SFO immigration now longer than LAX?

Old Feb 19, 2019, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by 1KChinito
You can use Global Entry kiosk once you have received final approval without physical GE card in hand. Your passport is linked to your GE.
Just to clarify that point a bit further: final approval means you went in to the Global Entry interview and were approved. I believe you also receive your PassID number which you could then plug in to your profile with UA and other airlines to ensure you get the pre-Check mark most of the time (getting a pre-check mark is not a guarantee since it's a random process for "security" reasons). However, you'll want that physical card when crossing a land/sea border (i.e. Canada into the US). It is also useful when travelling domestically since the Global Entry card is considered RealID for the purpose of TSA so if you're in a state where your driver's license isn't RealID complaint then you can use the Global Entry card.

-James
Old Feb 19, 2019, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
There are also special GE lanes to enter transborder flights at select Canadian airports before security using your GE ID.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by Repooc17
There are also special GE lanes to enter transborder flights at select Canadian airports before security using your GE ID.
Yes although you don't need the physical card to use those lanes you can either use your Nexus/Global Entry card or your linked passport.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by j2simpso
Yes although you don't need the physical card to use those lanes you can either use your Nexus/Global Entry card or your linked passport.
At least through late last year, YYZ T1 GE line does not accept passport, for example. You need to present your GE card.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 3:52 pm

At least through late last year, YYZ T1 GE line does not accept passport, for example. You need to present your GE card.
That has not been my experience at all! In December, I was flying YYZ->SIN (via ORD,NRT) on UA/NH and cleared US customs at T1 using just my passport. Prior to this I had YYZ -> SJU (via ORD) on UA and did the exact same thing. Perhaps things have changed since December 7, 2018 and now but would be surprised if CBP changed anything in the meantime!

Safe Travels,

James
Old Feb 19, 2019, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by tvhead
+1. That was my experience as well. After several months of ever-changing procedures post-GE machine (does an agent double check, when is the paper slip collected), things have now settled in a a quick routine. An agent will collect the slip from you as you walk past the officer booths just past the GE machine. Once past that, there is no more interaction, most notably: no queuing after bag claim to hand over the slip. Nice and fast.
Really? How is AG inspection enforced? Shoulder tap at bag belt?
Old Feb 19, 2019, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by j2simpso
That has not been my experience at all! In December, I was flying YYZ->SIN (via ORD,NRT) on UA/NH and cleared US customs at T1 using just my passport. Prior to this I had YYZ -> SJU (via ORD) on UA and did the exact same thing. Perhaps things have changed since December 7, 2018 and now but would be surprised if CBP changed anything in the meantime!

Safe Travels,

James
Not customs. Before security and CBP. There is a special GE line to enter security where you would need to present you GE ID. Of course, you can still use the regular line, or the premium/elite line.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 5:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by glbltvlr
How is AG inspection enforced?
Same way it's always been enforced. Primarily by dogs. You are also under observation during the entire entry process. And could theoretically be flagged by the CBP officer who takes your GE receipt, though the whole point of GE is that you're literally a "trusted traveler" and thus an unlikely candidate for secondary inspection.

I believe SFO has realized that having a separate officer who simply collects customs forms adds absolutely nothing substantive to the process.
Taipei and glbltvlr like this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 5:17 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
You can use Global Entry kiosk once you have received final approval without physical GE card in hand. Your passport is linked to your GE.
Yeah found that out too late here on FT. We had a discussion of this on another board months back when it happened.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 5:20 pm

Not customs. Before security and CBP. There is a special GE line to enter security where you would need to present you GE ID. Of course, you can still use the regular line, or the premium/elite line.
oh you mean the Nexus security lane! Ha! About that..it's apparently not universally enforced across Canada. In particular, in YUL rarely are passengers challenged to show their Nexus/Global Entry card. As a consequence it's common to have kettles enter their line and proceed to remove their shoes, put their liquids in the clear plastic bag and all the other non-sense significantly slowing down the line!

-James
Old Feb 23, 2019, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BR, UA 1k, CX
Originally Posted by Kacee
Same way it's always been enforced. Primarily by dogs. You are also under observation during the entire entry process. And could theoretically be flagged by the CBP officer who takes your GE receipt, though the whole point of GE is that you're literally a "trusted traveler" and thus an unlikely candidate for secondary inspection.

I believe SFO has realized that having a separate officer who simply collects customs forms adds absolutely nothing substantive to the process.
Yes, it seems that is what they realized, and maybe shortage of staff or they do other work (I've seen CBP at departures now)
Old Feb 23, 2019, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Another vote for Mobile App (if you are eligible). In my half dozen or so experiences with it at SFO I've gotten off the plane, while taxing or walking to the plane filled out the online form, and walked to the agent with literally no line or one person in line and been on my way in <45 seconds. I've never had GE, but it seems the mobile app is hard to beat (at least till everyone starts using it).
Old Feb 23, 2019, 11:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, IHG Platinum, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle
Mobile Passport app is an alternative to Global Entry if you are qualified, Global Entry vs. Mobile Passport App vs. APC
I used mobile passport yesterday morning at SFO from UA 916. There were 3 people in the mobile passport lane and I got through in about 5 minutes.

If you are eligible its the literal bomb. But don't say that to TSA.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 10:59 am

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by dav3d
I used mobile passport yesterday morning at SFO from UA 916. There were 3 people in the mobile passport lane and I got through in about 5 minutes.

If you are eligible its the literal bomb. But don't say that to TSA.
Glad you were able to utilize mobile passport app. It is the best kept secret, best of all, it is free.
Old Apr 24, 2019, 6:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Flew in on UA838 last Tuesday and walked right up to an officer (I have a visa that does not permit use of the kiosks). Interestingly, we beat the exactly similarly timed NH 77W off the ground at NRT by ~5 min, but the it beat us across the ocean and had already parked at G101 as we turned the corner around T3. That said, we parked at G94 and somehow beat most of the NH pax to the immigration hall.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.