Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GS Agents not informing of change fees?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2019, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by wxguy
Waiving a change fee is neither a published, nor an unpublished benefit of GS. If it happens, it's an unexpected courtesy.
According to UA, and they have told me this in writing, all GS "unpublished benefits" are merely case by case waivers that can vary between agents and there is no way for UA to tell GS members what they are or when they change. You just need to call and find out what the special of the day is, hence the changes to CPU, RPU, T class conversions, PZ class conversions, etc, without any notice.

They way UA can devalue GS benefits at their whim with impunity as it was always just an informal waiver.

Given that some agents do waive fees for GS, it's fair to assume that you'll be told when they are assessing a change fee.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 2:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Ari
Isn't that how United turned "Dao" into a verb? I think we can do better than that. A nuanced approach to many things in life is in order, including airlines change fees. I don't agree with waiving change fees for United's highest-revenue customers as a policy, but on a case-by-case basis, it isn't so terrible.

The OP's complaint appears to be the lack of breakdown in the change fee versus the fare difference. Knowing the why behind the complaint, it strikes me as a little petty. But a breakdown is the appropriate way to quote a change because that's how it shows up on your credit card and that's how United's fare rules treat it.
No, it is not. Dao has nothing to do with this.

"Nuanced approach" leads to OP's such as this as well as the folks who claim at the gate that they've always been able to board with their steamer trunk as a carry on. They are probably correct and they have come to rely on it.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 3:58 pm

Programs: UA GS
Given how difficult it is to read the fare rules on United.com, it is perfectly reasonable to expect an agent to disclose any required fees when making a change, regardless of the expectation of a waiver.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 4:23 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

I called today to use the proceeds of a cancelled ticket.
The agent asked me what flights I wanted and she priced the itin.
She told me the add/collect and then told me that there would be a $200 fee.
I told her thanks, but my original was under a weather waver.
She checked the record and verified it was.
Then she only charged me the extra $80.
But she mentioned the fee. And every single time I have called to do this (albeit only a few times a year), they always mention the fee.
I would assume the OP's was a one-off.
Ari likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 3:56 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Changing a flight tomorrow, I see how it goes. First change as GS. From reading this thread nothing seemed to be guaranteed. Will post follow up in a few days.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 8:41 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
It's always YMMV, but I'd say in most cases as GS, fees were waived... and in some cases, even slight fare differences were too....especially if the flights I was moving around on were wide open.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 2:55 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by LAXOGG
I have never had a GS agent waive a change fee, nor would I expect them to. They have also informed me of the fee on each occasion.
Same here. One fare change by 89 cents one time and I was asked how I would pay for that.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 5:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 1MM
OP here. This post wasn't to complain, I was just asking other's experiences. The fact that change fees weren't disclosed twice in a row made me think that GS had changed their internal policy or approach to disclosing said information.

Also, both cases were a buy up..... therefore, I would have 10000% requested a waiver if I had been informed.

At the end of the day, I was charged what I was told - in total - and that's fine. I'll just make sure I ask the question moving forward.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 1:40 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by avi8tir
Also, both cases were a buy up..... therefore, I would have 10000% requested a waiver if I had been informed. ....
If it was an up-fare to a higher cabin (not just a fare class change) the change fee waiver should have been automatic.
Old Feb 17, 2019, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
If it was an up-fare to a higher cabin (not just a fare class change) the change fee waiver should have been automatic.
+1.
And if it wasn't I would call and and ask for a refund.
iluv2fly likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 1:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Gold (Current Platinum), United Mileage Plus, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Kacee
Let's be real about what happened here. OP thought the agent was waiving change fees. He later found out that while he was charged the correct amount, the change fee was not waived. That is the complaint, and I believe it unwarranted.
Originally Posted by avi8tir
OP here. This post wasn't to complain, I was just asking other's experiences. The fact that change fees weren't disclosed twice in a row made me think that GS had changed their internal policy or approach to disclosing said information.

Also, both cases were a buy up..... therefore, I would have 10000% requested a waiver if I had been informed.

At the end of the day, I was charged what I was told - in total - and that's fine. I'll just make sure I ask the question moving forward.
I am glad the OP came back to clarify what this post was about. .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.