarter-...ages/mc99.aspx

I usually try my best to protect my laptop. But on a few smaller flights when I had to green tag my bag due to inadequate over head space, I never had an issue. I am a million miler, so I have been through this before.
Just because you got away with it in the past doesn't mean it was ever a good idea. You can often get away with slamming the brakes at the last second while driving in snow many times before it causes a spinout or a crash. It doesn't mean it was ever a good idea to be doing it in the first place.

The gate attendant gave me no choice. He simply said overhead bin space ifs full and put a luggage tag on my computer laptop bag without any questions on what was inside or any choice of alternative handling.
You need to speak up. If they ever tried to check one of my bags with my laptop, camera, or camera lenses in it, my reply would be fine, the bag gets checked, but the laptop/camera/lenses come out first.
cawhite likes this.

Last edited by STS-134; Feb 20, 2019 at 10:01 pm
Old Feb 20, 2019, 9:42 am

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
This won't help for your current situation, but it may help going forward. I worked for a place that required us to keep our laptops in our possession at all times while en route and provided rolling bags for them. I didn't like the rolling bag (my rolling suitcase is enough wheels for a trip) and I saw potential problems like the one you encountered, so I asked for a briefcase-style bag instead. It took far too much effort on my part to get them to agree to this but it was worth it.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 2:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
While it sounds as though UA has not gone under for lack of your business, I'm not sure what UA did wrong. Laptop damaged, owner of laptop (employer) chooses not to file a claim, and that is the end of it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.