Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is the archive thread, the active thread is Lufthansa GPUs Go Electronic (How to use, will it clear?, issues w/flight credit,...)

For general information on upgrading ANA or Lufthansa flights with a GPU, see Upgrading Flights Operated by ANA or Lufthansa. You actually request the upgrade through the online form, here: Request a GPU for a Select Partner Airline.

Per United web support, you only need to fill in the required* info.

**The LH flight you are upgrading must be an LH flight, not a UA codeshare flight. If you have a UA codeshare flight, you can call websupport and they will (put you on hold and] change your itinerary to one with an LH flight#.

Note that UA websupport might give you a new ticket # when you do the above, but if the original ticket # was 016 UA stock, it will remain so, and thus you will still be earning RDMs at the UA rate (11x for a 1K), not the *A rate. In case of a $6000 biz fare for LAX-FRA that you are trying to upgrade to F for example, as a 1K you would earn 66,000 UA RDM if booked as a UA flight. And even though after booking you get them to change the UA flight # from a UA codeshare flight to an LH flight, the 016 ticket stock sticks, and you earn 66,000 RDMs.

(FYI, had the ticket stock been an LH stock, the RDM's earned would be 5790 miles x 150% = 8685 RDMs. Big difference)

Note that sometimes the online upgrading does not work, and you may get an error message to call an 877 number, which is now defunct but still resides on .bomb...Ignore it and just call web support. They might put you on hold while they call LH but they will get the job done.

Eligible Economy Fares to Apply a GPU

Upgradeable to business fares include U/H/Q the lowest eligible economy fares. G&E the two top premium economy fares and Y/B/M the most expensive economy fares. (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24219165-post205.html)
While UA has not changed their T&Cs, LH appears to have expanded the potential fare classes
Originally Posted by oliver2002
For C->F upgrade, J, D, C fares are eligible, Z and P fares are not.
Originally Posted by andywaw
Effective April 20th, 2018, all Lufthansa revenue Business Class fares, including P and Z, are eligible to be upgraded to First Class using miles or eVouchers. ...
LH booking class P, Z upgreadable for miles and eVouchers
Appears this also applies to use of UA GPUs IF booked as native flight number on LH or UA ticket stock.
Presently UA is not converting codeshare to native flight numbers, as required for this process, if P or Z fare
From April to September 2018 it was possible to confirm and waitlist P ,Z-class LH flights with a GPU. Confirming and waitlisting is no now longer possible, but previously waitlisted segments will continue to clear as/if available.

Checking for Upgrade Availability

Upgrades to E, C and F come from the N, I and O fare bucket, but its a subset, which theoretically is not the same as the award subset. If awards are available it is a strong indication the upgrade is available too. (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/24861289-post342.html)

In case of upgrade clearing but eticket refresh problems:

Both longhaul LH segments cleared into I after being on waitlist . The first didnt get stickered, so the DCS ( amadeus altea ) rejected online and agent checkin . The eticket helpdesk had to manually update the first coupon for the DCS to accept the coupon. My seat in C was safe, since the PNR was updated correctly, just the ticket was not updated completely to the satisfaction of the DCS. Everyone looking at the booking agreed the upgrade was legit, so you will not be denied boarding or downgraded, just budget enough time
The LH GA must have called the eticket helpdesk and pointed out the * SSR remark in your reservation that shows an upgrade was applied and the e-ticket just needed a fix/sticker. See my experience above.
Checking for availability prior to calling
Upgrades to E, C and F come from the N, I and O fare bucket, but its a subset, which theoretically is not the same as the award subset. If awards are available it is a strong indication the upgrade is available too.
Use ANA or even united.com to see availability.

To check if C/F upgrades may open up, ask in this thread: Determining LH Y/C/F loads? [the help me guesstimate loads thread]

Regarding ticket stock, Oliver reports:
Any ticket stock will do.
Each LH flight segment requires a separate GPU
A single GPU can be used to only upgrade a single LH flight segment, And that GPU cannot be extended to include another LH flight segment or another UA flight segment.

Problems getting mileage credit for upgraded LH segments

Numerous reports of denial of mileage credits (RDMs, PQMs, PQSs, PQDs) for upgraded tickets. This issue is probably due to LH uses the same fare bucket for mileage awards and upgrades. It seems patience, persistence, and documentation of the originally paid fare are needed to get credit.

You probably won't get credit by simply submitting the online form or asking a CSR to do so for you. A CSR needs to submit a System Issue Form, together with the mileage request, explaining that you flew in I class, but you paid for a mileage-earning booking class.

T-10

While the original system did not allow the upgrade waitlist to carry on past t-10 hours, the have been multiple reports that this is no longer the case. If not cleared in advance - the upgrade wait-list will last all the way until the door closing. UA has not updated the text on the LH GPU upgrades to reflect this change.

Archive Thread: Lufthansa GPUs Go Electronic {Archive}

Related Thread
How to upgrade with UA miles on Star Alliance carriers
Print Wikipost

Lufthansa GPUs Go Electronic {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2015, 4:41 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by easyguy
If I book my flight on LH.com (so I only have LH confirmation number),
can I still apply UA SWU to my LH flight (even I don't have
UA confirmation number) ??
Yes, no issues, in fact you need the LH/Amadeus booking code for best results.

