FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Pay for wifi to watch movies?!? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1956508-pay-wifi-watch-movies.html)

UAPremierExec Feb 15, 2019 2:39 pm

Pay for wifi to watch movies?!?

Man how times have changed. Didn't realize how evil United has become.

On YVR-Den and planned on watching a movie, made sure I had the latest app, and when I select a movie it puts me on the app page to buy wifi... OUCH!
FWIW I'm an IT professional & know how all this works. I've restarted 4x, cleared cache, etc...

pushmyredbutton Feb 15, 2019 3:13 pm

This doesn’t sound right. I wasn’t aware you could even buy WiFi through the app. Doesn’t that portal only exist thru Unitedwifi.com?

Did the app launch the external browser?

docbert Feb 15, 2019 3:19 pm

What did the flight attendants say when you asked them about it?

AirMiles2001 Feb 15, 2019 3:56 pm

Were you on UX? I find the GoGo internet or whatever it is that they use is a real struggle for my iPad to connect to and get just the movies on demand.

thejaredhuang Feb 15, 2019 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by UAPremierExec (Post 30783543)
Man how times have changed. Didn't realize how evil United has become.

On YVR-Den and planned on watching a movie, made sure I had the latest app, and when I select a movie it puts me on the app page to buy wifi... OUCH!
FWIW I'm an IT professional & know how all this works. I've restarted 4x, cleared cache, etc...

That happened to me, its just a small glitch as your device thinks that since there is no internet (sending and receiving data) you need to "login to the portal". If you close out that page and go back to Movies and Entertainment it should bring you into the Movie and Entertainment that's available on your flight.

Kacee Feb 15, 2019 4:08 pm

Just to be clear, UA does not charge for personal device entertainment (PDE).

JHake10 Feb 15, 2019 4:58 pm

I bought wifi today and couldn't even refresh my Gmail app. Imagine streaming a movie.

WineCountryUA Feb 15, 2019 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by JHake10 (Post 30783986)
I bought wifi today and couldn't even refresh my Gmail app. Imagine streaming a movie.

PDE content streams from the plane's server and not via a connection to the ground (which is needed for gmail). The two are mostly inrelated unless the plane's server is down. Very common for PDE to be working but no internet.

cfischer Feb 15, 2019 5:37 pm

sounds like this was a malfunctioning device the OP had rather than an issue with UA policies. Sometimes happens ... but not UA's fault ;)

tht Feb 15, 2019 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by UAPremierExec (Post 30783543)

I have had issues before another one to check is that you don’t have a VPN trying to auto connect.

UAPremierExec Feb 15, 2019 6:28 pm

Lady across aisle had same problem.

On my tablet, I'd click on "entertaintment", would tell me to click on a link to a website to "preview what's available on your flight". Website comes up, with HUGE selection of movies, click on movie, warning about the app is there, click to "watch". Then get a black screen about the app, and to click "here" to open it up in the app, or i need to purchase wifi to download the UA app (which, I triple checked was current before pushback). Then when it opens the app, its the page for wifi payments. Can't get around that.

Then click back on entertainment, rinse, spin, repeat.

so I bought the 30 minute package for $9 -- still wouldn't load the movies.

I rebooted my Samsung Tab A three times. I cleared the cache three times. Did a HARD reboot. Still nothing. VPN off.

lady across aisle also couldn't watch movies. Said it was like this on her flight from San Fran to Vancouver earlier.

UAPremierExec Feb 15, 2019 6:39 pm

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...c95cb6e702.jpg

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...4408728077.jpg

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...86c2994d5c.jpg

bigshooter Feb 15, 2019 7:05 pm

The PDE system wasn't working correctly then... this is the page you get when it's offline. You don't need to pay for wifi to access movies. Sometimes the system breaks though.

laxmillenial Feb 15, 2019 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by UAPremierExec (Post 30784209)
Lady across aisle had same problem.

On my tablet, I'd click on "entertaintment", would tell me to click on a link to a website to "preview what's available on your flight". Website comes up, with HUGE selection of movies, click on movie, warning about the app is there, click to "watch". Then get a black screen about the app, and to click "here" to open it up in the app, or i need to purchase wifi to download the UA app (which, I triple checked was current before pushback). Then when it opens the app, its the page for wifi payments. Can't get around that.

Then click back on entertainment, rinse, spin, repeat.

so I bought the 30 minute package for $9 -- still wouldn't load the movies.

I rebooted my Samsung Tab A three times. I cleared the cache three times. Did a HARD reboot. Still nothing. VPN off.

lady across aisle also couldn't watch movies. Said it was like this on her flight from San Fran to Vancouver earlier.

So it didn’t work when you didn’t buy WiFi.
And you paid for WiFi and it still didn’t work.

Shouldn’t this kind of give you the hint that it’s not the WiFi being bought / not bought that’s the issue?

FYI read the other forum; United broke IFE for computers / tablets. Many have expressed that they’ve experienced issues starting late 2018.

asquare Feb 15, 2019 11:28 pm

I ran into this problem once. This means that the app isn't registering that you were on the flight. I seem to recall that I solved it by making sure that the DNS servers were allowed to be automatically set instead of the DNS server I had inputted to see if it would improve speed (it didn't). Of course this was a while ago, so I may be totally off base