Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Do you fare up or down on hard to upgrade flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2019, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: 1K 2.2MM

As a 1k based in SFO, I have a hard time clearing upgrades especially on routes like SFO-EWR. There was a time maybe until about 18 months ago when I would clear an upgrade maybe 50% of the time on that route, but those days are long gone. Formerly, I would buy a higher economy fare to increase my odds at an upgrade, but when booking a ticket just now I decided to just buy the very lowest fare since I have no chance to clear anyway. Got me wondering what others do in such a situation as this? Low fare, look for buy up? Higher fare and hope for upgrade...or most likely for me now, low fare and sit in Y!!?
Old Feb 14, 2019, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I never buy a higher fare than the lowest unless that higher fare is W and the flight is Polaris and PZ is open.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I have never purchased a higher fare class for the purposes of increasing my upgrade chances, unless you count avoiding BE to remain upgrade-eligible or purchasing a W fare overwater when there was an immediately confirmable upgrade. It's almost never worth it.

I will frequently buy the premium cabin if I don't think an upgrade can clear; not sure if this counts as "faring up" but it definitely means that UA tightening upgrades means more money out of my wallet (to a point)
Old Feb 14, 2019, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I once bought a V fare instead of an W to boost my position on the upgrade list but the V fare was less expensive for some reason.
Air Houston likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 5:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Last week I went to purchase an economy ticket ORD-LHR but it was $4,000 (cheapest fare bucket was M). I couldn’t imagine that so I booked a 3 leg trip to Glasgow for $700 and upgraded outbound over water leg with miles and money and it cleared. Not exactly a big winner but for $1200 at least I saved my GPU and if it had not cleared no risk to me.

ive bought V fares to try to win the W fare lottery and it’s improved my clearing chances measurably. I’ve never had leftover GPU or RPU instruments.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.