Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

IAH agent 'shuts door' on Big Bang Theory actress

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

IAH agent 'shuts door' on Big Bang Theory actress

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2019, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I am confused. On my last flight they wanted to see my BP for my next flight and it needed to be within 3 hours (and they did see my original BP). So I can push back and say I am connecting and therefore allowed more than three hours before departure of my next flight. News to me, and great news to me!
Exactly!
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 11:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by claaaaaydavis
Looks like her bag is probably bigger than carryon see her instagram https://www.instagram.com/p/BtuLiMvhhyr/
It was accepted on her inbound flight as carryon. It is technically too large due to expansion, but who hasn’t seen even worse violations brought on board?
Old Feb 13, 2019, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uastarflyer

It was accepted on her inbound flight as carryon. It is technically too large due to expansion, but who hasn’t seen even worse violations brought on board?
Are we sure it was actually carried onto the first flight? It has the you're-gonna-miss-your-connection green gate check tag.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 12:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It's irrelevant.

What matters is that she missed the gate deadline of T-15. At T-16 she should have been boarded and if her bag was too large or there was no room in the OH, it should have been checked. If it was at T-14, she has no beef and that is the case whether someone else was moved into "her" seat or UA sent the aircraft out with "her" seat empty.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 12:37 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
People talk about IAH and the staff, but I was flying COS-IAH-PIT and shockingly the door was held for this UA Gold. I arrived to the gate about 3 minutes prior to departure. Carry on only, with space held for me. Didn't at all expect that.
Aussienarelle likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
People talk about IAH and the staff, but I was flying COS-IAH-PIT and shockingly the door was held for this UA Gold. I arrived to the gate about 3 minutes prior to departure. Carry on only, with space held for me. Didn't at all expect that.
A few years back they actually reengaged the jetway and reopend the door to let me and one other person on the last IAH-TUL flight of the day (late incoming flight). Of course my FC seat had been taken...now that I think about it I think by Amy Farrah Fowler.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by fumje
Are we sure it was actually carried onto the first flight? It has the you're-gonna-miss-your-connection green gate check tag.
Yes so it was delivered back to the jetway. What I mean is the origination flight could have insisted it be checked in to final destination.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
It's irrelevant.

What matters is that she missed the gate deadline of T-15. At T-16 she should have been boarded and if her bag was too large or there was no room in the OH, it should have been checked. If it was at T-14, she has no beef .
I think she says two others boarded at same time. And only she got rejected.

PMUA had its share of Ops issues but there seemed to be more empowerment of agents to use common sense to diffuse unecssary scenarios. Figuring out if one person can take an open seat would be an example.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes so it was delivered back to the jetway. What I mean is the origination flight could have insisted it be checked in to final destination.
They don't do carryon size enforcement when taking or returning green-tagged bags unless the bag is grossly out of size.

I'm not making any statement about the merits or demerits of her complaint, but I don't think that bag had seen an overhead bin on that point in the trip, i.e. it had not been carried on.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by fumje
They don't do carryon size enforcement when taking or returning green-tagged bags unless the bag is grossly out of size.

I'm not making any statement about the merits or demerits of her complaint, but I don't think that bag had seen an overhead bin on that point in the trip, i.e. it had not been carried on.
that is probably correct.

That type of bag even extended fits today’s mainline bins no problem. I have seen countless examples. Seems like GA wanted to be done, close the flight and go home or on break rather than think about possible solutions.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 3:30 pm

Seems like GA wanted to be done, close the flight and go home or on break rather than think about possible solutions.
Or maybe the GA wanted to get the flight out on time and move on to working their next flight so that the next flight could go out on time, a DYKWIA pax showed up after the cut-off and with an out of spec carry-on and started making a scene, and the GA decided not to bend over backwards / make a bunch of exceptions and delay a flight full of pax.

I don't understand why many people on FT just assume the front line pax are "lazy". It happens but it is rarely the most correct or most interesting answer.

As to why the GA let on the other two pax, here we definitely don't have enough info and our only witness here (the person denied boarding) is not that reliable.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by threeoh
Or maybe the GA wanted to get the flight out on time and move on to working their next flight so that the next flight could go out on time,
The timeline doesn’t support this. After all, she spent the time necessary to confirm her on the later flight. In SHARES. Boarding her would have been even faster.

As to why the GA let on the other two pax, here we definitely don't have enough info and our only witness here (the person denied boarding) is not that reliable.
that’s what Oscar and crew initially said about Mr Dao

UA has corroborated Ms Bialik’s being accommodated on a later flight. Actually she says it was 5 other passengers with her - all with carry ons. The 6th was rejected after being told there were seats available.

I doubt she is purposely making it all up. She doesn’t need the money and publicity.

I read the origination flight was from Pittsburgh.

Last edited by uastarflyer; Feb 13, 2019 at 4:20 pm
Old Feb 13, 2019, 4:33 pm

The timeline doesn’t support this. After all, she spent the time necessary to confirm her on the later flight. In SHARES. Boarding her would have been even faster.

This doesn't make sense to me:

(1) We don't know if she was already offloaded or not. It's possible (for whatever reason) she was offloaded but the other 5 weren't.
(2) She can be reaccomodated AFTER the flight goes out. That will not delay the flight.
(3) When I've missed connections in hubs, I've been sent to the central CS counter to be rebooked, while the GA moves on to the next flight

that’s what Oscar and crew initially said about Mr Dao
I feel like there should be a Godwin's Law for Dao on the United FT forum. I don't find this a valuable contribution to this discussion about someone missing their connection.

UA has corroborated Ms Bialik’s being accommodated on a later flight.
Yes, that's what generally happens when you miss your connection.

Actually she says it was 5 other passengers with her - all with carry ons. The 6th was rejected after being told there were seats available.
Sorry, 5 not 2, my bad.

But this doesn't jive with the lazy theory either -- not too lazy to let 5 people on and yet too lazy to let 6 people on?

Based on what I've heard, we're missing a piece of the story. What was different about this pax? Size of suitcase? She was already offloaded? She started shouting at GA? Was "at about the same time" really about the same time? It's very hard to say without more info.

I doubt she is purposely making it all up. She doesn’t need the money and publicity.
I didn't say she's making it up, I said she isn't necessarily a reliable source of the facts. I put on my grain of salt glasses when she called the Gate Agent a "lady stewardess".
Old Feb 13, 2019, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by claaaaaydavis
Looks like her bag is probably bigger than carryon see her instagram https://www.instagram.com/p/BtuLiMvhhyr/
Didn't realize by clicking the white arrow on the Instagram you get a close up of her suitcase.

It's clearly over expanded and with that gate check tag from presumably the inbound.

I suppose the IAH-LAX agent could have gate checked it but that bag shouldn't have made it to a gate to begin with.
FLYMSY and ContinentalFan like this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
We don't know what equipment she was departing on, but maybe:

- PAX shows up at gate after her F seat has been given away
- PAX is informed her bag won't fit in the overhead and must be gate-checked
- PAX refuses, insisting that her bag can go in her F seat (?!)
- GA insists bag must be gate checked
- PAX insists it must not
- GA says ok, and closes the door.

My money is still on PAX gets agitated at the misconnect and simply isn't following what the GA is telling them and eventually the GA gives up and moves on with getting the flight out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.