No More Ghirardelli Hot Cocoa at UCs?

Old Feb 11, 19, 10:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Spire Amb, Hilton Gold
No More Ghirardelli Hot Cocoa at UCs?

At the Int'l UC in SFO and they no longer have the Ghiradelli Premium Hot Cocoa, it's now just a generic container with some chocolatey powder. Is this systemwide or just this club?
Old Feb 11, 19, 11:43 pm

Programs: UA Silver
They had the packets (can't remember if they were Ghirardelli or another brand) at the LGA club the morning of 2/10. At the low-B ORD club evening of 2/11 one station (by the bar) had the powder, the other had packets.
Old Feb 12, 19, 2:47 am

Programs: UA Gold, KE Morning Calm
Ghirardelli packets at the ATL club the morning of 2/9.
Old Feb 12, 19, 8:28 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
I saw someone grab a handful of packets and stuff them in their bag once. I’m surprised it lasted this long : (
Old Feb 12, 19, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by chavala View Post
I saw someone grab a handful of packets and stuff them in their bag once. Iím surprised it lasted this long : (
This. People are pigs and will take anything that isn't locked down.

Some larger locations have a [Hot Cocoa station - premade and with toppings like little marshmallows. I think this may be seasonal, but I'm not sure.
EWR764 and drewguy like this.
Old Feb 12, 19, 11:20 am

Programs: UA Platinum | Amex Platinum
I am fine with it being gone TBH...they had more sugar than a candy bar, and would give me a headache just before boarding my flight! Not to offend, but it's basically for kids.

Though, the seasonal Hot Cocoa station was a nice touch (at least for the UC's that had it)
Old Feb 12, 19, 12:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by MrGood View Post
I am fine with it being gone TBH...they had more sugar than a candy bar, and would give me a headache just before boarding my flight!
You know, nobody ever forced you to drink it...
Old Feb 12, 19, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by MrGood View Post
I am fine with it being gone TBH...they had more sugar than a candy bar, and would give me a headache just before boarding my flight! Not to offend, but it's basically for kids.

Though, the seasonal Hot Cocoa station was a nice touch (at least for the UC's that had it)
I don't really like beer. I'm fine with it being gone from the lounges ; )
Old Feb 12, 19, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA Platinum | Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
You know, nobody ever forced you to drink it...
To each their own of course! For those who'll miss it, there's always those brownies in the afternoons/evenings. For a makeshift drinkable chocolate, they could be dissolved in hot water/coffee, added with a few packets of sugar @:-)

Edit: To clarify, I respect everyone's opinions, but the point is that the hot cocoa was not a main item that would necessarily burden most guests/members once removed (coffee & tea, that's a whole different story!). If it's really that popular, UA will bring it back in response to the backlash (tomato juice story-ish). But I'd like to add a more centric issue: the inconsistency of main food items varies greatly between UC's, which is probably worth starting a new thread over

Last edited by MrGood; Feb 14, 19 at 10:07 am Reason: Added content
Old Feb 21, 19, 3:42 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, Mileage Plus Plat, Global Entry
FYI, found it in both SAN UC and DEN West UC today.
rittenhousesq likes this.
Old Feb 21, 19, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
The Ghirardelli brand is especially coveted in the Bay Area. I believe there is a Ghirardelli shop just outside the SFO UC selling the stuff. No wonder people swipe it insessently.

SL
Old Feb 21, 19, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LAX has the glass canister w/ bulk powder. I assume they arenít opening individual Ghiradelli packets and pouring them into the canister to outfox the packet stealers. The next step for the cheapskates is to bring their own Tupperware and scoops.
Old Feb 21, 19, 4:21 pm

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
I must admit that I sometimes take a packet. I usually either don't have time to drink it in the club, or I'm not in the mood. But sometimes it's nice to drink it on the plane, and they don't have hot chocolate on the plane. I understand the issue of people taking large numbers of packets being wrong, but grabbing one to take with me doesn't really seem like it should be considered wrong.
SF_DUKE likes this.
Old Feb 21, 19, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Proud Charter Member of the OUM
Originally Posted by BBSHOPSINGER View Post
I must admit that I sometimes take a packet. I usually either don't have time to drink it in the club, or I'm not in the mood. But sometimes it's nice to drink it on the plane, and they don't have hot chocolate on the plane. I understand the issue of people taking large numbers of packets being wrong, but grabbing one to take with me doesn't really seem like it should be considered wrong.
Great psychological study. Individuals think only they do this stuff, when in fact hundreds of individuals are probably rationalizing every day that "it's only one" or "I don't do it often."

The result, usually, is cutbacks in items offered.

Happens in every club-type scenario.
fezzington likes this.
Old Feb 22, 19, 12:40 am

Denver UC (West) had them today. Next to a broken espresso machine, sadly.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: