Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA to HNL aircraft / seat type question

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2019, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by milepig
Is this even a question? The worst lie-flat wins over the barcaloungers. Even the worst lie-flat on the plane.
In your opinion. For a flight to HNL, I'll take an aisle-access lounge-style FC seat over a 19-inch middle-of-the-middle seat that lies flat. Even with the lie-flats, I usually set them more resembling a chaise lounge that truly lie-flat unless the flight is over 12 hours long.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is this even a question? The worst lie-flat wins over the barcaloungers. Even the worst lie-flat on the plane.
Originally Posted by ExplorerWannabe
In your opinion. For a flight to HNL, I'll take an aisle-access lounge-style FC seat over a 19-inch middle-of-the-middle seat that lies flat. Even with the lie-flats, I usually set them more resembling a chaise lounge that truly lie-flat unless the flight is over 12 hours long.
I agree the spacious cabin with barcaloungers was pretty nice, and the seats were just fine for sleeping. The new recliner F is not a barcalounger and is not great for sleeping.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 1:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
For a flight to HNL, I'll take an aisle-access lounge-style FC seat over a 19-inch middle-of-the-middle seat that lies flat.
I don't know which carrier's seat you're referring to, but UA's barcaloungers (which have been gone for years) were not direct aisle access. On the 772A, they were 2-3-2.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
I don't know which carrier's seat you're referring to, but UA's barcaloungers (which have been gone for years) were not direct aisle access. On the 772A, they were 2-3-2.
They were pretty easy to get in an out of without disturbing the aisle passenger, though, which isn't true of the recliners.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 2:53 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by fumje
They were pretty easy to get in an out of without disturbing the aisle passenger, though, which isn't true of the recliners.
In the bulkhead, yes. But not if the seat in front of you was reclined.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In the bulkhead, yes. But not if the seat in front of you was reclined.
Try getting out of the slimline F window seat even with the person in front not reclined!

I can't find what was the barcalounger pitch, but I do believe I was able to carefully step over and out even with the barcalounger reclined, and now I can barely do it without knocking all the drinks off of the faux granite. Of course, I am three years older, but I don't think I've lost that much flexibility.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by fumje
I can't find what was the barcalounger pitch
It was 53-57" on the Hawaii 772s. Post 95. This was tighter than the international aircraft, which may be what you are recalling.

I did like that seat, particularly for a daytime flight.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It was 53-57" on the Hawaii 772s. Post 95. This was tighter than the international aircraft, which may be what you are recalling.

I did like that seat, particularly for a daytime flight.
Thanks, good find. I'm sure it was the Hawaii 772, but I think I was usually able to get 5A when it unblocked, which may have been the 57" pitch.

Still, compare that to the 37"-39" pitch on the slimline F. I don't think the barcalounger was 20" thicker.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I don't think there's any argument that F on the 77H was superior to today's narrowbodies. It's a tossup whether I prefer the 77G or 77H though, and a lot of it depends on how much sleeping I want to do
Kacee likes this.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 6:33 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
For a flight to Hawaii? It absolutely is a question. How do you feel about lying down with a stranger's snoring face 6-8 inches away from your own? That's not uncommon with United's decade-old 777 crap seats. Believe it or not, I've had to contend with seat opponent fat rolls in those seats too.

I would take a barcalounger over that in a heartbeat. In fact, for a flight under 5 hours, I'd rather have one of the domestic First seats, where you at least have a little width.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I do as well, but there’s a world of difference between a 2 inch recline knowing you’re in the face of the person behind you. and however close to flat you want to make it inconveniencing no one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.