Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

MileagePlus - I just hit 10M Miles (RDMs)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2019, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador/United 1K

I've been waiting for this day for so long! I finally hit 10M MileagePlus miles after this month's Chase points posted! So excited and just wanted to share it
demkr, am1108, narvik and 13 others like this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lincoln841
I've been waiting for this day for so long! I finally hit 10M MileagePlus miles after this month's Chase points posted! So excited and just wanted to share it
Congratulations!

I hope you have a wonderful time using them. I would start sooner, rather than later, though. Miles are a rapidly depreciating currency. United could change award costs at any time. The introduction of Premium Economy awards with no chart is particularly ominous. Now that you've collected the miles, here's hoping you can collect some memories to go with them.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 11:47 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Mazel Tov!
Old Feb 13, 2019, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
Congratulations!

Miles are a rapidly depreciating currency. United could change award costs at any time. The introduction of Premium Economy awards with no chart is particularly ominous. )
+1
Impressive number but definitely start using them, I purposefully use mine as my account starts to get above 500K. Most here will tell you the value of miles continually decreases as the number of outstanding miles increases.
AirMiles2001 likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 12:32 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by nomad420
+1
Impressive number but definitely start using them, I purposefully use mine as my account starts to get above 500K. Most here will tell you the value of miles continually decreases as the number of outstanding miles increases.
So by burning our miles and reducing the total number that are outstanding, we are actually contributing to everyone's utility by lowering the pressure for future devaluation!
Old Feb 13, 2019, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Now I see why Saver seats are so hard to find.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by transportprof
So by burning our miles and reducing the total number that are outstanding, we are actually contributing to everyone's utility by lowering the pressure for future devaluation!
Now I wouldn't go that far....LOL... But the number of unused airline miles out there is staggering. I haven't seen the number recently but I am sure someone has a recent estimate and can post.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Earn and burn is always a good practice. Stockpile transferable credit card currencies before most airline miles/hotel points - the reward is much greater.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

Definitely burn a lot. Took my family to Asia for a while and it cost nearly 1M miles. Earning faster than I can spend though, so this is inevitable. Will focus on a new airline soon!
Old Feb 13, 2019, 12:53 pm

Going from <10M to >10.3M on a chase point posting must be your monthly spend on the chase card is impressively high. You must hit the PQD waiver immediately. Too bad you can't use miles to get $0.01/mile refunded on accelerator PQM like you can UA tickets charged to the card. Otherwise you could buy 80k PQM for ~$8000, then use 800,000 miles (~3 mo of earnings on the CC) to refund it all and you'd qualify for Plat without needing to set foot on a plane.

Actually, with that many miles you could get $100k in tickets refunded. Designed right, you could spend 1.5M miles to get 15k pqd and 100k PQM (and earn somewhere between 120-165k of those RDM back in earnings. That's a net of 1.3M miles, which seems to be about 3 mo points earnings for you. Really, with 10M miles and earning 300k/mo, I would never do an award redemption -- just buy straight tickets (And J/F at that) and use the miles to get the ticket price refunded.
ctbarron likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

Yeah, earn ~1.5M per month.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 12:57 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Avis President's Club
I have around 300k and want to burn them. Never know when the next devaluation is. On the plus side I'm sure you can get a real nice toaster from the MP catalog
Old Feb 13, 2019, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by lincoln841
Yeah, earn ~1.5M per month.
Okay, so with that many miles per mo you could qualify for 1K every year without spending a dime out of pocket. Actually, if you really wanted to, you could get GS through $50k of travel using 5M miles, which you'd earn back every 4 mos or so. Geez.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 1:35 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS; Marriott Titanium / LT Plat
Originally Posted by prometa
Actually, with that many miles you could get $100k in tickets refunded. Designed right, you could spend 1.5M miles to get 15k pqd and 100k PQM (and earn somewhere between 120-165k of those RDM back in earnings. That's a net of 1.3M miles, which seems to be about 3 mo points earnings for you. Really, with 10M miles and earning 300k/mo, I would never do an award redemption -- just buy straight tickets (And J/F at that) and use the miles to get the ticket price refunded.
Wow! What an interesting concept! I didn't realize you could use miles to get ticket price refunded! Do you have a link that explains that process? I'm sitting on 600,000+ miles...
Old Feb 13, 2019, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by jonisflying
Wow! What an interesting concept! I didn't realize you could use miles to get ticket price refunded! Do you have a link that explains that process? I'm sitting on 600,000+ miles...
Use Chase points to pay for flights booked through Chase Travel (operated by Expedia)-either all points or points plus cash. Same as a revenue ticket.
FTLexMUC and Duke787 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.