Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Edition: Window shades up? Who controls / decides?

UA Edition: Window shades up? Who controls / decides?

Old Feb 10, 2019, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by 1P
Several thoughts:

(1) As well as helping with jet lag, light can also benefit people like me who have a melatonin issue and have to sleep with the light on. (Sleeping with the light on, incidentally, means that, for me, jet lag virtually doesn't exist. I am never in the dark, and therefore the "natural" secretions of melatonin triggered by light and dark phases do not take place.)

(2) Anyone who thinks wanting to have light is incredibly selfish is in fact incredibly selfish themselves in insisting that only darkness is permitted. Those who need the light have no choice about how to reguate that, but eye masks are provided for those who want to be in the dark. The latest generation of eye-masks are, I am told, a great improvement on their predecessors.

(3) I have never had any problem over-riding the FAs' central control of the windows on a 787. You simply alter the refraction the way you nornally would. Have I just been lucky?
Just curious and not trying to be challenging, but what do you do on night flights when there is not much natural light? Presumably turn on the reading light? Could you not do the same on a day flight (with the window shades closed)? And I don't think the average passenger is selfish. They do not bring eye masks and certainly not all can afford the best. So they are either not experienced or people assume that people will sleep on long flights and most people do not sleep with the lights on. Also, do you keep the shades up the entire flight? Perhaps airlines should sell eye masks or people who insist on shades open (in economy) carry some spares for their neighbors.
SPlDER likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 8:48 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by daisyatl
Just curious and not trying to be challenging, but what do you do on night flights when there is not much natural light? Presumably turn on the reading light? Could you not do the same on a day flight (with the window shades closed)? And I don't think the average passenger is selfish. They do not bring eye masks and certainly not all can afford the best. So they are either not experienced or people assume that people will sleep on long flights and most people do not sleep with the lights on. Also, do you keep the shades up the entire flight? Perhaps airlines should sell eye masks or people who insist on shades open (in economy) carry some spares for their neighbors.
I mostly don't sit in window seats, in order to avoid hassle. In a wide-body aircraft, I'll generally sit in the center section, unless I'm with a SO who wants to sit by the window.

Whether I'm on a night or day flight and the window shades are down, I keep my reading light on for the entire duration of the flight. You'd be surprised how aggressive some people get about that, complaining that it's preventing them from sleeping, even if I'm actually reading and not sleeping! And the number of complaints rises if the layout includes backward-facing seats (I normally pick one of those)....
daisyatl and am1108 like this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 9:10 am

To preface, yes this subject will continue to pop up in regular intervals. I am a proponent of shades up. People sleep on buses and on bus stops with traffic around, on trains, in cars, lounging around swimming pools, on the beach in bright sunlight with noisy kids around, in shopping centers and wherever one can imagine and without any shades down or eye shades on. Everyone sleeps on the trains and subways in Japan, sometimes even while standing. So what is the attraction of flight that requires a dark tube? It's beyond me. Natural light aids in regards to jet lag and the incredible views to be enjoyed is beyond compare. When I fly home from the U.S. I leave at 11 a.m. arrive at 4 p.m., take the train, have dinner and a bath at home and am in bed by 10 p.m. for a perfect night's sleep without any jet lag symptoms. But then again, I didn't fill myself up with 3 or more hard liquor drinks either during pre-departure service. Plus I got a free view of the unbelievable Alaskan scenery, weather permitting. Long live the 787.
1P, cerealmarketer, demkr and 4 others like this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 9:19 am

I think it would be different if everyone kept the shades up. But, generally, over 90% of the shades are down (even if only to avoid glare or easier to watch movies), so the light from those windows where the shades are up can be pretty shocking. And, while people can sleep on buses, etc, most people do sleep at night in the dark. There are arguments on both sides.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 10:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by username
I think most people do it out of consideration for others so I think the expectation is you close it. Most people comply but sometimes there is just that one person who has to keep the shades open...
Yes. It really boils down to whether you're considerate of others, or not.

It's not just a sleep issue, the bright light coming through an open window can totally wash out others' video screens.

