Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Travel Waiver: San Francisco Inclement Weather 13-14 Feb 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 13, 2019, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Travel Waiver: San Francisco Inclement Weather 13-14 Feb 2019

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2019, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by PDXpress
Can you change your flight multiple times with a single weather waiver, or only once?
technically once ... but with UAs IT ... I have done it more than once before w/ zero issues.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 8:51 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Can someone explain what I can do here?

I am connecting through SFO tomorrow (en route to TPE) and flying economy. I understand that I can change my flight with no change fee or no costs for fare difference as long as I am still in the same cabin.

When I go to united.com and select my outbound trip and then "change flight" the only available "economy" options are codeshares (AC, BR) with a "$3900 Roundtrip" cost attached to it. All other options are Business/First (with $10k differences).

What exactly do I do here? Or should I just call in and let the phone agent figure it out? Thanks.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by rjp123
Can someone explain what I can do here?

I am connecting through SFO tomorrow (en route to TPE) and flying economy. I understand that I can change my flight with no change fee or no costs for fare difference as long as I am still in the same cabin.

When I go to united.com and select my outbound trip and then "change flight" the only available "economy" options are codeshares (AC, BR) with a "$3900 Roundtrip" cost attached to it. All other options are Business/First (with $10k differences).

What exactly do I do here? Or should I just call in and let the phone agent figure it out? Thanks.
I believe the only United flights to TPE are from SFO, so all you can do with the weather waiver is change your date of travel.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by PDXpress
I believe the only United flights to TPE are from SFO, so all you can do with the weather waiver is change your date of travel.
Ok, thanks. Crap, looks like it is going to be a long day. I'm only in TPE until Monday - so changing dates to later in the week isn't going to work. Wish me luck!
Old Feb 12, 2019, 9:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Where are you connecting from and on which flight?
Old Feb 12, 2019, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Where are you connecting from and on which flight?
AC737 (YYZ-SFO) to UA871 (SFO-TPE), booked on 016 stock.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 9:20 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
AC737 (YYZ-SFO) to UA871 (SFO-TPE), booked on 016 stock.
You have a pretty decent chance it works out fine. The 8 am YYZ departure should not be affected by flow control at SFO. You'll also be getting low on fuel, so they shouldn't make you circle too long, even if the acceptance rate has been drastically cut by the time you reach the bay area
Old Feb 12, 2019, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
You have a pretty decent chance it works out fine. The 8 am YYZ departure should not be affected by flow control at SFO. You'll also be getting low on fuel, so they shouldn't make you circle too long, even if the acceptance rate has been drastically cut by the time you reach the bay area
Thank you! My wife and I appreciate the additional information.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 9:28 pm

Thank you! My wife and I appreciate the additional information.
If you were connecting from LAX or PDX you'd be totally hosed.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 9:30 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
When I go to united.com and select my outbound trip and then "change flight" ....
Weather waiver changes are best done on the phone, the online change can be hit or miss. The downside is those without status may have a wait.
rjp123 likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 10:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Weather waiver changes are best done on the phone, the online change can be hit or miss. The downside is those without status may have a wait.
I tried online just now and it crapped out (error message, call web help)

I called Premier desk and even for them they needed Ops help exchanging a simple domestic (award) ticket to a new routing same dates. Curse you Smisek

on the positive side, my SFO connection is only 14th and they emailed and texted me proactively to offer change/reroute.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 11:36 pm

I think it's about time SFO installed ILS on 19R so they can run CSPR on the 19s. It's astounding that an airport like SFO only has ILS on 19L.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 1:45 am

Programs: Delta, Turkish Elite, American
I am supposed to fly MUC-LHR-SFO-OGG tomorrow. Never fly through SFO and am relatively new to United. I am flexible as is this a vacation, but at this point, any alternative flight would require an overnight in the US at any of the hubs. What are my chances for getting stuck in SFO? I have 2.5 hours connection currently. Not interested in having to pay for an expensive hotel in SFO if possible.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 2:17 am

Programs: Milage Plus 1K 1.3MM, Marriot LT Platinum
Moin!

You should be fine. The long haul international flights are the least affected in any SFO weather waiver. It’s more likely that your outbound to OGG is delayed depending on where it originates. Use the United app to track this just to be sure. I wouldn’t bother rebooking until a leg is canceled.

So long
Ralf
Old Feb 13, 2019, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by kahuna613
I am supposed to fly MUC-LHR-SFO-OGG tomorrow. Never fly through SFO and am relatively new to United. I am flexible as is this a vacation, but at this point, any alternative flight would require an overnight in the US at any of the hubs. What are my chances for getting stuck in SFO? I have 2.5 hours connection currently. Not interested in having to pay for an expensive hotel in SFO if possible.
If one of your segments cancels before your journey begins, keep in mind you can fly MUC-ORD nonstop on LH/UA and then ORD-OGG non-stop on certain days on UA. ORD-OGG is a 772 and is nice in first for the 9-hour flight, not so much in economy. Will require overnight in ORD, though. There’s a nice Hilton attached to terminals 1/2/3.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.