Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Why is wait at 1K/Polaris check in lin often much longer than at premier access line?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why is wait at 1K/Polaris check in lin often much longer than at premier access line?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2019, 9:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Originally Posted by eng3
They can lump but they should properly staff it to support the level of service they are trying to provide. Ie. If you're standing around doing nothing and have no customers and see your coworkers busy with a line, maybe go over and help out
On several occasions I've been called over to the premier access check-in adjacent to 1K check-in when the line is long. For complex issues, I've been sent back over to 1K.

I'm not sure why, but it doesn't seem like those Premier Access luggage label agents manning the self check-in stations have the access to the same check-in terminals that are in the 1K/Polaris area without self check-in.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
I thought that was a requirement of FT membership .
Is it true that the Evangelists have theirs discretely tattooed as a barcode? @:-)
DELee and Kacee like this.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eng3
Yes I could just start going to the premier access Lane or even economy but what's the point of a benefit if it doesn't get used.
I've noticed this at ORD and it has always baffled me why people would wait in one line when there's faster service available elsewhere. Thanks for answering that for me!
PTahCha, kale73, Kacee and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 7:11 am

Programs: UA 1K
I have this issue constantly at EWR. There is no line, its the wild west. You have to accurately guess which passengers will be the quickest and choose to stand behind their kiosk. Usually about 4 or 5 open- why there isn't a snaking line to allow a proper que confounds me. You then have agents standing behind the counters, basically reacting to the squeaky wheels. If you're quiet, your bags don't get checked.

It is almost all international. Most 1K and GS often don't check bags in my experience (I know I don't unless I'm with family on vacation). So you have entitled, inexperienced, and stressed passengers....
Old Feb 18, 2019, 7:32 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by TomMM
I've noticed this at ORD and it has always baffled me why people would wait in one line when there's faster service available elsewhere. Thanks for answering that for me!
Except that in my case, there were two agents attending to two passengers and nobody waiting when we arrived. And there was a line in the next section. However that line was processed faster. At one point, after 10 minutes, we thought about moving to the other section but, with our good luck, just at that time the agents for Polaris would be free and we would be waiting stupidly in a line.

I could not use the machines as I could not get the United App to accept the Chinese visa for the travel to PVG so needed to see an agent.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 7:59 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
There are times where one cannot use a kiosk and have to see a live human agent to resolve ticketing issues. But yes, I use a kiosk 95% of the time.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 8:36 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by gold23
I have this issue constantly at EWR. There is no line, its the wild west. You have to accurately guess which passengers will be the quickest and choose to stand behind their kiosk. Usually about 4 or 5 open- why there isn't a snaking line to allow a proper que confounds me. You then have agents standing behind the counters, basically reacting to the squeaky wheels. If you're quiet, your bags don't get checked.

It is almost all international. Most 1K and GS often don't check bags in my experience (I know I don't unless I'm with family on vacation). So you have entitled, inexperienced, and stressed passengers....
This is true, although seemingly everyone at EWR has Premier Access, so that line (further down) is often quite long too. People seem to hesitate to go to open kiosks, instead waiting to be called, so I'll usually jump in if I see open kiosks, or at least alert the "next" person to move along. You snooze, you lose!

The somewhat limited hours of the Polaris/1K check-in area at EWR frustrate me more, though. Still, if you want to see clueless, just go downstairs to the dimly-lit free-for-all that is the Economy self-tag area. Within moments, you'll be met with the kind of aimless, bewildered stares that would be right at home at the DMV.
gold23 likes this.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
Except that in my case, there were two agents attending to two passengers and nobody waiting when we arrived. And there was a line in the next section. However that line was processed faster. At one point, after 10 minutes, we thought about moving to the other section but, with our good luck, just at that time the agents for Polaris would be free and we would be waiting stupidly in a line.

I could not use the machines as I could not get the United App to accept the Chinese visa for the travel to PVG so needed to see an agent.
Except in my case I once needed a doc check at ORD and noticed the Premeir line was 20 deep so I step over to the kiosks and was immediately helped by an agent. Which caused me to ask why...
Old Feb 18, 2019, 9:40 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
I always swipe a credit card when using the kiosks.

That said, I hate the new system. Friday at SFO, they had ONE agent manning the Premier bag drop. No separate 1K/Polaris line.
I also always swipe a cc when using kiosk.
Friday night at SFO, I was directed o a kiosk to check in with a bag. At least there was no crowd at bag drop.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
How many observations is this conclusion based on? Over what period of time? At how many airports?
I ask because there are occasionally anomalies and there is a consistent pattern.
However I rarely use counter check-in as I have no need for my travels except for that rare occasion of checking bags and then use kiosks as they are generally faster.
I've flown out of ORD 3 times over the past month. I can specifically recall 3 times where the wait seemed long "more than a few minutes". This last time, it was the only time I waited 15min but that was mostly because I was distracted on my phone and lost track of time. I am only referring to ORD. At other airports, no matter if I goto the 1K line or not, it seems that they expect me to use the kiosk so there is no difference. Maybe I get faster service to pickup my bag. At ORD, when I goto the 1K line, I am expected to NOT use the kiosk. At other airports, I just scan the barcode on my phone. ORD is the only airport where they use different scanners which dont work on my phone around 90% of the time. Thus I just goto the 1K line. In the PAST, I've always found the line to be faster.

When you use the kiosk:
1. Sometimes there is a line
2. Sometimes the kiosk is slow. I've had times where it has taken over a minute for my reservation to be found.
3. You have all the screens, confirm seat, select how many bags, reject mileage offer, reject volunteering. It's quick but still takes a little time and is annoying.
4. You have to wait for an agent to come over and put the tag on your bag. This sometimes can take several minutes.

At the 1K line (at ORD):
1. Typically there would be no line
2. The agent seems to be able to quickly check me in
3. The agent is already there so no waiting for someone to tag your bag.
4. There is also the feeling that you may be getting a better agent and have a lower likelihood of errors, though I dont know how true this is. (I've had people forget the priority tag, not that it always means anything)
In most cases, I've found the line faster except for this past month or so.

If I am not checking bags, I suppose the kiosk is usually faster. However, I often travel with things which cannot be carried on. Also, if I am connecting (which I often must out of PHL), I rather check my bag for convenience so I don't have to lug it around the airport or worry about having overhead space.

To your point, this is a very small sampling.

I thought that was a requirement of FT membership
I always swipe a credit card when using the kiosks.
That said, I hate the new system. Friday at SFO, they had ONE agent manning the Premier bag drop. No separate 1K/Polaris line.
I guess from when I first started to fly, I felt that the time between dropping off my car, taking the shuttle to the terminal, checking in, going through security, always felt a little "rushed", meaning a higher chance I might misplace something. So I have a habit of having the minimum out of my bag. Usually it is my ID (which is required to check a bag and get through security) and my phone which I always have out anyways. I even use my GE ID generally since I don't care so much if I lose it.

My complaint really goes more towards staffing. I recall two agents at the 1K line, 2-3 agents at the premier line. When I went over there, there was no one in the premier line, why not send someone over to the 1K line. I would THINK that the 1K line is supposed to be faster and more convenient like when you call the 1k customer service line. If it is going to be slower, why don't they rename it to "Manual/Non-Kiosk line" or "Additional Service line"
Old Feb 18, 2019, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
OP's experience does not reflect mine but I avoid ORD like the plague and almost never have to deal with check-in there. I have dealt with check-in at DEN, IAD, DCA, BOS, HNL, etc. and almost never have an issue but then I generally use the kiosk and don't have a problem memorizing 3 letters and 4 digits.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Long ago when I used to fly UA internationally, primarily from SFO to Asia; the GS/FC/1K lines were usually long whilst the economy lines on the other side of the check in island was non-existent. I would meander on over to the economy lines and get checked in. Amazingly I still got to keep my seat in FC or Biz even though I’d checked in at the economy line. It’s worth a shot next time you’re in this situation, they might even let you keep your original seat as well!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.