Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

What if I miss my connection from a partner airline

What if I miss my connection from a partner airline

Old Feb 14, 2019, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Wasn't much better at PEK. Took about 15 minutes to de-ice. Weather delays and runway mess had us in the air almost two hours after scheduled departure - even after we left the gate early.

That said, this was Thursday. No snow in the forecast for Beijing today (already Friday there).
Old Feb 14, 2019, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They could employ the Russian deicing technique:

Thysk likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 6:08 pm

Thank you docbert and hirohito888

Originally Posted by hirohito888
It's a NH 789 that boards passengers from doors 1L and 2L. There are tons of airports in the US with dual jetbridges for boarding: SFO, LAX, JFK, IAH, etc.
Sadly I do not fly into any of these airports except for SFO, and that was once five years ago. I did not see any jet bridges like that when I was there. I have flown into a lot of other US airports and did not see this type of jetbridge available or used. I've not even seen them used at ORD, but then I have not used Terminal 5 there in many years so they may have them for int'l arrivals there. Nor did I see them at EWR the last few times I've been there either.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As much as I detest the bus gates at FRA, I really do like using both ends of the aircraft for boarding and de-boarding.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jkumpire
Sadly I do not fly into any of these airports except for SFO, and that was once five years ago. I did not see any jet bridges like that when I was there. I have flown into a lot of other US airports and did not see this type of jetbridge available or used. I've not even seen them used at ORD, but then I have not used Terminal 5 there in many years so they may have them for int'l arrivals there. Nor did I see them at EWR the last few times I've been there either.
Most US airports with dual jet bridges have only a small number of them. That's because the vast majority of planes used domestically can only use one jetway.

Widebody jets, and a few* extended-fuselage narrowbody jets, have two doors forward of the wing. Most narrowbody jets only have one. You can't connect a dual jet bridge system to a 737, for example, because it would need to span the wing. (The second door is at the rear).

You will sometimes see multiple stairways connected to a narrowbody jet, allowing boarding at the front or the rear; I don't think I've ever boarded this way on United, but I know Alaska used to do it at some of its California airports, and so did Southwest.

* The 757 and the A321, the latter of which United doesn't fly.
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 6:42 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by findark
I'm not familiar with ICN, but most airports deice at a remote pad and then the a/c goes straight to the runway for takeoff. More efficient and minimizes additional ground time after being deiced.
You also aren't supposed to let deicing and anti-icing fluids drain into a normal storm drain for environmental reasons and the remote deicing pad system is an easier way to collect the fluids into one spot for disposal.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 7:35 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
No need to de-ce unless they attempt to takeoff in that weather

Partner airlines are expected to pickup the pieces of a missed connection and sort it out with the ticket issuer later (assuming it was a through fare ticket and they knew you were coming)
Old Feb 14, 2019, 7:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by jkumpire
Sadly I do not fly into any of these airports except for SFO, and that was once five years ago. I did not see any jet bridges like that when I was there.
Google maps can help you see them now! https://goo.gl/maps/sQuYFLsAGTC2

That's SFO international terminal G where every gate has 2, except for gate G91 (the one nearest to the terminal) which has 1, and G101 (the very end one) which has 3 for the A380. A few of the other gates look like they have 3, but that's just an artifact of the sat images overlaying each other and the jet bridges having been moved in the interim.

There's a few in the domestic terminal too, but less - which makes sense given that most domestic flights are narrowbodies, whilst most international are widebody.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
Most US airports with dual jet bridges have only a small number of them. That's because the vast majority of planes used domestically can only use one jetway.

Widebody jets, and a few* extended-fuselage narrowbody jets, have two doors forward of the wing. Most narrowbody jets only have one. You can't connect a dual jet bridge system to a 737, for example, because it would need to span the wing. (The second door is at the rear).

You will sometimes see multiple stairways connected to a narrowbody jet, allowing boarding at the front or the rear; I don't think I've ever boarded this way on United, but I know Alaska used to do it at some of its California airports, and so did Southwest.

* The 757 and the A321, the latter of which United doesn't fly.
FR always boards, and deboards, through stairs at the front and back. It's so much more efficient but not so pleasant in the rain.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 8:52 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by poohhead80
Deicing now.
The scheduled departure time was 70 min ago.

I think my option would be

1. UA metal PEK-EWR-ATL 11PM arrival

2. Ask OZ to put me on OZ PEK-ICN
UA metal ICN-SFO-ATL. (Red eye) 6AM next day

3. ASK OZ to put me on OZ PEK-ICN-ORD then UA ORD-ATL. Midnight arrival
When did ATL come into the picture? I thought you were flying to ORD?

SFO-ATL is not a fun flight... about 6 hours on an A319 from gate to gate. I would take the connection through EWR if you can swing it.

If you haven’t been to ATL in a while, there’s a newish Minute Suites in Terminal T (United’s terminal) where you can nap for a bit for pretty cheap (or free if you have priority pass).
Old Feb 14, 2019, 8:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by jsloan
You can't connect a dual jet bridge system to a 737, for example, because it would need to span the wing.
That hasn't stopped people from trying it.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 12:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Skyteam Elite Plus (KE Morning Calm Premium)
OZ3355 arrived 1145AM
Scheduled departure time UA850 1215PM

I did mad dash run with an OZ ground agent. Passed the transit security check.
I arrived at the gate 1203PM.

UA 850 pulled the jet bridge and started deicing.
I waved to the captain for three good minutes. No avail.

I asked the gate agent to call the captain "three passengers including one business class passenger are coming" The agent said NO.

As OZ agent told me to do, I filled the temporary entry form to China, exited, claimed my bags, went to UA ckeckin. However, the business class passenger stayed in the airport. The agent took care of the bah and handed him new boarding pass.

My final destination is ATL.
Original routing was. GMP-PEK-ORD-ATL.

No night flight IAD-ATL tonight. So NO PEK-IAD-ATL
PEK-EWR is full.
OZ agent gave me PEK-DTW-ATL on Delta. I asked PEK-SFO on UA and SFO-ATL on Delta.

At least I got bulk head isle on transpacific...

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 15, 2019 at 9:11 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Feb 15, 2019, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by poohhead80
My final destination is ATL.
Original routing was. GMP-PEK-ORD-ATL.

No night flight IAD-ATL tonight. So NO PEK-IAD-ATL
PEK-EWR is full.
OZ agent gave me PEK-DTW-ATL on Delta. I asked PEK-SFO on UA and SFO-ATL on Delta.

At least I got bulk head isle on transpacific...
Would one still be eligible for ORC if OZ does the rebooking?

What if the ticketing situation was reversed and it was actually an OZ ticket from the start?
Old Feb 15, 2019, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
United purchased a handful of over the wing jet bridges at Denver to quickly load their TED aircraft and others. One ended up collapsing on the wing of a UA 757 and that was the end of that.
lixiaojuventus likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 8:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I vaguely recall a dual jet bridge system at DEN for TED flights (so for the A320)
Often1 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.