Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Any UA UC restrictions like DL SC access restrictions coming to UA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2023, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Hi all!
Will Chase limit lounge visits for the Sapphire Reserve and the United Infinite credit cards like Delta's American Express credit cards?
https://thepointsguy.com/news/delta-skyclub-access-changes/
Old Sep 13, 2023, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by FlyinMoose
Hi all!
Will Chase limit lounge visits for the Sapphire Reserve and the United Infinite credit cards like Delta's American Express credit cards?
https://thepointsguy.com/news/delta-...ccess-changes/
Centurion lounges frequently have 10-20 minute lines/waitlists. I’ve never had to wait for a United Club. So my vote is no, at least for 2024.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by SFO_LOW_CLOUDS
Centurion lounges frequently have 10-20 minute lines/waitlists. I’ve never had to wait for a United Club. So my vote is no, at least for 2024.
The restrictions on AMEX-enabled visits are for the Sky Clubs.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 8:38 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by FlyinMoose
...and the United Infinite credit cards like Delta's American Express credit cards?....
The chase Infinite card includes a full United Club membership (usable for partner lounges) which is included in the annual fee. The DL/AMEX agreement was very different and was not a true membership)
AMEX has its own lounge network, Centurion lounges.

Not aware of Sapphire Reserve access to UCs. Sapphire Reserve has a Priority Pass access to other lounges. UA UC is not part of the Priority Pass system.

This is a very apples and oranges comparison.
dw, moondog, jsloan and 13 others like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 13, 2023 at 8:48 pm Reason: Sapphire Reserve
Old Sep 13, 2023, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Let's all tell the impending influx of DL flyers that UA is quadrupling their MQD requirements for status, there will be no United Clubs any longer and CPUs are going away. (Shhh - don't tell anyone!)

-RM
jsloan, seanp7, rajsbasi and 6 others like this.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Emotions are running hot and heavy over at DL subforum Kinda the same thing when UA implemented PQP, well, until UA's next iteration of updates.

These are business transactions. Don't get emotionally invested one way or the other, and your life will be better.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 11:10 pm

Programs: UA Plat , HHonors Gold, Marriott Plat, Avis President's Club
Delta didn't give out free Club passes for having their entry level card. United and Chase would surely eliminate the day passes before they escalated to a Delta level bloodbath.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The chase Infinite card includes a full United Club membership (usable for partner lounges) which is included in the annual fee. The DL/AMEX agreement was very different and was not a true membership)
AMEX has its own lounge network, Centurion lounges.

Not aware of Sapphire Reserve access to UCs. Sapphire Reserve has a Priority Pass access to other lounges. UA UC is not part of the Priority Pass system.

This is a very apples and oranges comparison.
There's nothing to stop UA from following DL's lead. Depending on DL's performance, I could totally see UA revamping its FFP and the Chase UC membership.
zombietooth likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2023, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looks like United is not alone in portraying generally negative news as something their flyers want

”Delta continues to innovate our SkyMiles Program based on customer feedback to remain
the industry's premier loyalty program.”

Look familiar?

I guess the complaint was “Sky Clubs are too crowded”. The solution was to expose fewer people to crowded Clubs by not allowing them in so often.
Old Sep 14, 2023, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Looks like United is not alone in portraying generally negative news as something their flyers want

”Delta continues to innovate our SkyMiles Program based on customer feedback to remain
the industry's premier loyalty program.”

Look familiar?

I guess the complaint was “Sky Clubs are too crowded”. The solution was to expose fewer people to crowded Clubs by not allowing them in so often.
By doing that, DL basically destroyed the value proposition of the AMEX Reserve cards. I ain't paying $550/year for only 10 visits. If Chase and UA were to limit the number of entries into a UC, I would cancel as soon as possible.
Old Sep 14, 2023, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lsquare
By doing that, DL basically destroyed the value proposition of the AMEX Reserve cards. I ain't paying $550/year for only 10 visits. If Chase and UA were to limit the number of entries into a UC, I would cancel as soon as possible.
Yeah - I would NEVER pay $59 for UC access. DL is making it $55/visit for cardholders. The real pain for DL flyers will be at airports w/o Centurian lounges (or inconvenient-to-DL-gate Centurian Lounges). Sure would be interesting to see Delta’s calculation on all that the changes involve.

A bunch of steamed Medallions over there, threatening to go elsewhere. United might have to institute limits also if enough of those grumps stomp this way

UA could first reduce capacity by limiting access to two hours prior to a flight (w/exceptions for visits between connecting UA/*A flights on same PNR).
zombietooth likes this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Sep 14, 2023 at 12:47 am
Old Sep 14, 2023, 12:40 am

Originally Posted by lsquare
There's nothing to stop UA from following DL's lead. Depending on DL's performance, I could totally see UA revamping its FFP and the Chase UC membership.
Why would United do this right now though? Delta had a problem - way too many people with access to their lounge. United does not have this problem. Sometimes there is no place to sit during peak times, yes, but I've never seen a major line to get into a United Club like Delta has. United has been investing in additional capacity - it makes no sense to cut access and thus their revenue and ROI.
Old Sep 14, 2023, 1:40 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Don't Care

I already dislike the UCs, so I wouldn't care what UA does. I rarely go there anyway even though my clients provide me free access. However, I do visit the Sky Clubs reguIarly and will get rid of the DL Reserve card in JAN '25. I really only got the card for the companion First Class Cert. but, absent the club access, it isn't a good enough deal. Lord knows, I don't need any more useless miles.
Old Sep 14, 2023, 4:32 am

The JPMorgan reserve card has UC membership and is a more exclusive version of the sapphire reserve (and higher $595 annual fee) ... but because of the stricter requirements of JPMorgan reserve vs sapphire reserve , don't expect that to be an issue.

Anyone know why Delta is facing such issues? Volume of passengers and sky club membership compared to United's? It's like the third time deltas been modifying lounge access and still no luck

Remember that United is also making tweaks to *G/UC and J/Polaris access. Wouldn't be surprised if some more tweaks come out
Boraxo, ContinentalFan and lsquare like this.

Last edited by paperwastage; Sep 14, 2023 at 4:46 am
Old Sep 14, 2023, 5:09 am

The trick, apparently, is to not make the food so good that the Club becomes a feeding station.
zombietooth likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.