Originally Posted by LeviFlight
Hi Folks. A question for the experienced. I am looking at flying LH on an 016 ticket from SFO-FRA-JNB and buying Q fares. flight probably a March Monday, then Tuesday on. what do you think the chances of GPU's clearing? Thanks.
Ask here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...ds-thread.html

Originally Posted by denuaflier
I get error code 999 when I try this on United website and it says call Lufthansa. Lufthansa says they cant do this. Any idea on how to get through this? Thanks.
Call the 1K line, they are supposed to do it.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 6:52 pm

Programs: LH Senator, HHonors Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
does anybody know if the bug pulling 2 certificates for 1 segment has been fixed already? last time it took me over 2hours over the phone to get it back and I'd rather wait till the bug is fixed before requesting it online again
Old Jan 28, 2015, 5:31 pm

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Called in to get my GPUs applied. I booked it late last week, but held off calling until the NE thing settled down and the phone waits lessened.

Called in, asked for agent. Told her what I wanted and she passed me off to the Alliance line. On hold for 5 or so minutes. Woman comes on explains about having to switch from the UA codeshares to LH flights. She goes and does that and comes back and says that she'll now send over my GPUs. She sends the outbound and it gets confirmed, the return is waitlisted. The flight over is the more important so I can get sleep.

28 minutes total. I wonder if UA is loosing govt business since they can't use GPUs anymore. The Alliance agent says that they can't switch the UA codeshares to LH flights so the GPUs can be applied.

She didn't have any vision on the waitlist position.

I they don't clear at 10 hours before the flight, the GPUs come back and upgrade. What are people's plan then? I'm going BRU-FRA-DEN. If I don't hear at T10, do I start calling UA and seeing if I can catch some other flight, like BRU-ORD-DEN and see if teh GPU will clear (or where I'd be on the upgrade list). OR maybe try to bid up to the premium economy on the LH flight?
Old Jan 28, 2015, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by swaigiux
does anybody know if the bug pulling 2 certificates for 1 segment has been fixed already? last time it took me over 2hours over the phone to get it back and I'd rather wait till the bug is fixed before requesting it online again
Nope, it just pulled four GPUs from my account for the two segments....
Old Jan 30, 2015, 1:14 pm

Programs: American Airlines EXP, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I have an itinerary comprised of Lufthansa operated and ticketed Business class flights (in Z and D class). Last week I tried to upgrade one of the D class flight legs to First online. It gave me an error and took 2 GPUs from my account without doing the upgrade. I called the Mileage Plus desk to have my 2 GPUs returned, but they said they could not help me with the upgrade itself.
Today I tried the online upgrade again. This time it worked successfully on both counts - upgraded to First (O), and only 1 GPU deducted.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by PushingTin
Nope, it just pulled four GPUs from my account for the two segments....
I tried sending an email to 1kvoice to see if I could get them back with out having to call back in. No dice. Have to call the Alliance desk since they don't know which GPU is where.

Are GPUs serial numbered?
Old Jan 30, 2015, 2:13 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
I tried sending an email to 1kvoice to see if I could get them back with out having to call back in. No dice. Have to call the Alliance desk since they don't know which GPU is where.

Are GPUs serial numbered?
Yes, there is a clear 016 document noted in the reservation when the system processes the upgrade.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 2:42 pm

Programs: UA G 1.9MM, HH Diamond, Global Entry
I wonder if UA is loosing govt business since they can't use GPUs anymore. The Alliance agent says that they can't switch the UA codeshares to LH flights so the GPUs can be applied.
Huh? I just flew FRA to IAH on a govt Y fare 016 ticket. The *A agent converted my UA codeshare flight number to the LH flight number no problem.

What are the implications in changing a 016 ticket code from the UA # to the actual airline operating the flight - LH?

I would call back later and get another agent.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by spearsba
Huh? I just flew FRA to IAH on a govt Y fare 016 ticket. The *A agent converted my UA codeshare flight number to the LH flight number no problem.

What are the implications in changing a 016 ticket code from the UA # to the actual airline operating the flight - LH?

I would call back later and get another agent.
From UAs website

U.S. government fares are also not eligible for electronic Global Premier Upgrades on Lufthansa-operated flights.
She didn't explicitly state it, but the jist I got was some regulation about govt having to ride on american airlines and a code share on foreign metal was enough, but that a govt ticket couldn't be changed from a UA cod.e to a LH code, even if it stays on a 016 ticket.

Hey, why should ignorance of procedure always only hurt us. If they worked it for you, all the better

Last edited by PushingTin; Jan 30, 2015 at 9:54 pm
Old Jan 31, 2015, 9:51 pm

Programs: CO Platinum/1K, SPG Platinum/Ambassador
GPU On LH Uncleared

I applied a GPU to my LH flight that was originally a UA codeshare. Star alliance desk changed it to LH flight number and requested upgrade. Cleared immediately. Received email confirming GPU was pulled and I had been upgraded. Went to LH.com and picked seat in J.

