Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SFO immigration now longer than LAX?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2019, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by tvhead
+1. That was my experience as well. After several months of ever-changing procedures post-GE machine (does an agent double check, when is the paper slip collected), things have now settled in a a quick routine. An agent will collect the slip from you as you walk past the officer booths just past the GE machine. Once past that, there is no more interaction, most notably: no queuing after bag claim to hand over the slip. Nice and fast.
It seems airport specific. Last week at DFW, my wife got to keep her slip. There was no agent after the machines collecting them, and customs didn’t want to see or collect them. Mine had a big fat X and so I needed to see an agent to fix my record, and then never got a “good” slip.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 10:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K/AS 100K …Bonvoy Titanium..Hertz Presidents Club
Originally Posted by 1KChinito
Mobile Passport app is an alternative to Global Entry if you are qualified, Global Entry vs. Mobile Passport App vs. APC
I use mobile passport all the time to enter SFO. Even with the morning rush, I never waited more than 10 minutes. Plus, it's free.

Originally Posted by Taipei
Within last six months, flying into SFO (normal non global entry) passport control line has been long, today was 40 min. wait with no APC for US Passport holders in use. Flying into LAX (the new Bradley Terminal) on UA from MEL, SYD and Eva air from Taiwan waits no longer than 5 minutes. Not sure I just arrived on bad (busy) days at SFO since today is a holiday but my 3 flights into SFO have recently had long waits. One SFO change, no customs check (no person there collecting cards/asking questions) so this is better. Not sure what is others experiences?
I asked the officer a few months back regarding the "no customs check" and he said the assistant commissioner for CBP was visiting and did not want to see people waiting in lines. So,poof, no more check.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 19, 2019 at 12:00 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Feb 18, 2019, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by minhaoxue
I asked the officer a few months back regarding the "no customs check" and he said the assistant commissioner for CBP was visiting and did not want to see people waiting in lines. So,poof, no more check.
Long customs (non-GE) line at LAX TBIT arrival last Thursday late afternoon/early evening (February 14, 2019).
Old Feb 19, 2019, 12:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I assume you have Egate for Taiwan, but I would say GE is absolutely essential if you're making this trip with any frequency. I have APEC for TPE arrivals and departures given late afternoon or evening chaos with foreigners coming in, and the complete cluster of the morning departures on the way out.

At SFO with GE I am aircraft seat to UA Arrivals Lounge in 20 minutes or less depending on how fast I can walk, sometimes a little more, sometimes less. At LAX, I am seat to curb in potentially less time.

I refused to pay for the overpriced TPE Egate service for non TW passport holders, but I think they canceled it anyway, but inbound to TPE with APEC, I am seat to MRT in 20 minutes or so pending any bathroom break, and outbound, I am terminal door to EVA Lounge in 10-15 minutes via the "secret APEC door".

These memberships are essential for the frequent flyer, and as mentioned above, you want the Precheck benefits that come with GE. If you travel to Canada with any frequency, do NEXUS instead - it's cheaper and includes both GE, Precheck and expedited service in Canada.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 19, 2019 at 12:40 am Reason: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 6:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by tvhead
I agree that GE is great. And if you fly to Asia on business, get the APEC Business Travel Card. That will save you an incredible amount of time throughout Asia (I'm looking at you, South Korea and Thailand).
Yup, GE + ABTC are huge time savers. ABTC is great, especially if you land at BKK around 1:00 AM, which seems to be about when 5-6 wide bodies all arrive at once. ABTC sends you through priority line, and can save 90 minutes. That means you are asleep in your hotel at 2:30 AM instead of 4:00 AM. Every bit helps.

Never needed more than 3-5 minutes at SFO with GE.

Last edited by IMissThe747; Feb 19, 2019 at 6:06 am Reason: type - changed a to at
Old Feb 19, 2019, 6:10 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I assume you have Egate for Taiwan, but I would say GE is absolutely essential if you're making this trip with any frequency. I have APEC for TPE arrivals and departures given late afternoon or evening chaos with foreigners coming in, and the complete cluster of the morning departures on the way out.

