Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Mailing Baggage Handle Wraps to 1K/GS Customers {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 11, 2019, 12:35 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is UA Mailing Blue Bag Handle Wraps to 1K/GS Customers, restarted for new 1Ks?

If you did not receive a Yellow Baggage Wrap when you reached 1K or you need another one, email 1Kvoice and request another one. They should respond and tell you that they will ship you one out within 7-10 business days.
If they do not respond to your original email, send another email.
If they do respond but do not mail you a Yellow Baggage Wrap within 10 business days then re-request one with a copy of their original response.

The bag wrap can provide priority processing of your gate check bags on UX. It may help checked bags also but the primary benefits is first delivery of gate check bags. It is not 100% (this is UA ) but with time it has become very common benefit for many UX flights.

The only known formal mention of Yellow Wraps (but only readable by GS)
Originally Posted by Ari
https://globalservices.united.com
At The Airport --> Boarding and Baggage --> Baggage
Yellow Handle Wrap for gate-checked baggage on United Express(R)-operated flights, for expedited gate checking and delivery

Thread archive:

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2015, 10:15 pm

Programs: UA Gold; IHG Spire Elite
Just another data point, I made 1K in November, finally called today to request a yellow wrap. No problems -- she said it would arrive in 7-10 days. Not in time for my next trip, but if true, it will likely arrive before my 1K kit (since that still says "Pending" on the mystatus site).
Old Jan 6, 2015, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by LufthansaFlyer
My wife figured out a theft proof way to keep mine on. She cut out holes, inserted eyelets so I can put a small travel lock through it. You would literally have to ripped it off with a fair amount of force to get it. About 20-30 gate check legs thus far and it is still there.
I wouldn't even be able to sew a hole in my pants let alone try to figure out how to stab the yellow wrap to insert some eyelet thingy.

I'll go buy some super glue.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 3:49 am

Programs: HiltonSilver, MariottGold, HyattPlat, KimptonTier3, UA 1K, HertzGold,AvisPres
Originally Posted by LufthansaFlyer
Thats just it. If UA does a cost/benefit analysis, they will see that this is an expense since giving us the wraps does not add revenue. They apparently don't go as far as factoring in the intangible value of passenger happiness.

Lets say it costs them .50 cents to manufacture and another 1.00 to ship (packaging/labor). At a 1.50 and lets assume even 100,000 1k's you are looking at 150,000 in savings that some bean counter discovered and was applauded. I don't expect United to say that the 1k's are worth spending 150k on for a 'trinket'.

Also, with US leaving for oneworld, it leaves UA with a Star Alliance monopoly in the USA and UA probably is feeling fairly arrogant that they won't lose many elites who rely on / enjoy *A because they stopped supplying the handle wrap.

I've gone from fan to cynic of UA over the last couple of years.
I don't really care thatmuch about getting a luggage wrap. The big devaluations of the program are one thing. It's just the feeling of being nickel and dimed when they start discontinuing benefits or little perks that really can't cost them much money. BMW sends me and my wife gifts a couple times a year with a thank you for being a BMW owner. Some of them are quite nice, others meh, but it's a nice gesture. They obviously feel the small expense is worth it. Anyway, it is what it is...
Old Jan 16, 2015, 2:53 am

Just reporting back..... I called in last week to request a yellow wrap, and it arrived in the mail on Tuesday. So, it doesn't seem like they're discontinuing it, if anyone was worried.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 7:31 am

Programs: DL Plat, B6 Mosaic
Originally Posted by jewels421
Just reporting back..... I called in last week to request a yellow wrap, and it arrived in the mail on Tuesday. So, it doesn't seem like they're discontinuing it, if anyone was worried.
I'd like to do the same thing - did you just call the premier line or the mileage plus service center to request it?
Old Jan 16, 2015, 11:30 am

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
So this past Sunday, when I flew back into ONT, the supervisor who was overseeing the return of the gate-checked bags told me that they have noticed a lot of people who have seen the yellow handle bags come off first and they get their own. Maybe it's time the color changes or, switch to a different system in which there are 2 sets of "carry-on baggage only" tags, 1 is the standard green for members and the other can be a different color for elites. And since most of my UAX flights have involved the GA walking around and checking bags, while handing out the green tags, it should be relatively easy to enforce.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by CKinMD
I'd like to do the same thing - did you just call the premier line or the mileage plus service center to request it?
I called the Mileage Plus line.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 1:13 pm

Programs: UA 1/MM SPG gold, CEO: Grandmother of 4
Originally Posted by fgirard
So this past Sunday, when I flew back into ONT, the supervisor who was overseeing the return of the gate-checked bags told me that they have noticed a lot of people who have seen the yellow handle bags come off first and they get their own. Maybe it's time the color changes or, switch to a different system in which there are 2 sets of "carry-on baggage only" tags, 1 is the standard green for members and the other can be a different color for elites. And since most of my UAX flights have involved the GA walking around and checking bags, while handing out the green tags, it should be relatively easy to enforce.
My yellow handle bag clearly states United........can someone buy it?
Old Jan 16, 2015, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM - AF G – TK G – AZ Ex – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
Originally Posted by jewels421
Did they mail it to your address on file or did you give them one. I have a BKK address and I've never got these. While I rarely fly US domestic and even more rarely on a regional jet, it does happen now and then.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by steppie
Sure, how much do you want to sell it for?
Old Jan 16, 2015, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Originally Posted by steppie
But only on the embossed fake leather part, apparently some people are just buying yellow and when the rampers open the hold, they just grab anything with a yellow handle and have it go to the jetway or cart first.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by TomA
Did they mail it to your address on file or did you give them one. I have a BKK address and I've never got these. While I rarely fly US domestic and even more rarely on a regional jet, it does happen now and then.
I actually don't remember if she asked for an address or just sent it to the one on file (which is US-based). I think she asked, but can't be certain. You could always see if they'll send to BKK and if not, if you've got a US-based office/business address or family member you could call back and request it to be sent there. It just came in a plain small yellow envelope, so wasn't at all obvious what it was.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 4:04 pm

Programs: UA, 1K 2MM
Originally Posted by TomA
This is odd because Mrs IainC and I received the wraps here in SYD. Not sure why UA would discriminate against specific international locations..
Old Jan 16, 2015, 4:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Hilton: Diamond;Kimpton: ?? ; Omni: Black; Avis: First; Hertz: Five Star
Originally Posted by fgirard
But only on the embossed fake leather part, apparently some people are just buying yellow and when the rampers open the hold, they just grab anything with a yellow handle and have it go to the jetway or cart first.
Weirdly, I am doing the same thing. My official United Yellow Handle Wrap is in one of my three main non-check travel bags. My other two bags have fake yellow handles that I picked because they look the same. My old official yellow one is so dirty and worn you cannot even see the "United" on it anyways.

I get about the same treatment with all three handle wraps, with no discernable difference between the real one and the fake ones.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by IainC
This is odd because Mrs IainC and I received the wraps here in SYD. Not sure why UA would discriminate against specific international locations..
interesting. They told me when I called today (and in the past) that they do not ship them overseas. The never came in my kits either. I gave them a domestic address today and she said she would send it through, but she wasn't sure they would send them out because January is the transition month to the 2015 program.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.