Routing to HAK (Hainan) on UA/*A

Old Feb 10, 19, 5:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat, DL FO, HH Gold, MR Gold
Routing to HAK (Hainan) on UA/*A

I've got to go to HAK from SEA, and am having a hard time figuring out a reasonable *A routing. My problem is that I can't leave until 2pm on Wednesday, and I'd like to arrive as early as possible on Friday.

.bomb offers a connection on the late-departing SFO-CTU, but with a 14 hour layover between the 6am Friday landing and an 8pm Air China connection. This seems to waste more of the day than necessary. There are mid-morning departures on Lucky Air and Sichuan, but UA doesn't seem to ticket with them (google flights won't generate an itinerary). I'm considering just ticketing them separately (I know...), but is 2.5-3 hours at CTU a reasonable connection?

Thoughts or suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Edit: This is in Y, BTW. As much E+ as possible would be great.

Last edited by PVDProf; Feb 10, 19 at 5:31 pm
Old Feb 10, 19, 8:04 pm
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: UA MP (1K, 1MM)
Have you tried looking on Shenzhen Airlines? I know they fly to PEK and from there you would likely have a connection some place on your way to HAK, with most likely a long connection ... but hey ... it'll get you there!

https://flights.google.com is your friend in this case, give them a look if you haven't. And potentially look at getting multiple tickets instead of one itinerary.
Old Feb 10, 19, 10:49 pm

Programs: SQ PPS
Have done 'connections' on separate tickets via various PRC airports over the past years.

Now that I think about it, really haven't had any major problems with this approach.

I've never been to CTU, but would be quite happy to give either option (Lucky Air or Sichuan) a try. Would prefer 3h vs. 2.5h. I would expect 2.5h to be fine also.

Some thoughts:
- my experience of the efficiency of Chinese 'regional' airports has been fairly positive (i.e. no massive waiting times)
- if there is a terminal change, budget extra time for this (thinking of e.g. Xiamen, the bus ride incl. waiting time can take up to 30min)
- if your corporate TA can't book e.g. Lucky Air, ctrip has worked well for me
- book domestic business / first if available and price difference acceptable to you (check in will be quick and you will have priority security; lounges are not that great obviously; certainly on Sichuan the seat is pretty decent)
- I try to avoid flying domestic Y, but even those experiences have been perfectly fine (Kunming Airlines and Xiamen Airlines most recently)
PVDProf likes this.
Old Feb 10, 19, 11:20 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 0.8MM; PPL
You may want to keep in mind that international to domestic at CTU will involve a terminal change unless the domestic segment is operated by Sichuan Airlines. And I don't think you can walk from one terminal to another, so you'll need to find and wait for a shuttle bus.
PVDProf likes this.