Wiki Posts
Search

'Upgrade cabin' button broken?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2019, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold
'Upgrade cabin' button broken?

I have a TPAC reservation that I would like to possibly upgrade to premium economy. When I am this itinerary's ‘View Reservation’ on the website and click ‘Upgrade cabin,’ it doesn’t take me to the upgrade page. Instead it takes me to ‘View Reservation,’ in the old screen view from the previous version of the website. There is no working 'upgrade' button there either.

It appears to be an IT bug, as this has happened for several days with the same reservation.

Is there some way to get around this online?
Old Feb 17, 2019, 9:20 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Have you tried a different browser? Sometimes the browser cookies get messed up and you need to clear out the united.com cookies or use a different browser.

Additionally, calling is always an option.
Dublin_rfk and AceReport like this.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
This usually happens when there is not in fact an available offer to upgrade the cabin (due to some mix of usually IT-related issues like a mixed cabin ticket, waitlisted upgrade, etc.) You should call.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 1:19 am
Original Poster

Will probably have to call. Happens on different browsers (cleared history/cache), different computers, etc.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 4:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Me Too!

Originally Posted by IMissThe747
Will probably have to call. Happens on different browsers (cleared history/cache), different computers, etc.
I reported this about a week ago to UA IT and it still isn't fixed for either of our accounts. I have used 3 different browsers, deleted all history, cleaned the caches and cookies (and the perma-cookies) and still no joy.

I am using Apple products, so that could be the source of the problem.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 7:47 pm

Location: NRT/HND, IWK, SAT, BWI, NAP, OKA, AUS, DEN, COS and PUB
Programs: UA 1K.. 1MM
There seem to be a handful of scenarios when the upgrade button either doesn't work or doesn't show up. For example, it used to be (and still is?) the case that if any children under a certain age were on the reservation, the button wouldn't be there.

I have noticed a curious issue recently where I get the "enjoy a premium experience" type banner thing...... advertising "for as low as $18238".... I've wanted to click through to see what it says, but it never takes me to any options. Side note/explanation?: I already GPUs applied and waitlisted.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 9:09 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
It took a couple of days but after I applied a GPU and got waitlisted for an upgrade, I no longer get any offers for cash upgrades.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 9:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
It took a couple of days but after I applied a GPU and got waitlisted for an upgrade, I no longer get any offers for cash upgrades.
Similar situation here, but with a longer timeline. I have GPUs on it each way, waitlisted for either PP or Polaris, whatever opens first. Applied back when PP went on sale, as it is available on these flights.

For some time the 'upgrade cabin' has tempted me with offers. I finally decided to bite the bullet and pay the cost to make sure I was at least flying PP on the way home while still wait listing for Polaris, but when I went to do it, the button is now broken.

I did call the 1K desk, but the price quoted was much higher than the online offer - beyond my threshold. So, hoping that eventually the 'upgrade cabin' button works again and I see a similar offer to what was there before!
Old Feb 25, 2019, 12:58 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Still Broken

Still no upgrade functionality for our two accounts. I hope this doesn't take forever to fix. The prices to UG are much higher with an agent.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 1:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zombietooth
Still no upgrade functionality for our two accounts. I hope this doesn't take forever to fix. The prices to UG are much higher with an agent.
Agreed. I'm waiting for it to come back. I'll pay the price that was offered on the button. The price with an agent is way beyond what I'm willing to pay.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 1:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It's working on the bookings I've made recently.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
It's working on the bookings I've made recently.
Still not working on the one itinerary where I'd like to use it, though it did at first for a while.

As I understand, the issue is that I already have GPUs applied to both TPAC legs of the flight on W fares. For a while after I applied the GPUs I still had the option to buy up to A, O, or R for $400 each way using the upgrade cabin button. But not only did that option disappear, but the entire upgrade window disappeared. Now when I click the upgrade cabin button, I just get the old format of the reservation manager.

I'm told in time this will change... hopefully while there are still available seats in PP.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 7:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold
Its most definitely still broken (for some users at least). For 1 of my reservations, I see an upgrade offer for $199pp which I want to take, but after I click it, I am taken to a page where the offer doesn't exist or taken back to the reservation with the older website look. For the other 2 reservations, every time I click on upgrade reservation, nothing happens and I am redirected to the older website page for my reservation. I escalated this to IT. Let's hope they fix something.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 9:19 am

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by IADFlyer123
Its most definitely still broken (for some users at least). For 1 of my reservations, I see an upgrade offer for $199pp which I want to take, but after I click it, I am taken to a page where the offer doesn't exist or taken back to the reservation with the older website look. For the other 2 reservations, every time I click on upgrade reservation, nothing happens and I am redirected to the older website page for my reservation. I escalated this to IT. Let's hope they fix something.
I get the same things happening. $224 to upgrade LAX-EWR on a 787-10. I don't think the offer is real.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Same here now ... weird. Had to call it in this morning and it took 20 minutes to apply it because the agent had issues as well. Was worth it since there was PZ available and I wanted to upgrade a colleague on a transcon flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.