Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA to HNL aircraft / seat type question

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2019, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

UA to HNL aircraft / seat type question

We are planning a trip this summer: IAH to HNL. There is one nonstop out of IAH each day and many flights connecting through LAX, SFO, DEN, and ORD. (Rule out ORD.)

We want to go in FC seats. Most of the flights, including the nonstop from IAH use 777s with that gawdawful 2/4/2 seating. There are are also a couple of 757s and 737s with standard FC seats rather than the "pods" on the 777. For a 5.5 hour flight from the west coast, the standard FC seats may be fine. Are the 777 seats worth scheduling around, even if we can get the two aisle/window seats? We've never sat in the 777 FC configuration. Seems strange to be sitting face to face with a stranger, or is there some degree of privacy?

Thanks.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You're not really staring face-to-face, although if you're in the aisle, you can probably see the person in the next row's opposite aisle seat. Immediately in front of you is your in-flight entertainment screen. If you're in 1A, you're not going to see the person in 2A unless one of you is standing.

The 2-4-2 configuration isn't nearly as bad as its made out to be. I'd take that over two recliner seats any day.
nomad420, LAXOGG, Yoshi212 and 3 others like this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
As jsloan notes, the only awkward staring is across the aisle (2B can see 2D in the face). It's not that bad of a configuration; it's just vastly inferior to more modern lie-flat business seats. I would happily take a 2-block on the 77G, and would even choose a middle seat alone on a nonstop instead of connecting on 737s.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 5:26 pm

Programs: UA GS; Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott, Hyatt; Hertz
I don't think any of the non-middle seats are so bad for that flight. They are better than the old 2-4-2. I do think the middle ones are weird because there is only a low and thin separation between them - they are nicely separated from the aisle seats but it feels as though only couples or close friends should be in the two middle seats.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 9:23 pm

Programs: Fomerly UA 1K, now Gold... next year, who knows?
Last summer I flew on a 737 "Max" from HNL-LAX in row 1. Least amount of legroom of any FC seat I've had in years. Never again. My $0.02

Last month flew HA LAX-HNL-LAX and got a round-trip ticket in F with lay-flats for $1100. I liked the HA service better. Food in HA F was far better than UA F.

I prefer the 777 pods to the 757s F seats, but UA seems to have them on & off from LAX-HNL-LAX.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 9:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
For two passengers, assuming you can get a side pair, the 772 is a nice ride in F. Light years better than the domestic F recliner.

The issue with the 772 seat is not that you face other pax, but the 2-4-2 configuration and narrowness of the seat.
drewguy and bluedemon211 like this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 8:32 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Kacee
For two passengers, assuming you can get a side pair, the 772 is a nice ride in F. Light years better than the domestic F recliner.

The issue with the 772 seat is not that you face other pax, but the 2-4-2 configuration and narrowness of the seat.
+1 to this. Only issue is being in one of the 2 middle seats of the 4 group. The main complaint is having to climb over a stranger who may be sleeping.

While narrow, they're not as narrow as domestic F.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by drewguy
...While narrow, they're not as narrow as domestic F.
To fit 8 across, the seats are indeed narrower than just about every domestic F seat. The 772 seat to Hawaii is 19" wide with paltry armrest width. Both these lend to the "sardine can" feel. The domestic recliner F configurations to Hawaii range in width from 20 to 20.5 width with far more substantial armrest width. The ONLY advantage to the 772 is the lie-flat length-wise.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 8:49 am

Programs: Once a somebody now a nobody
I've taken them from ORD and they are okay if you can grab a set of the two outer seats. It's not cutting edge, but it's still lie flat on a nonstop. I would take that over almost any other US3 configuration that includes a stop.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 9:37 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
The domestic recliner F configurations to Hawaii range in width from 20 to 20.5 width with far more substantial armrest width. The ONLY advantage to the 772 is the lie-flat length-wise.
I like the 772 seat - and an 8 hour flight means lie flat is a major advantage - also the recline and ability to put your feet up. You also forgot the large entertainment screen not available on regular F seats which is much better, in my opinion to holding an ipad and using the tray table for your laptop.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 9:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
The ONLY advantage to the 772 is the lie-flat length-wise.
It's a very comfortable seat if you can get past the no personal space and no direct aisle access issues. For pure seating comfort, I've never flown a better J seat. Now whether that outweighs the negatives is a different question . . . .
Old Feb 14, 2019, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
It's a very comfortable seat if you can get past the no personal space and no direct aisle access issues. For pure seating comfort, I've never flown a better J seat. Now whether that outweighs the negatives is a different question . . . .
I will take the sardine can seat for a redeye over a recliner. Was just pointing out that the seat is, in fact, narrower, not wider (as suggested) than domestic F seats.

I'm actually conflicted by the choice between recliner F and coach on redeyes from Hawaii. On either, I'll take a window so I can lean against wall. It's actually more comfortable in coach since the seat is closer to the wall, but I can't resist an upgrade for reasons I can't understand. I don't have the burger or salad or whatever and the only drink I have is a Bailey's on ice as a PDB.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I will take the sardine can seat for a redeye over a recliner. Was just pointing out that the seat is, in fact, narrower, not wider (as suggested) than domestic F seats.

I'm actually conflicted by the choice between recliner F and coach on redeyes from Hawaii. On either, I'll take a window so I can lean against wall. It's actually more comfortable in coach since the seat is closer to the wall, but
I can't resist an upgrade for reasons I can't understand. I don't have the burger or salad or whatever and the only drink I have is a Bailey's on ice as a PDB.
Getting that email or seeing the check mark is always an dopamine hit, even for the short hps!
drewguy likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is this even a question? The worst lie-flat wins over the barcaloungers. Even the worst lie-flat on the plane.
nomad420 and COEWR2587 like this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 11:33 am

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Originally Posted by milepig
Is this even a question? The worst lie-flat wins over the barcaloungers. Even the worst lie-flat on the plane.
Plus the fact that the nonstop from IAH is a 772. So it is lie-flat nonstop versus connecting barcaloungers.
nomad420 and COEWR2587 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.