Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

IAH agent 'shuts door' on Big Bang Theory actress

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IAH agent 'shuts door' on Big Bang Theory actress

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2019, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
Yes, but she is neither [a VIP or celebrity traveler].
Yes, she is. Given that this appears to be a fairly usual situation that happens every day at any airline hub, the only reason we are talking about it is because she is indeed a celebrity.
kimberlyrose and YadiMolina like this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 7:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
She arrived on an ERJ-175 from PIT. Late. Looks like the bag was green tagged due to being too thick to fit in F bins.

Old Feb 13, 2019, 8:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Maybe when the GA said the other people could go and she couldn't because her bag wouldn't fit on the aircraft and theirs would it was because...

...their bags could fit on the aircraft and hers couldn't?
Old Feb 14, 2019, 1:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
She arrived on an ERJ-175 from PIT. Late. Looks like the bag was green tagged due to being too thick to fit in F bins.

If the bag doesn't fit on an E75, I kind of doubt it fits on a 737...
Old Feb 14, 2019, 1:27 am

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by threeoh
This doesn't make sense to me:...But this doesn't jive with the lazy theory either -- not too lazy to let 5 people on and yet too lazy to let 6 people on?

Based on what I've heard, we're missing a piece of the story. What was different about this pax? Size of suitcase? She was already offloaded? She started shouting at GA? Was "at about the same time" really about the same time? It's very hard to say without more info....
Sorry but this actually happened to me with United about two years ago so I do believe it could happen. Not there so obviously I do not have the facts...but in my case,

Arriving flight to from FRA to SFO was delayed but I ran to the gate and arrived five minutes before the other connecting pax (about four of us) after they have started boarding. My BP beeps and I am asked to step the side but the others who got there after me go through. They inform me they have given away my FC seat and I say then please put in Economy - it is only SFO-SAN and I want to get home. They try to tell me there is no room as they are taking STBY pax and that I was late - I point out that I arrived before the other connecting pax that they let on the plane. They seat me on the plane and then take me off for another STBY pax. I was pleasant and polite the whole time and the other GAs cannot work out why I did not get to keep my original FC seat, why I was offloaded and then offloaded again (after I sat in my seat). So I believe it is as reported because it happened to me! Now admittedly it was SFO and not IAH but United has a pattern of doing this as I have spoken to other pax who had this happen to them in SFO as well.

I did end up with Euro 600 out of the whole exercise but would much rather have arrived home on time.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 7:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
this actually happened to me with United about two years ago ... was delayed but I ran to the gate and arrived five minutes before the other connecting pax (about four of us) after they have started boarding. My BP beeps and I am asked to step the side but the others who got there after me go through. They inform me they have given away my FC seat
There are several explanations for this. In general, if you arrive late at the gate, you're subject to being removed from the flight. They don't do this just because they're mean and want to punish people, but in order to accommodate standbys. If in your case there were four late-arriving passengers but only one passenger on the standby list, then I can easily see how only one of the late passengers (i.e. you) gets removed from the flight. They don't remove all 4 late passengers and prevent them from boarding just because they need 1 seat for a standby "just to be fair." Sometimes you get to be the unlucky one. In your case, there was an additional factor: you were in FC. If the standby passenger happened to be a displaced FC passenger, then guess which late passenger gets their seat taken?

Of course, this isn't to say that there aren't sometimes GA shenanigans, but for the most part, when I read stories like the ones in this thread, there are perfectly reasonable explanations other than GA malice that can explain the situation.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
Didn't realize by clicking the white arrow on the Instagram you get a close up of her suitcase.
It's not a closeup ... but the next pic in the slideshow
Old Feb 14, 2019, 11:39 am

Programs: All of them, UA-Plat, 1MM*G
Perhaps all overheads were full and AFF insisted that an empty seat be used to strap-in her bag and she would sit in another seat. Then the GA was confronted with either let AFF use up two seats and disserve two of the other connecting pax -- or disserve AFF and serve two other connecting pax. I think I know the choice I would have made if I were the GA and AFF did not have two seats reserved.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 2:42 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by Steve M
There are several explanations for this. In general, if you arrive late at the gate, you're subject to being removed from the flight. They don't do this just because they're mean and want to punish people, but in order to accommodate standbys. If in your case there were four late-arriving passengers but only one passenger on the standby list, then I can easily see how only one of the late passengers (i.e. you) gets removed from the flight. They don't remove all 4 late passengers and prevent them from boarding just because they need 1 seat for a standby "just to be fair." Sometimes you get to be the unlucky one. In your case, there was an additional factor: you were in FC. If the standby passenger happened to be a displaced FC passenger, then guess which late passenger gets their seat taken?