At SFO with GE I am aircraft seat to UA Arrivals Lounge in 20 minutes or less depending on how fast I can walk, sometimes a little more, sometimes less. At LAX, I am seat to curb in potentially less time.

I refused to pay for the overpriced TPE Egate service for non TW passport holders, but I think they canceled it anyway, but inbound to TPE with APEC, I am seat to MRT in 20 minutes or so pending any bathroom break, and outbound, I am terminal door to EVA Lounge in 10-15 minutes via the "secret APEC door".

These memberships are essential for the frequent flyer, and as mentioned above, you want the Precheck benefits that come with GE. If you travel to Canada with any frequency, do NEXUS instead - it's cheaper and includes both GE, Precheck and expedited service in Canada.
Where is the 'secret' APEC door?
Old Feb 19, 2019, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: BR, UA 1k, CX
Originally Posted by bocastephen

I do not use e gates at TPE, but do have access at KHH airport with my American passport/ VISA on exiting the airport as well Term1 TPE but not the United Terminal at TPE. I hope like my Aussie co workers in Kaoshiung I can use egates without any paperwork or extra cost, but I think Taiwan does this as Taiwanese can use the egate at Aussie airports that have this function with no cost or forms to fill out. As others mentioned I should get GE, not sure if NEXUS is of any benefit as I do not go to Canada,
Old Feb 19, 2019, 8:37 am

Programs: UA 1K
For what it’s worth, I just arrived on UA872 a few moments ago and we were first in line with no other flights in the arrivals hall.

However, my anecdotal experience is that LAX has been getting much better, and SFO deteriorating. In the bad old days, LAX used to be a no go airport for transits without global entry because you never knew if you’d be stuck in a 2 hour line. I think those problems are largely solved. I don’t think either are bad though, at least compared to somewhere like EWR

Now that I have global entry I don’t really care anymore because any port of entry is quick, but I’m always looking out for my parents who don’t get the same because they are Australian.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 10:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by IMissThe747
Where is the 'secret' APEC door?
When you enter the terminal (I only know T2) facing the giant mob waiting to go through security, turn left and walk with the mob on your right side about 2/3 of the way down the terminal. Near the CI service counter there is a door with a very small sign for APEC/Special Services/Air Crews that leads down a hallway past a few offices and the pass control desk. At the end of the hallway, the open door leads into a private single-position security area which opens to the APEC and priority counter for immigration.

Note that air crews also use the same counter and you will be asked to step aside for an air crew if you're not already at the x-ray machine putting your stuff in. Since a typical CI or BR flight can have 20 total crew members, getting stuck behind them can take awhile, but at least they know what they are doing and will move quickly.

Make sure not to ask airport staff, because even if you show them your APEC card, they will try and drag you to the regular line, insisting there is no such thing as APEC.

Remember on arrival, the APEC counter is at the very far (or the first position depending on where you enter) end of the immigration hall. If you come in from the opposite end, sometimes the service people will try and push you into the regular foreigner line, so you need to wave them off and keep walking to the APEC counter. When you get there, the big desk is for air crew, the APEC counter is the regular desk immediately to its left, so don't be afraid to line up beside any air crews waiting for the big desk and watch out for mainland Chinese who might show up with strollers and try to push in front of you, just push them away and step in front of them.
ryder1650 and IMissThe747 like this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 10:51 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Topic Reminder

Less stay on topic, SFO / UA immigration.

APEC is discussed elsewhere on FT, such as https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trus...riences-q.html

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Feb 19, 2019, 11:00 am

Within last six months, flying into SFO (normal non global entry) passport control line has been long, today was 40 min. wait with no APC for US Passport holders in use. Flying into LAX (the new Bradley Terminal) on UA from MEL, SYD and Eva air from Taiwan waits no longer than 5 minutes. Not sure I just arrived on bad (busy) days at SFO since today is a holiday but my 3 flights into SFO have recently had long waits. One SFO change, no customs check (no person there collecting cards/asking questions) so this is better. Not sure what is others experiences?
I have noticed that procedure varies airport to airport with Global Entry. Sometimes they check my passport twice, sometimes they wave me through, occasionally they will do a full-on bag belt or customs questioning. Is there any rhyme or reason to this?

