Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Edition: Window shades up? Who controls / decides?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Edition: Window shades up? Who controls / decides?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2019, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by wolfie_cr
the analogies here are going into ridicule mode...........I totally 100% would love to hear you play the french horn, this is such a valid analogy that every airline I have flown has them, there are usually two per row, just like every plane has a window.......
You don’t want to hear it. I like your humor too.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 7:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
That's it. From here on out I'm only flying in cargo jets.
Dromomaniac likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 7:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL MM (thanks PMNW!), DL PM, UA PLT, just about every darn hotel program-generally GOLD type level
THIS!

Originally Posted by LimeyFlyer
I was going to be the first poster,but thought I would wait to avoid the criticism....

I'm in the camp that says if you choose a window seat, the blind is all yours to do with as you please, and I am one of the folks who hates the open blinds on a long flight, but it is just the way it is...
Exactly what I was considering posting. I avoid seats without aisle access, as a result I accept that I am ceding control of the blinds to another on many flights. Grownups make choices and live by them.
halls120 and demkr like this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by davie355
It's not my personal preference. It is the consensus preference of the cabin.
In that case, you'll open the window shade when I ask you to because I want natural light to better enable my adjustment to local timing and so I can look out the window when the pilot announces that we're passing over Greenland and some beautiful fjords?
Before the prevalence of tablets and smartphones, FAs would often request everyone lower their shades as the movie was coming on but people who wanted to look at the scenery weren't harassed either. To the best of my knowledge, the sun hasn't gotten brighter over the past 30-40 years.

A lot of people in this thread are assuming what THEY want is what the whole cabin wants when the reality is most people affected don't bother questioning the FAs regardless of whether they're asked to open or close the windows. Personally, I close the blinds at home unless/until I want to look outside but I do that for privacy. At work, I close the blinds to keep my office from heating up. When I'm flying in a window seat, I like to open the window when I'm passing over interesting scenery, especially when the pilot makes a point of mentioning it.
demkr and etiene like this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 7:49 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by daisyatl
So the people who are shades open keep the shades open the entire time? Even when they plan to sleep?
I have actually been on planes where a few pax have indeed been that selfish.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by mapleg
I have actually been on planes where a few pax have indeed been that selfish.
Maybe I am misunderstanding. I guess I am trying to understand if the people who want the shade open also sleep with the shade open. Or do they lower the shade for when THEY want to sleep.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 8:47 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
There is an excessive amount of personal comments occurring in this thread. "selfish", "rude", ... comments especially applied to other posters are not in the FT spirit or the FT rules. While we can disagree on this situation, there is no need for name-calling. State your opinion, allow others, the same, to state their opinion.

Keep in mind
FlyerTalk is a community and is intended to be a friendly, helpful and collegial place.
If you have a difference of opinion with another member, challenge the idea — NOT the person. Getting personal with another member is not allowed. Personal attacks, insults, baiting and flaming will not be tolerated.
WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
ContinentalFan likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 10, 2019 at 10:37 pm
Old Feb 10, 2019, 8:57 pm

And, this thread is becoming as useful as the others in solving this “dilemma”.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 10:34 pm

I think the advice was correct. Here you can not please everyone. In complete darkness, someone would not be comfortable, imagine yourself in his place.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 10:48 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG Gold Elite, Marriott Rewards
Wink Welcome to AC's Best SD for a qualified comment!

Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
Then you need to speak to the SD. If the windows become shaded after take-off it's an indication that they are out of the lock position and that YOU - The Customer has control. I have never once locked the windows other than the mandated TTL (Taxi/Takeoff/Landing) setting.
It's really funny to see some of the comments on here, and the fact that anyone who "wants their own way" - whether it's blinds up or down (or shades adjusted by the SD "their" way) is always being called selfish and inconsiderate.

The logic of course is that if you want the shades open or under your control, choose a window seat. If you want the shades open and also want to be considerate then do choose a window seat where you will be on the opposite side to the sun.

For North Americans on the TATL flights use the PO-SH logic to be in the shade both ways. For TPAC it's the opposite!

On the other hand, if you want the blind closed choose an appropriate seat.

