Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United no longer forwarding luggage to SQ? {subsequent trip worked fine}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United no longer forwarding luggage to SQ? {subsequent trip worked fine}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2019, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
It's quite easy, even across separate tix, if the agent knows what he/she is doing. A minute or two, as jsloan noted. Also, there's little chance this is a single ticket. Neither airline would sell RNO-SFO (UA), SFO-SIN (SQ)

This sounds like a classic MOLA situation at multiple levels.
Well, maybe it's a BE ticket to SFO and then a "regular" coach to SIN? I posted earlier about a similar problem out of PHX, albeit both were UA tickets. They got that "new corporate rule" as well. JMMW.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 12:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Exleftseat
Well, maybe it's a BE ticket to SFO and then a "regular" coach to SIN? I posted earlier about a similar problem out of PHX, albeit both were UA tickets. They got that "new corporate rule" as well. JMMW.
OP said he had an F ticket RNO-SFO. Though it is entirely possible that's the new "rule" the agents were referring to - it is all too common for agents to mis-apply a new rule beyond its actual scope. In fact, I'd say that's a very likely explanation for what OP was told.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 12:15 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Did the OP have a single ticket/itinerary or two separate ones? If it's a single ticket, the fact that UA and SQ interline (in fact, many pairs of airlines interline even though they aren't in the same alliance) should mean that the bag gets checked through, assuming that MCT isn't violated and there aren't pottential travel document problems known to UA.

Note that it's not a BE issue as OP is in domestic FC followed by international business class.

IMO "new corporate rule" is as valid as the "dog ate my homework" excuse. The agent's goal is just to make you go away without taking any additional time, so they make up whatever, including the lovely line that you should have received a letter.....
wrp96 likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 12:21 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
You need an agent who knows what they are doing. When interlining it can take an extra 5 minutes but my last trip attempting this in December which was two separate United tickets but a K fare took the 1K agent 20 minutes and the other 1K agent was trying to interline the pax next to me. Finally someone who knew what to do and five mins later it was fixed for me and the other pax. I did hear a comment that it is more difficult with SQ (although neither of our reservations involved SQ). BTW - return out of LHR with two separate United tickets think it took her an extra two minutes.

You need a check-in agent who knows what they are doing.

Originally Posted by milepig
It can be done, but is a certain amount of work, although UA to SQ on a single ticket should be like interlining 101. On the other hand, I've recently (after the last round of tightening) had UA interline our bags ORD-LHR on UA and then LHR-KEF on Icelandic on two tickets (don't ask!). But it took a long time and much clicking. As far as I can tell, the agent forced the LHR-KEF segment onto my UA itin and then printed out the tags. I say this since when I later checked my UA reservation online the LHR-KEF segment was showing there. I was planning to need to retrieve and recheck bags at LHR and was very pleasantly surprised. I was concerned enough that I checked at the Icelanding transfer desk at LHR - showing them the stubs and they said "you're good to go" and also seemed a bit surprised. I don't think the agent was supposed to do this, so lower your expectations.

In the past, when anyone traveling in INTL F (rip) had access to the GS checkin area at ORD I found those agents to be willing to go the extra mile and to do all sorts of rule bending.
When I interline I always check with the transfer desk and again with the GAs. They thank me as they often tell me if I do not ask for the confirmation that they have the bags, then the bags may not make it onto the flight. Three years ago when traveling with a friend this was an issue and the GA was able to get them to track down the luggage and get it on the flight- I was on the same flight (same PNR originally but then auto split by United) and my bags had already been loaded.

Always pays to check at the transfer desk and with the GAs. May sound overly cautious but on the outbound I want my luggage to arrive with me.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 11, 2019 at 3:46 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Feb 11, 2019, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Might this be a status issue? I have frequently been challenged "You must be 1K or GS". I just looked at UA's site. There was information on interlining only to *A. I no longer find that information.