Of course, this isn't to say that there aren't sometimes GA shenanigans, but for the most part, when I read stories like the ones in this thread, there are perfectly reasonable explanations other than GA malice that can explain the situation.
Understand your comments and perhaps I should provide a little more color. All the other pax had been in J with me and all were in FC on the next flight. There were 10 people on the STBY list. The GA confirmed with me I was fine to be in Y and I sat in the seat for the GA then to come and tell me I could not have the seat and to deplane. The other GAs (there were three of them) asked me why I was not on the plane and if I had complained about being downgraded. I replied no I was happy to be seated in 8A on a SFO-SAN flight as I just wanted to get home. Neither of the two GAs could explain to me why this happened to me as they were as astounded as i was and the GA that removed me refused to talk to me about it. I do believe there are rogue CS agents and as I stated i have since met other pax who connect through SFO who have had similar experiences.

I did write into United and get my EC261 payment. They paid it to me straight away.

So I do think that AFF had the experience she shared and hope United starts to look at some of their practices in this area. United has a late arrival and knows pax are connecting don't give away their seats and if there are seats available on the flight give them to the pax whose seat you gave away.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 7:59 pm
Suspended

I don’t believe a word of the actresses story
Old Feb 14, 2019, 10:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Story sounds off. As if she has never flown on a plane before.
I don't see why a GA would unnecessarily deny boarding since it is extra for from the GA to rebook the passenger.

Bottom line, there is obviously more to the story. She posted just enough information online to stir up some headlines. The full details and whatever really happened will either never get reported or forgotten quickly.

Ironically, I just watch a UA "Connections Matter" video about a couple and sick infant who was also at IAH. They arrived at the gate and the door was closed. Several pax not able to board. This couple says they need to be on the plane because their sick infant needs to get surgery the next morning. GA re-opens the door and lets them on (not sure about the others). So apparently the GA has the ability to get people on the plane but who knows by what criteria. In this actress's case, it wasnt enough
Old Feb 15, 2019, 2:21 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sanfran8080
I don’t believe a word of the actresses story
UA corroborated her being put on a later flight.

Okay just walked from C7 to Near A1. I get the huffing puffing and broken roller bag. From C to B - first stairs, not even an escalator. Then later escalator back up to B (which are out of order, so stairs it is). I can see being in a rush can cause havoc.

IAH is ridiculous. Thank my stars for SFO...

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 15, 2019 at 9:22 am Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member; need personal comment removed
Old Feb 17, 2019, 11:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM
Her first class seat was already given to another passenger. The GA didn't want to mess with an involuntary downgrade and simply avoided the situation. Wouldn't be surprised if the 5 who boarded were all in economy.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 5:13 am

Originally Posted by LimeySD
Her first class seat was already given to another passenger. The GA didn't want to mess with an involuntary downgrade and simply avoided the situation. Wouldn't be surprised if the 5 who boarded were all in economy.
Agree. I was connecting once in LHR, and the bus carrying me from T4 to T3 (yes, it was that long ago) had a flat tire. When I got to the gate, my J seat on a 747 was gone. I got an empty row to myself in Y and several free drinks in exchange.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 5:47 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by eng3
Ironically, I just watch a UA "Connections Matter" video about a couple and sick infant who was also at IAH. They arrived at the gate and the door was closed. Several pax not able to board. This couple says they need to be on the plane because their sick infant needs to get surgery the next morning. GA re-opens the door and lets them on (not sure about the others).
I need to hire me an infant for my future UA travels; they open doors....literally!
Aussienarelle likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.