Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Travel Waiver: Chicago Winter Weather (February 17, 2019)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2019, 11:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K

Airports:
  • Chicago-O'Hare, IL (ORD)​
Rebook by February 18(!), 2019.

Waiver (normal folks): https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/tra...eptionPolicies

Waiver Parameter Code (posted): 1+

David

Old Feb 18, 2019, 2:57 am

Wasn't this waiver for yesterday? Considering it's now the 18th? Chicago was just a mess because of, relatively mild, snow. Though having been out driving tonight, it seems like its been worse from 7pm onwards, so not sure what happened during the day yesterday.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Wasn't this waiver for yesterday? Considering it's now the 18th? Chicago was just a mess because of, relatively mild, snow. Though having been out driving tonight, it seems like its been worse from 7pm onwards, so not sure what happened during the day yesterday.
There is one active for 18th. I wasn't watching this, so I'm not sure of the history, but it looks like a new one.

Old Feb 19, 2019, 7:35 am

Programs: UA 2P, NWA & AirTran A+ refugee
Originally Posted by DELee
Airports:

Rebook by February 18(!), 2019.

Waiver (normal folks): https://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/tra...eptionPolicies

Waiver Parameter Code (posted): 1+

David
Just wanted to say many thanks for posting a screen shot of the original weather waiver for 17 Feb 2019. The has been a lesson for me as the .bomb website does not have an archive of past weather waivers. I submitted a claim for a fee waiver yesterday (18 Feb) for travel on 17 Feb with a screenshot of the (ongoing) waiver from the Feb 18, and United Customer Care's initial replay was "Thanks but no thanks; your weather waiver from the 18 is for a day later than your travel." This is galling since they clearly have access to when waivers are issued, and are using my lack of a screenshot from a day prior as an excuse to void a valid claim. Ba humbug.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 7:47 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
deleted... no sooner had I groused than did they issue the waiver...

Last edited by exerda; Feb 19, 2019 at 7:56 am
Old Feb 19, 2019, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flatlined
Just wanted to say many thanks for posting a screen shot of the original weather waiver for 17 Feb 2019. The has been a lesson for me as the .bomb website does not have an archive of past weather waivers. I submitted a claim for a fee waiver yesterday (18 Feb) for travel on 17 Feb with a screenshot of the (ongoing) waiver from the Feb 18, and United Customer Care's initial replay was "Thanks but no thanks; your weather waiver from the 18 is for a day later than your travel." This is galling since they clearly have access to when waivers are issued, and are using my lack of a screenshot from a day prior as an excuse to void a valid claim. Ba humbug.
I would guess they got confused by there seemingly being two separate waivers for consecutive days rather than the first days' waiver having been extended.

Did you get resolution for your 17 Feb 2019 travel? You do also need to proactively cancel (if applicable) or change; you generally can't just miss the flight and then ask for a refund or reinstatement later, although they might work with you for some exception.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by fumje
I would guess they got confused by there seemingly being two separate waivers for consecutive days rather than the first days' waiver having been extended.
That is entirely possible, I suppose.

Did you get resolution for your 17 Feb 2019 travel? You do also need to proactively cancel (if applicable) or change; you generally can't just miss the flight and then ask for a refund or reinstatement later, although they might work with you for some exception.
On the morning of the Feb 17, we elected to voluntarily pay a change fee for an earlier flight out of ORD given the dire weather outlook. This was before a waiver was issued, but past experience dictates that you can't always wait for a waiver to be issued if you cannot miss work the next day (UA and others understandably tend to wait to issue waivers until schedules are negatively impacted). UA posted the weather waiver later in the afternoon, and our original flight was delayed many hours, so it was the right call to change to an earlier flight. Thanks to the helpful screenshot posted by DELee, I think we've got a reasonable case for getting the change fee reimbursed.
DELee likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flatlined
That is entirely possible, I suppose.

On the morning of the Feb 17, we elected to voluntarily pay a change fee for an earlier flight out of ORD given the dire weather outlook. This was before a waiver was issued, but past experience dictates that you can't always wait for a waiver to be issued if you cannot miss work the next day (UA and others understandably tend to wait to issue waivers until schedules are negatively impacted). UA posted the weather waiver later in the afternoon, and our original flight was delayed many hours, so it was the right call to change to an earlier flight. Thanks to the helpful screenshot posted by DELee, I think we've got a reasonable case for getting the change fee reimbursed.
OK, best of luck! Let us know how it goes. I agree it seems that if you point out (and back up with the helpful screenshot) that there was another waiver covering your travel date, you should have a good chance of satisfaction.
Old Mar 14, 2019, 5:47 am

OK, best of luck! Let us know how it goes. I agree it seems that if you point out (and back up with the helpful screenshot) that there was another waiver covering your travel date, you should have a good chance of satisfaction.
Just to close the loop on this, the change fee reimbursement finally was approved this week (i.e., 4 weeks after reporting it). The initial claim was denied within 24 hours since I didn't have a screen shot of the original weather waiver; approving it after re-submission took nearly a month.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.