Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus - I just hit 10M Miles (RDMs)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MileagePlus - I just hit 10M Miles (RDMs)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2019, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA, TK, Starwood > Marriott, Hilton, Accor
Originally Posted by lincoln841
Earning faster than I can spend though, so this is inevitable.
I am sure you could find volunteers on this board to help you solve that challenge....
jsloan, ajGoes and AceReport like this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Yeah, earn ~1.5M per month.
Not unheard of but high for sure. I know contractors that put everything they can on their Chase MP cards then invoice the client later. They don't buy a stick of gum with cash and run up crazy monthly totals.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador/United 1K
How can you do that? Redeeming miles doesn't earn you anything toward status...
Old Feb 13, 2019, 3:30 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS; Marriott Titanium / LT Plat
Originally Posted by JetAway
Use Chase points to pay for flights booked through Chase Travel (operated by Expedia)-either all points or points plus cash. Same as a revenue ticket.
Okay, sorry to be dense here - but basically the process looks like this:

1.) Convert my award miles to chase points
2.) Book travel through Chase Travel (paying with my new chase points)

The trouble is, I can't seem to find where to do this.

Last edited by jonisflying; Feb 13, 2019 at 3:31 pm Reason: typo
Old Feb 13, 2019, 4:04 pm

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by jonisflying
Okay, sorry to be dense here - but basically the process looks like this:

1.) Convert my award miles to chase points
2.) Book travel through Chase Travel (paying with my new chase points)

The trouble is, I can't seem to find where to do this.
You might need to use the chase sapphire preferred/reserve card to do so. I'm not sure the united cards work the same way.
jonisflying and AceReport like this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 4:09 pm

How? Flying?
Old Feb 13, 2019, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by malgudi
How? Flying?
Likely most of those in the form of UA CC spend.

Personally, I would leverage higher credit card earning choices, which would also allow more flexibility in redemption. Why limit to UA or *A with limited amount of saver awards when credit card points open up a lot more opportunities, and some at even at lower rates than UA.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oblisk
You might need to use the chase sapphire preferred/reserve card to do so. I'm not sure the united cards work the same way.
There is a separate program for United Chase cardholders called MileagePlus Choices (aka United Choices).

However, it's capped at 50K per year in redemptions, IIRC. So, while it may be worth doing to help the OP save $500, I don't think it's going to do all of the things that have been suggested.
jonisflying likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 5:23 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
That's mind blowing. Leave some partner F awards for the rest of us
FlytheTail likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
There is a separate program for United Chase cardholders called MileagePlus Choices (aka United Choices).

However, it's capped at 50K per year in redemptions, IIRC. So, while it may be worth doing to help the OP save $500, I don't think it's going to do all of the things that have been suggested.
Ah, darn, wasn’t familiar with the 50k cap, which is a shame. I guess OP could buy 200 WiFi subscriptions or 120 club memberships.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 9:13 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat

I don't beleive that limitation is correct as I have done higher quantities. The T&Cs do not list any limit.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
I don't beleive that limitation is correct as I have done higher quantities. The T&Cs do not list any limit.
OK, fair enough; I got that number from a blog, and it matched my recollection from when I looked at it before, but I've never used it and could easily be mistaken (or they could have removed the cap).

One cent per mile isn't a great redemption, but I'd rather do that than stockpile so many points. I'd also consider the MileagePlus merchandise and car rental portals to see they had anything I needed.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 9:31 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
OK, fair enough; I got that number from a blog, and it matched my recollection from when I looked at it before, but I've never used it and could easily be mistaken (or they could have removed the cap). ...
You might be remembering the discontinued Choice Points to EQM program which was capped at 50,000 Choice Points (for 5,000 EQMs)

....I'd also consider the MileagePlus merchandise and car rental portals to see they had anything I needed.
Those tend to run roughly 0.75 cpm -- even worse.
jsloan likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 13, 2019 at 9:36 pm
Old Feb 13, 2019, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Those tend to run roughly 0.75 cpm -- even worse.
Sure, but OP may well value miles at well less than 0.75 cpm. With the earning rates described, marginal miles are essentially valueless, and OP may not be traveling enough to use them all up on flights at 1 cpm. Assuming that I was able to purchase things that I was going to buy anyway, I'd rather have, say, $60K savings to invest (from 8MM miles' worth of redemptions) plus 2MM miles left over than 10MM miles, even though I normally value miles at about $0.02/each (and usually attain that when I redeem them).
Old Feb 14, 2019, 4:04 am

Congrats!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.