If this is truly a new policy I will need to find a new carrier after I cross my next MM level (43k miles from now).
Old Feb 11, 2019, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AndyInSaigon
Might this be a status issue? I have frequently been challenged "You must be 1K or GS". I just looked at UA's site. There was information on interlining only to *A. I no longer find that information.
I still see this text here, on United's site:

Baggage can be checked through to the final destination if the separate ticketed itinerary includes Star Alliance member airline-operated flights.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
It's quite easy, even across separate tix, if the agent knows what he/she is doing. A minute or two, as jsloan noted).
My agent at GS checkin at SFO ended up printing the bagvtags wrong twice before phoning for help. I am not GS but went there assuming they would be on the ball.

previous experiences also took lots of time

Yes it can be done - interline to SQ on a separate ticket. But give yourself some extra time to get it done

My return SQ connecting to UA at SIN the SQ agents have zero trouble. Every single time.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
I still see this text here, on United's site:
Perhaps what I recall is the text in the wiki.

I have only had one agent (a GS agent having to help a lowly 1K) who refused to do it. Luckily another agent overheard & said "I know how to do this". The GS agent kept protesting "We're not supposed to do that!".
Old Feb 12, 2019, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ttuna3
OP,

Welcome to Flyertalk!

I've never had RNO not check my bag through on separate tickets, just took the agent a lot of time with the help desk (and once a big mess up with getting my passport into back into the system after my BP was issued and the gate scanner barfed (20 minute delay working with IT again) and almost didn't get on the plane even though my bags did). Most of my connections have been to OZ in LAX or BR in IAH or SFO and rare connections at ORD to OS usually leaving RNO in the afternoon. Obviously United is back to blowing off of their alliance obligations again or their IT staff can't bothered to deal with an issue that's been around for a very long time or non airport management doesn't want to actually make UA the Friendly Skies.

I'm always happy to work with the RNO crew especially when they know the issue is coming from higher up the food chain.
Yeah. The check-in used to be a few minutes at most a few years back, but in the last 2 years I've been showing up an extra 30 minutes early so the agent who did the same thing a month before can do it again. I.e. click away on the computer, ask someone else to click away again, call the help desk, wait 20 minutes for help desk to print the tags.

While I have no objection to the agents never retaining what they learn on any given customer check-in, this claim at a "corporate approved" refusal to check bags through to SQ is too much.
restlessinRNO likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 8:23 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by aki009
...this claim at a "corporate approved" refusal to check bags through to SQ is too much.
Until we hear this report from a different airport, I think this MOLA (including the "supervisor"). It is amazing what some agents will make up when they don't answer the real reason or just don't want to be bothered.
aki009 likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 8:41 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Until we hear this report from a different airport, I think this MOLA (including the "supervisor"). It is amazing what some agents will make up when they don't answer the real reason or just don't want to be bothered.
It's such awful customer service. I can accept (hopefully with some grace), "I'm sorry I just can't make this work." But "it's a new rule from corporate" is the kind of thing that causes customers to switch airlines.
estnet, IndyHoosier and aki009 like this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's such awful customer service. I can accept (hopefully with some grace), "I'm sorry I just can't make this work." But "it's a new rule from corporate" is the kind of thing that causes customers to switch airlines.
I think it is a newish rule from corporate. Having been caught myself, I guess that at least some of this is due to the many partners charging for bags. I was caught in a UA to Swiss debacle where UA checked my bags through and then Swiss said I owed them baggage fees as the plane was boarding but they had no way to process the charge at the gate. I’d somehow booked into a no bags fare that showed nowhere in the UA record. Going landslide to the ticketing desk would have meant missing the flight. They finally comped me, but it was truly ugly. So the answer is “No transfer, no problems.”
Old Feb 12, 2019, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by milepig
I think it is a newish rule from corporate.
This was already discussed upthread. That's not the right rule. OP was not on a BE fare, he was in F on UA, and J on SQ.
Old Feb 20, 2020, 8:36 am
Original Poster

It's working (for now?)

For the past year the process seems to be getting easier every time I fly. Until about October 2019 or thereabouts the agent always called the UA helpdesk to make the luggage check-through happen. And since then they've been doing it themselves. So there's either been a software upgrade or additional training. Keeping my fingers crossed they don't regress again...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.