One aspect that is lost in this discussion is that being constantly confined in an overly dark tube can have very negative health effects on some people over a period of time!

We have never found AC to be overly aggressive in control of the 788/789 windows.

Thanks ACYYZ/SD
Old Feb 10, 2019, 11:32 pm

Is it not also selfish to force people to close their blinds if they want to look outside? If you want control of the window shades, then pick a window seat....

Also, I don't appreciate being forced into darkness when it is my day time hours. Fair enough if it is our night time and it is time to sleep, I don't have any issue with people wanting the blinds closed.

My view is that both opening the blind and closing the blind is selfish in some way, so there is really no good answer to that question.
demkr and etiene like this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 11:38 pm

Next time everyone in that section of the cabin should do a vote, it's not an overwhelming number of pax to count so majority wins.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 1:08 am

While I personally prefer a dark cabin, forcing window seat passengers to put the window shades down effectively makes window seats an even worse version of middle seats--no view and you need to squeeze by 2 people to get to the aisle. The saving grace of a window seat is being able to see out of the window, so if that's taken away then it doesn't seem fair to the window seat pax.
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 3:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50, UA 1K 108,678 miles 2014
Originally Posted by Steve M
Bottom line, it's incredibly selfish. I guarantee that the ocean will still be there in good order, whether the shades are up or down - no need to constantly check throughout the flight.
Originally Posted by davie355
If you’re the only person with shades up, in a cabin where all other shades are down, it doesn’t matter if you are in the right vis-a-vis etiquette.

Everybody else in the cabin will find you to be obstinate, at best.

If you don’t care that this is how you’re being perceived, then may god help you.
I concur with this response.

Apologize for not researching to find previous threads on this and did not realize it was such a polarizing topic.

I’ve been on at least 50 long haul TPAC flights the last few years and this is honestly the first time I’ve come across this. Have never noticed anyone raise the shades on these long hauls and light up the cabin for an extended period of time.

And In this case there was only ‘one’ in an entire cabin.

Judging by the responses here I guess I’ve been just fortunate...and I guess here’s hoping that I don’t run into too many FT’ers on future long hauls.
Or, perhaps most of the pro shades up folks here are the ones who feel very strongly about their civil liberties being infringed and the silent majority feel like I do....as there was only ‘one’ shade up in the entire cabin and this is the first time I’ve encountered this after many long haul flights.

Ultimately, people can do what they wish when they are in control....even when they are severely in the minority.

Just like they can also choose to hold the door open for you or offer you to go next in line and so on.

Guess there are a lot of people here who would not choose to extend courtesy.
Oh well.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 5:09 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by Baley
did not realize it was such a polarizing topic.
I see what you did there ;-)

Originally Posted by Baley
Or, perhaps most of the pro shades up folks here are the ones who feel very strongly about their civil liberties being infringed and the silent majority feel like I do....as there was only ‘one’ shade up in the entire cabin and this is the first time I’ve encountered this after many long haul flights.

Ultimately, people can do what they wish when they are in control....even when they are severely in the minority.

Just like they can also choose to hold the door open for you or offer you to go next in line and so on.

Guess there are a lot of people here who would not choose to extend courtesy.
Oh well.
You are making a huge assumption that you are in the majority here [at least to the extent that you claim]: it seems vastly more likely that most don't particularly care. I suspect most tend to close the shades because that makes watching the IFE easier, and most will do much more of that than watching the scenery - especially on transocean sectors. This is likely where the encouragement from FAs comes from too [and as mentioned above from the pre-AVOD days] - plus I think it is generally suggested that a darker cabin tends to promote less service demands than a light one.

Personally I dislike the tendency towards blacked out aircraft on longhaul, especially a day-time flight East to West. West to East can be much trickier - but I certainly don't think the blacked out cabin on DOH-AKL helped with jetlag [flight was ~2am-5am+1 when I took it].

About the only scenario where I can think of where I can justify the autonomy of the window seat dweller being infringed would be a W>E redeye - where having a "night" period of several hours [obvs dependent on sector length] enforced on the cabin would be sensible even if the plane passes into daylight. Alongside partial adjustment of the shades to avoid imposing screen glare where possible.
ExplorerWannabe likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.