When I flew into SFO on UA 916 last month (~7 am arrival) Global Entry had a short 1-2 minute line and regular had a medium line it looked like.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 11:28 am

My (limited) experience with SFO is that it has been relatively quick when I've flown in from a 3rd country. Typically the longest part of the journey is the queue for the GE machines which can last 3-5 minutes depending on time of day. Otherwise everything is speedy.

I can't comment on non-GE lines since it has been a long time since I've been in that situation (i.e. 2014) and all I can recall is that the lines were painful regardless of airport.

One thing to consider is the US mobile passport app which is available for Canada/US citizens. Basically you fill out the immigration form once you land and present a QR code to the agent bypassing the queues. Some have even reported it being faster than GE!

Today, yes 872, maybe just flying on a busy day then.(maybe I should get Global Entry)
If you fly into the US at least once a year then yes it is well worth the $100 every 5 years. Having the long wait at Canada/US immigration once made me realize the value in this.

Originally Posted by seakrait
I have noticed that procedure varies airport to airport with Global Entry. Sometimes they check my passport twice, sometimes they wave me through, occasionally they will do a full-on bag belt or customs questioning. Is there any rhyme or reason to this?

When I flew into SFO on UA 916 last month (~7 am arrival) Global Entry had a short 1-2 minute line and regular had a medium line it looked like.
There seems to be no rhyme or reason to this - purely at the discretion of the agent. In Dec 2017 I was clearing US customs at YYZ and my flight was to HNL and I was wearing a Hawaiian shirt. No questions asked, agent waved me on my way. Meanwhile flying YXU -> EWR (via YUL) on Dec 30. At transfer immigration the agent grilled me: Why am I going to NY (to see the ball drop). What do I plan on doing afterwards (flying to the UK). Why? (I'm a student there). How can I afford to study there... fortunately the agent was friendly and passport was stamped (unusual but maybe a YUL thing).
Old Feb 19, 2019, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by j2simpso
If you fly into the US at least once a year then yes it is well worth the $100 every 5 years. Having the long wait at Canada/US immigration once made me realize the value in this..
Last summer while waiting for my Global Entry card to arrive I arrived at SFO from CDG and the line was horrific. ONE agent with hundreds of travelers, there was literally almost a riot. When people complained verbally they initially threatened arrest but soon all the cameras came out and more and more people got very verbal at security and customs agents that they finally opened up additional lines. It actually got a bit scary, people were incensed and rightfully angry. I literally sat on the floor with others for about an hour until additional lines opened up. When I finally cleared and spoke with a customs agent about the on going debacle I was gruffly told to "get out"! Is the $100 worth it? Every penny!!
Old Feb 19, 2019, 1:40 pm

Also important to note: depending on where you live, Nexus may be the better option than Global Entry since it's only $50 CAD/USD every 5 years (6 years if you apply on your birthday!) and gives you (CA)TSA pre-check in Canada/USA along with Global Entry immigration in the US and Nexus fast track immigration in Canada. The important thing note is that you must apply from an airport/land crossing near the Canada/US border (i.e. all major Canadian airports plus Canada/US land crossing like Vancouver, Detroit, Buffalo, etc.)

Safe Travels,

James

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 19, 2019 at 1:49 pm Reason: Off topic content removed
Old Feb 19, 2019, 2:47 pm

Programs: COdbaUA Platinum 2MM
Originally Posted by nomad420
Last summer while waiting for my Global Entry card to arrive I arrived at SFO from CDG and the line was horrific. ONE agent with hundreds of travelers, there was literally almost a riot. When people complained verbally they initially threatened arrest but soon all the cameras came out and more and more people got very verbal at security and customs agents that they finally opened up additional lines. It actually got a bit scary, people were incensed and rightfully angry. I literally sat on the floor with others for about an hour until additional lines opened up. When I finally cleared and spoke with a customs agent about the on going debacle I was gruffly told to "get out"! Is the $100 worth it? Every penny!!
You can use Global Entry kiosk once you have received final approval without physical GE card in hand. Your passport is linked to your GE.
ContinentalFan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.