That said, there are more pressing issues to get worked up about, and the eye shade does solve the sleep problem.
In2ishn likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 10:10 am

Programs: LH HON*****, AF/KL Gold; HHilton Diamond; Marriott Gold; IHG Platinium; Avis PresClub
Originally Posted by Steve M
Bottom line, it's incredibly selfish. I guarantee that the ocean will still be there in good order, whether the shades are up or down - no need to constantly check throughout the flight.
It's not selfish. If I book a window seat, I want to have the possibility to look out. That's the reason I book a window seat. Even over the ocean to watch all the different shape of clouds. It's up to me to decide. Nobody else. The other passengers have other solution to be in dark (e.g. eye shades).
It's called freedom, for which the USA are very proud of (even wearing guns)!
Old Feb 10, 2019, 10:13 am

Programs: UA 2P, UC, Hertz 5*, Hilton Diamond
This reminds me of a overnight intl flight I took years ago. A couple sat in the window seat, one behind the other (i.e. 36A, 37A), and kept the shades down for both rows the whole time from takeoff to landing. As I like to look out from time to time it was horrible!
elbejt2, milski, TemboOne and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 10:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by athome
It's called freedom, for which the USA are very proud of (even wearing guns)!
Yes, that is the "logic." The triumph of individual rights over all else, no matter how detrimental to others, or society as a whole.

Could not have made the point better myself, so thank you.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 10:17 am

Programs: LH HON*****, AF/KL Gold; HHilton Diamond; Marriott Gold; IHG Platinium; Avis PresClub
Originally Posted by username
There is a UA FA who gives a speech about high altitude radiations and ask people to close the shades on TPAC flights.
The radiation does not enter through the windows. The radiation passes through the fuselage. Even through metal, although Carbon Fibre (like 787 fuselage) is less protective.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 10, 2019 at 12:32 pm Reason: Using symbols, spaces or other methods to mask vulgarities is not allowed.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 10:38 am

Programs: Latam Pass Black; UA 1K, 1MM; Marriott LT
I was going to be the first poster,but thought I would wait to avoid the criticism....

I'm in the camp that says if you choose a window seat, the blind is all yours to do with as you please, and I am one of the folks who hates the open blinds on a long flight, but it is just the way it is...
iluv2fly, renila, In2ishn and 4 others like this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 10:41 am

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG Gold Elite, Marriott Rewards
Shades Up Forever - but common sense should prevail, where possible!

Being in Canada (YYZ) and loving to travel to NE Asia / SE Asia / South Pacific and totally enjoying the ever changing window view and as such, always a proponent of "SHADES UP" we do try to use a little bit of logical common sense consideration.

When planning trips (leisure) my wife and I always reserve window seats on the starboard side going westbound TPAC and on the port side heading home on eastbound TPAC flights.

Flying from Canada to/from Europe, it's the opposite; PO-SH class!

The above means that on practically all occasions the sun and resulting glare will never enter the cabin through our unshaded windows.

(I presume all travellers here know the origin of PO-SH!)
Old Feb 10, 2019, 10:44 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by am1108
This reminds me of a overnight intl flight I took years ago. A couple sat in the window seat, one behind the other (i.e. 36A, 37A), and kept the shades down for both rows the whole time from takeoff to landing. As I like to look out from time to time it was horrible!
I can't tell if you're being serious or sarcastic?

Recently while flying in 1K, the FA came over and asked if I could put up my shades for take off because the man in 1H REALLY wanted it up. OK fine. As soon as we were at cruising altitude I closed it again and he went a bit bonkers. He wanted the FA to force me to either leave my window open or swap seats with him. He kept saying "I am Global Service".
That DYKWIA attitude didn't get him very far -- she didn't even bother to ask me. (I would not have done it anyway)
iluv2fly, new_places and MrGood like this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 10:52 am

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore

Time at destination: 0200.

wear your eyemask, they say... That will solve all of the discomfort.
chavala likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 10:54 am

Good for the couple.

The common sense rule is they had the deciding vote.

Old Feb 10, 2019, 10:56 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Does anyone else find it difficult to watch a video or do laptop work with an eye mask on? I can't seem to master the skill ; )
margarita girl and onthesam like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.