Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Travel Waiver: San Francisco Inclement Weather 13-14 Feb 2019

Old Feb 13, 2019, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Travel Waiver: San Francisco Inclement Weather 13-14 Feb 2019

Old Feb 13, 2019, 8:36 am

Programs: Delta, Turkish Elite, American
Thanks!
Old Feb 13, 2019, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by kahuna613
I am supposed to fly MUC-LHR-SFO-OGG tomorrow. Never fly through SFO and am relatively new to United. I am flexible as is this a vacation, but at this point, any alternative flight would require an overnight in the US at any of the hubs. What are my chances for getting stuck in SFO? I have 2.5 hours connection currently. Not interested in having to pay for an expensive hotel in SFO if possible.
As your journey begins in the EU, United would pay for your hotel and meals in the event of an overnight.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by threeoh
As your journey begins in the EU, United would pay for your hotel and meals in the event of an overnight.
Does EU261 cover weather events like this?
Old Feb 13, 2019, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by bman1002
EU261 requires duty of care, no matter the reason. Weather would just mean EU261 compensation isn't required, but UA would still be required to provide a hotel.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 10:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by bman1002
Yes, provided they are not "extraordinary." The airlines and the courts tend to have different views on what that means.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes, provided they are not "extraordinary." The airlines and the courts tend to have different views on what that means.
This is not true. EU261 standard of care (which includes hotels, meals, phone calls, and frequent updates) applies regardless of the reason for the delay.

The cash compensation is what is only due if the circumstances are not "extraordinary".
Old Feb 13, 2019, 11:11 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by threeoh
This is not true. EU261 standard of care (which includes hotels, meals, phone calls, and frequent updates) applies regardless of the reason for the delay.

The cash compensation is what is only due if the circumstances are not "extraordinary".
You misread my response. I was referring to the compensation provisions. The duty of care issue had already been answered, but in a manner which implied that "weather" excuses comp. It does not, unless the circumstances are "extraordinary."
Old Feb 13, 2019, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I spent all day Monday picking up tree debris from a storm that hit Maui Sunday and Sunday night. Was looking forward to sleeping on redeye flight Monday night OGG-LAX, but 4 hours of it was among the roughest rides in my life. About 3/4s through flight, pilot dropped a couple of thousand of feet into even rougher weather. Spent a little time there before climbing back to original bumpy FL and announcing over PA that they got "bad intel from LAX, but we're only 1:35 from being on deck". Last half hour of flight was smooth. If that stretch of weather has anything to do with Pineapple Express heading West Coast way - good luck!
Old Feb 13, 2019, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
If that stretch of weather has anything to do with Pineapple Express heading West Coast way - good luck!
It's worse than a normal Pineapple Express, as it's combined with cold air from the Gulf of Alaska. Current temp is 48 at SFO, which is about 10-15 degrees below a typical Pineapple Express (though supposed to warm later in the day). Winds from the south at SFO, which will mess up traffic even more.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by sincx
I think it's about time SFO installed ILS on 19R so they can run CSPR on the 19s. It's astounding that an airport like SFO only has ILS on 19L.
I agree.. I was also quite surprised to find that they only have ILS on three of the eight approaches (though I guess the 1s and 10s have space constraints).

They just went through a bad stretch in the last half-hour with winds going over 20 from 180, so they had to put departures on 19R while the widebodies camped at the end of 10L and prayed for a break in the winds.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 5:45 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Well given how many times this type of weather has happened this year...
Old Feb 13, 2019, 6:27 pm

You have a pretty decent chance it works out fine. The 8 am YYZ departure should not be affected by flow control at SFO. You'll also be getting low on fuel, so they shouldn't make you circle too long, even if the acceptance rate has been drastically cut by the time you reach the bay area
Hope OP made it ... the two gates were nearby ^

AC 737
ARRIVED 2 HR, 52 MIN LATE
Toronto Pearson · Wed, February 13
San Francisco · Wed, February 13
Departed Terminal Gate Arrived Terminal Gate
9:04 am 1 F69 1:31 pm INTL G93
Scheduled departure 8:00 am Scheduled arrival 10:39 am

United UA 871
San Francisco to Taipei
Departed Terminal Gate Estimated arrival Terminal Gate
2:39 pm I G98 8:51 pm 2 D8
Scheduled departure 1:35 pm Scheduled arrival 7:50 pm
rjp123 likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by malgudi
Hope OP made it ... the two gates were nearby ^

AC 737
ARRIVED 2 HR, 52 MIN LATE
Toronto Pearson · Wed, February 13
San Francisco · Wed, February 13
Departed Terminal Gate Arrived Terminal Gate
9:04 am 1 F69 1:31 pm INTL G93
Scheduled departure 8:00 am Scheduled arrival 10:39 am

United UA 871
San Francisco to Taipei
Departed Terminal Gate Estimated arrival Terminal Gate
2:39 pm I G98 8:51 pm 2 D8
Scheduled departure 1:35 pm Scheduled arrival 7:50 pm
I was watching this as well. UA held UA871 for connecting pax (departed 2:39 p.m.), so I hope rjp123 was one of them.

AC737 had lots of trouble getting off the ground at YYZ:

RMKS/DELAYED FOR YYZ WEATHER IRROP RECOVERY AND FUTHER ARRIVAL
DELAY DUE TO DEICING
rjp123 likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 9:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Just boarded my YYC-DEN flight. At the next gate there was a YYC-SFO flight originally scheduled for 2pm taking 30 min rolling delays now estimated for 9pm!!! Ouch!

weather must be really bad in SFO right now. Very happy I used the weather waiver to avoid it tomorrow!
Old Feb 14, 2019, 2:58 am

Originally Posted by david_oz
Just boarded my YYC-DEN flight. At the next gate there was a YYC-SFO flight originally scheduled for 2pm taking 30 min rolling delays now estimated for 9pm!!! Ouch!

weather must be really bad in SFO right now. Very happy I used the weather waiver to avoid it tomorrow!
It rained 2.49" in San Francisco today. Average annual rainfall is 23.64". Today delivered more than 10% of the entire year's worth of rain.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.