Now, at check in, it puts my seat back in economy even though it says LH business (i). I'm being told the airport can fix this but nothing can be done w olci. Anyone with experience in this? Is it common and are there work arounds?

Last edited by dparkinson; Feb 1, 2015 at 12:02 am Reason: Updated info
Old Feb 2, 2015, 9:19 am

Programs: UA G 1.9MM, HH Diamond, Global Entry
From UAs website

She didn't explicitly state it, but the jist I got was some regulation about govt having to ride on american airlines and a code share on foreign metal was enough, but that a govt ticket couldn't be changed from a UA cod.e to a LH code, even if it stays on a 016 ticket.

Hey, why should ignorance of procedure always only hurt us. If they worked it for you, all the better
Thanks for the info. The Fly America Act relates to Govt personnel must fly on US carriers or USA code shares, unless there is no US carrier available on that route. The UA GPU page is conflicted, at first it states,

"Please note that U.S. government fares are not eligible for electronic Global Premier Upgrades on Lufthansa-operated flights. Learn more below."

Lower in the page it states, "Please note that certain U.S. government fares are not eligible for electronic Global Premier Upgrade requests on Lufthansa-operated flights." More than likely this refers to deeply discounted govt fares.

I would definitely call back to get another agent who may not be as familiar.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 10:08 am

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Interesting. I got an agent who said they were forbidden from doing it on government fares, hence teh statement on the website.

Would it be so hard to fix the software so it could handle codeshares? (This goes for *A upgrades as well).
Old Feb 2, 2015, 12:06 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
... Would it be so hard to fix the software so it could handle codeshares? (This goes for *A upgrades as well).
The codeshare is *A rule (and the GPU usage is probably leveraged off the same base software) -- probably a combination of ticket ownership / control issues and the need to modify software at all partner airlines. Those types of things don't change easily.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Originally Posted by jmanirish
Hoping to get some questions answered from people here with knowledge or experience with the new electronic GPUs. Mainly because my travel plans are always very fluid/last minute.

1)When is the GPU deducted from the account - when waitlisted, when cleared, or when flown?

1a) If it is when waitlisted or cleared, what is the process if the waitlisted(or upgraded) flight needs to be changed or cancelled? Does the cert go back into the account automatically? Do I need to call the *A number and first have the upgrade removed and then call my corporate TA to change/cancel the ticket? Or can they not be returned?

2) When the UA codeshare is converted to the LH flight number, does that mean LH takes control of the ticket (I believe somebody already answered that it stays a 016 ticket, but since my travel has to be booked/changed through Amex business travel, worried this might screw up being able to change other segments at a later date). ANybody have any experience changing a ticket after the upgraded segment was flown?

Thought I'd update this thread with my experience because I had to go through a little more of the less frequently encountered steps.

First, as the agent initially thought when I called, UA has to take control of the ticket to convert the UA codeshare to the underlying LH flight number. When I had to change my return flight, I called our corporate TA (Amex) and they were not pleased. She then had to call United on my behalf, and 30 mins later was finally able to get my return flight changed, priced, and re ticketed. So just keep that in mind to other fellow business travelers with a corporate TA.

Then when to the website to apply a GPU on my return flight (just booked the LH flight number since it was already a 016 ticket). Error message then told me to try again. Tried again - error message again. Looked at my account and sure enough 2 GPUs deducted. Called the UA *A desk and 10 mins later that was fixed and properly on the waitlist.

Despite the flight being F4 A4, upgrade never cleared. At OLCI it let me pick a first class seat so I assumed I was upgraded but just never got a notice (happened on my outbound flight). At T-10 got a notice that my upgrade did not clear and the GPU was redeposited. Looked and flight was F3 A3. Was not pleased.

Thankfully I still had a paper cert in my bag, and successfully applied it when I got to FRA (this happened on 1.23.15). Agents made no fuss whatsoever about having a paper cert, and made not mention to the fact that they would not longer be accepting paper certs. Disappointing because this is a clear example of when they are better. I still have another one that I'll probably wait to send back in case this happens again - I'll bet LH would still take it past 1.31.

Hopefully this helps
Old Feb 2, 2015, 2:51 pm

I just checked and they FUBAR'd my ticket.

I was DEN-FRA-BCN, BCN-BRU, BRU-FRA-DEN
and now UA.com shows:

DEN-FRA-BCN, BCN-BRU, BCN-FRA-DEN

and LH.com shows

DEN-FRA-BCN, no BCN-BRU, and then BCN-FRA-DEN & a FRA-DEN (the last two on the same day).

On with UA now. I just asked to be sent to the A* desk and she said there wasn't one.. I should have just HUCA'd but then she said the desk will close on Feb 15. She is on hold for a A* agent now.

She sees the original ticket, but she said there was a change in a flight and that caused the change???

Not really a LH GPU issue, unless that is what triggered the change. When I did apply the GPU, the A* agent said that any changes would cause me to loose my seat. I think she was referring to the travel agent that originally bought the ticket.

I've never had a ticket go sideways like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.