Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

am I breaking any rules if I let friend/co-woker use my UA *A Gold for overweight bag

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

am I breaking any rules if I let friend/co-woker use my UA *A Gold for overweight bag

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2019, 11:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
As others have said, if you're willing to take full responsibility for a bag and its contents, then there's no issue here. I think that's pretty straightforward. I've had agents automatically put all bags under my name on more than one occasion when I've been the only 1K in a group -- both when it's been family and otherwise, assuming we all checked in together. Hasn't bothered me, because I wouldn't be checking in together with someone I didn't trust that thoroughly.
Phil Level and Silver Fox like this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I got into trouble at YVR last year on YVR-SFO flight.My colleague had a couple of bottles of liquid in her bag (which resulted in overweight), and the overweight bag was checked using my name to get around the overweight fee.The bag was scanned while I went to clear immigration at the US side, and officer looked at my Global Entry printout and asked me what was the content in the two bottles of liquid. Unfortunately, I had no clue. My colleague had already cleared immigration so I couldn't ask her, so I had to come clean and tell the officer the bag belonged to my colleague and I had no idea of the liquid content. In the end, I got a good scolding from the officer and warned me not to check other people's bags under my name. My colleague had to claim the bag and rechecked with United and paid the excess bag fee.I know the incident I described above is probably rare but just want to share it as a data point. At least, OP should know the exact contents of bag just in case being asked.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 12:05 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
We just hope we don't see you on next season's of Locked up Abroad.....
worldwidedreamer likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 12:46 am

Programs: UA 1K, Amex Plat, UA Club Card, National EE, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓
I think OP intended to ask if they could just give their UA Gold physical card to their co-passenger to avoid checked bag fee. That would be a clear violation of airlines FF policy. If the agent compared names on physical card and boarding pass, they could flag both the accounts for internal follow-up (rare).

Bag fees are a very profitable endeavor for the airlines. Get a CC with baggage benefits if you expect to fly that airline more than 2-3 times a year. With United Chase Explorer Card, ($99 annual fee), you get free bag, primary car rental, 2 club passes, 25% WiFi discount among other benefits. It’s a no-brainer for entry level flyers.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 1:19 am

Programs: Latam Pass Black; UA 1K, 1MM; Marriott LT
I always check Mrs Limey's bag before I check it in under my name :-)
Old Feb 15, 2019, 4:57 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA Gold/1MM, AS MVP 100K, AA Gold
As one person said, it can get tricky if it’s international so I wouldn’t advise that unless you know everything that’s in the bag.

Orherwise, while unlikely, you’ll have to submit the claim if it doesn’t show up or is damaged.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 5:10 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by TechMarauder
As one person said, it can get tricky if it’s international so I wouldn’t advise that unless you know everything that’s in the bag.

Orherwise, while unlikely, you’ll have to submit the claim if it doesn’t show up or is damaged.
the caveat to never do this internationally is a good one. “Has anyone asked you to carry anything on board”....
Old Feb 15, 2019, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by TechMarauder
This was the first thing I thought of. Just a guess, but I'd say the likelihood that an airline loses the bag is significantly higher than having a work colleague transporting illegal materials. I've only had to deal with missing/delayed bags twice. Both times were a pain. I imagine it would be worse having to deal with it on behalf of a work colleague.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 5:48 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by villox

the caveat to never do this internationally is a good one. “Has anyone asked you to carry anything on board”....
I think the actual question is "Has anyone you don't know asked you to carry anything...." The recorded PA announcement at EWR definitely add the "that you don't know" language. All the above caveats are valid though, especially the possibility that "your" bag is delayed and you have to wait at the baggage claim office to file a claim. Full disclosure at bag drop is usually the best solution.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 6:05 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta, AA, Marriott
#2 has the "correct" answer and what might happen if....
but we all do it. Often if I check with friend, they automatically check together. We just put all bags on the scale at one time
Old Feb 15, 2019, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
If/when stopped by CBP/whomsoever and asked "Is this your bag?" answer = no. Airline baggage tag is immaterial and does not prove ownership.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 7:03 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by hokiebuy
I think OP intended to ask if they could just give their UA Gold physical card to their co-passenger to avoid checked bag fee.

It's the second time someone has asked/implied this. It says right in the OP that they are on the same flight as their friend. OP says:
Originally Posted by geometry
...if I let my friend or co-worker who is on the same flight as me use my UA *A Gold status to get out of paying overweight bag?

Of course giving someone your UA Gold card won't work, unless you have the same name. It would be a non-started if that's what the OP had said in their first post.

Last edited by MBS MillionMiler; Feb 15, 2019 at 7:43 am
Old Feb 15, 2019, 7:09 am

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Airline baggage tag is immaterial and does not prove ownership.
Indeed. When checking in with other family members, or just other people under the same PNR, the baggage goes on the belt, and only after I receive the claim checks do I even know what bag the GA ascribed to what pax.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 12:54 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eng3
Generally, on company travel, I don't make too much of an effort to save money like this. It all gets expensed anyways and its better to capture the true cost if they are using actual spending to estimate future projects.
Agreed. Why bother saving other people's money? They're only clients. Best to buy full-Y if they let you while you're at it too!
iluv2fly and ExplorerWannabe like this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 1:01 pm

"As a tangent, for some reason when I travel with a companion on the same record and check three bags (within allowance), two are attributed to me and one to my companion. I'm not sure if that's agent streamlining or some system default."

So THEY are automatically assigning two bags to you whether they are yours or not? If you ran into the same problem the above poster ran into - liquid you cannot identify - they can't really blame you, right? They assigned them. So how does this work for security of bags? Why would it make a difference whether someone did it on purpose or if it was assigned by the airline?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.