Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

787-1 vs.. Disparity between seat map and plane type at check-in?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2019, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Brand loyalty is for suckers

Flying EWR-SFO tomorrow in the 781 (booked it expressly for that purpose, as I wanted to see the new transcon biz, and don't normally fly out of EWR). When I checked in online this morning, I was surprised (and very disturbed) to see the 788 listed as the plane type, even though the seatmap looks like the 781. I called UA, and then said to ignore what equipment the web site is telling me at check-in, and that these errors happen all the time.

Interestingly, FlightAware lists it as the "B78X" today, then "781" tomorrow, and "B78X" again on Sunday.

So.. any chance I'm in for a very unhappy surprise?
Old Feb 15, 2019, 10:54 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by OhDoctor
Flying EWR-SFO tomorrow in the 781 (booked it expressly for that purpose, as I wanted to see the new transcon biz, and don't normally fly out of EWR). When I checked in online this morning, I was surprised (and very disturbed) to see the 788 listed as the plane type, even though the seatmap looks like the 781. I called UA, and then said to ignore what equipment the web site is telling me at check-in, and that these errors happen all the time.

Interestingly, FlightAware lists it as the "B78X" today, then "781" tomorrow, and "B78X" again on Sunday.

Swaps happen, especially when new types (787-10 is the proper designation) are being introduced. Currently, UA has only four 787-10s flying. As new ones come on line, they are inserted as subs for other types to get them air time (usually domestic) before being introduced into normal rotation. If there is any problem with one of the birds -- and it can be anything from mechanical to ATC to crew, swaps can and will happen.

So we have to set our expectations appropriately!
Old Feb 15, 2019, 11:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wxguy
Swaps happen, especially when new types (787-10 is the proper designation) are being introduced. Currently, UA has only four 787-10s flying. As new ones come on line, they are inserted as subs for other types to get them air time (usually domestic) before being introduced into normal rotation. If there is any problem with one of the birds -- and it can be anything from mechanical to ATC to crew, swaps can and will happen.

So we have to set our expectations appropriately!
That's all well and good, and I understand swaps happen in general. I was more interested in two specific peculiarities, namely:
1) Why does FlightAware list two separate planes (B78X and 781) which are both, supposedly, the 787-10? and
2) Why does the United web site tell me the plane will be the 787-800, even though the seat map is still the 787-10?
and a bonus third question:
3) Should I believe the UA agent who tells me to ignore the equipment type listed on the check-in, and that the plane will indeed be the 787-10?
Old Feb 15, 2019, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Where did you see 788 displayed? I see Boeing 787 Dreamliner aircraft #1002 , along with a 781 seat map. Per the fleet website, that's a 781 -- N17002.

A swap is always possible, but a 781 -> 788 seems really improbable. The 781 is 44J/274Y; the 788 is 36J/183Y. That's a lot of displaced passengers.

1) Why does FlightAware list two separate planes (B78X and 781) which are both, supposedly, the 787-10?
FlightAware aircraft identifiers are often like that. It just means that their database doesn't have a specific 787 variant type for the tail number being used today, but that they do have one for the tail used tomorrow.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 11:11 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
I have seen this specific display error on my previous flight. The issue is big enough that the display screens at LAX could not identify the gate assigned even though the flight was boarding.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Well, I can't see what you're seeing on the check in pages. This is what the rest of us can see from United's flight status page:

David
Old Feb 15, 2019, 2:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Should I believe the UA agent who tells me to ignore the equipment type listed on the check-in, and that the plane will indeed be the 787-10?
How would it affect your plans? You're not going to fly if it's not a 781? You would choose one of the 752s instead?

Originally Posted by jsloan
A swap is always possible, but a 781 -> 788 seems really improbable. The 781 is 44J/274Y; the 788 is 36J/183Y. That's a lot of displaced passengers.
And the flights EWR-SFO and vv this week have been booked close to 100%. A downgauge of that magnitude would be quite unlikely.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA Gold
I don't think you need to worry. UA2006 last night was also showing as 788 on the website during check in, but the actual aircraft is definitely 781. It's most likely a listing bug.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee
How would it affect your plans? You're not going to fly if it's not a 781? You would choose one of the 752s instead?
I should be flying from JFK-LAX. i'm flying EWR-SFO then connecting to LAX for the sole purpose of trying the 787-10. i might try to fly direct if i was on the older 788, but i'm reassured by the responses here.

Originally Posted by willsplashing
I don't think you need to worry. UA2006 last night was also showing as 788 on the website during check in, but the actual aircraft is definitely 781. It's most likely a listing bug.
Yes, a UA rep confirmed to me this is a known issue and they're working on it. Good to know!

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 16, 2019 at 11:50 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Feb 15, 2019, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
I should be flying from JFK-LAX. i'm flying EWR-SFO then connecting to LAX for the sole purpose of trying the 787-10. i might try to fly direct if i was on the older 788, but i'm reassured by the responses here.
You can also fly 78J to/from LAX. Schedule is changing tomorrow, but there should be at least one daily in each direction. I just came in on one today from LAX.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Repooc17
You can also fly 78J to/from LAX. Schedule is changing tomorrow, but there should be at least one daily in each direction. I just came in on one today from LAX.
At the time that I booked, the EWR-SFO flight was listed as the 787-10, but not for EWR-LAX on that same day. Who knows. I'm actually flying in the 787-10 back direct from LAX-EWR.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 6:10 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Generally speaking, the “flight status” view is more accurate than the “check in” view.
OhDoctor likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 7:22 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Just to clarify Boeing's naming convention.... the OP asked:
2) Why does the United web site tell me the plane will be the 787-800, even though the seat map is still the 787-10?
There are three versions of the 787. This link takes you to the Boeing Website where the three models are described.
787-8
787-9
787-10
There is no such thing as a 787-800.

The UA Fleet Website (click on the "87" tab) refers to their internal UA codes as 78V, 78Z, and 78J respectively.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 9:34 pm
Original Poster

Tell that to UA's IT department! Although I think they obviously mean the 787-8.

Just to clarify Boeing's naming convention.... the OP asked:

There are three versions of the 787. This link takes you to the Boeing Website where the three models are described.
787-8
787-9
787-10

The UA Fleet Website (click on the "87" tab) refers to their internal UA codes as 78V, 78Z, and 78J respectively.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 16, 2019 at 11:52 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Feb 15, 2019, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And, closing the loop; the external codes are 788, 789, and 781.
wxguy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.