Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Edition: Window shades up? Who controls / decides?

UA Edition: Window shades up? Who controls / decides?

Old Feb 10, 2019, 5:21 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Of course it is rude and inconsiderate - and the person doing it knows that. They don't care. Just like talking in a movie, cutting you off in traffic, cutting in line, etc - they don't care.

Just because someone controls the window shade, does not mean they cannot be considerate of others. I sometimes wonder, if they are willing to be so inconsiderate to a cabin full of people - what other types of things do they do in daily life.
happeemonkee, mapleg, gmt4 and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 5:21 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by mapleg
Air Canada for one. Very annoying on my last flight from Toronto to Vancovuer. Daylight flight leaving 715am..the windows were shaded 80% of the way. Could not even take a photo of the Rockies, etc.
Then you need to speak to the SD. If the windows become shaded after take-off it's an indication that they are out of the lock position and that YOU - The Customer has control. I have never once locked the windows other than the mandated TTL (Taxi/Takeoff/Landing) setting.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 5:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
The people who are claiming the window set people are selfish for using what they paid for are the only truly selfish ones. Why should you expect others to bow to your whims and operate the window shades to your personal preference? If you want control over the window shade, book a window seat.

I would personally love to see the shades open at all time, but since I always sit in a aisle seat, it's not my opinion that matters.
demkr, athome and ExplorerWannabe like this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I sometimes wonder, if they are willing to be so inconsiderate to a cabin full of people - what other types of things do they do in daily life.
We've already seen it in this thread.

They rationalize their inconsiderate nature by turning the tables. "I have the right to open my window shade. Others are inconsiderate for infringing on my right!"
happeemonkee, mapleg and GFrye like this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Why should you expect others to bow to your whims and operate the window shades to your personal preference?
It's not my personal preference. It is the consensus preference of the cabin.
HNLbasedFlyer and chavala like this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 6:01 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by davie355
It's not my personal preference. It is the consensus preference of the cabin.
I always fly in a window seat, if possible. In general, I always keep the window open, UNLESS:
- Most of the cabin has the windows closed and it's a sleeping flight, in which case, I will close the window unless I am peeking outside for a few seconds to take pictures or see what's below
- There's DIRECT sunlight coming in and hitting someone's screen or going into someone's eyes. In this case, I will pull the shade down far enough that the direct sun is off their device or out of their eyes, but keep it open as far as possible without violating those conditions

I'm not sure why this is so hard for people to figure out. If there's direct sunlight causing glare for someone else, you don't have to pull the shade ALL THE WAY DOWN. You can just pull it far down enough that it's no longer an annoyance, while still allowing other folks who want to look outside the maximum opportunity to do so without the completely open window shade being an annoyance. Sheesh.
chavala, rickg523 and zymm like this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 6:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Air Canada for one. Very annoying on my last flight from Toronto to Vancovuer. Daylight flight leaving 715am..the windows were shaded 80% of the way. Could not even take a photo of the Rockies, etc.
Yes, AC is definitely a 787 offender.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Baley
Was on a EWR to HKG in Polaris a couple weeks ago and a couple seated together had the window shades up nearly the entire flight.

I like to sleep on these flights and was certainly bothered by the brightness in the cabin for much of the flight.

Quietly asked a FA about this and was told several people complained and the passengers doing this when asked by the FA to lower the shades said that ‘if people want to sleep they can use eye shades’ and refused to lower them.

I thought this was incredibly selfish.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Is it acceptable etiquette?

Some people may want to reduce jetlag on a short intl trip by being exposed the sunlight and sleeping based on destination timezone. The number one thing that affects jetlag is exposure to sunlight.
One cannot replicate the brightness of the sunlight from an open window shade using cablin lights. One CAN cover up their eyes and replicate the darkness of a closed window shade by using the provided eye shade.

It is incredibly selfish to force someone to close their window shade because one doesn't feel like wearing eye shades.

Even ignoring jetlag, I don't understand why all intl flights need to be in total darkness even if it is daytime in both the origin and destination.

Originally Posted by STS-134
I always fly in a window seat, if possible. In general, I always keep the window open, UNLESS:
- Most of the cabin has the windows closed and it's a sleeping flight, in which case, I will close the window unless I am peeking outside for a few seconds to take pictures or see what's below
- There's DIRECT sunlight coming in and hitting someone's screen or going into someone's eyes. In this case, I will pull the shade down far enough that the direct sun is off their device or out of their eyes, but keep it open as far as possible without violating those conditions

I'm not sure why this is so hard for people to figure out. If there's direct sunlight causing glare for someone else, you don't have to pull the shade ALL THE WAY DOWN. You can just pull it far down enough that it's no longer an annoyance, while still allowing other folks who want to look outside the maximum opportunity to do so without the completely open window shade being an annoyance. Sheesh.
This is pretty much what I do. If there is direct sunlight on someone's screen, I am considerate and give up my sunlight to allow my neighbor to watch TV since he has no other choice. When the entire cabin shuts their window shade and goes to sleep, I am considerate and shut mine too and give up might sunlight so others don't have to wear their eye shades. Usually I'm one of the last ones and sometimes I see someone give me "the look". Not sure why I am the one considered selfish when I'm the only one needing to be considerate and giving up anything when others get what they want by doing nothing. Ironically, when I decide to sleep, I still wear an eyeshade because I find all the random lights in the cabin too bright anyways.

Last edited by eng3; Feb 10, 2019 at 6:20 pm
Old Feb 10, 2019, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by eng3
It is incredibly selfish to force someone to close their window shade because one doesn't feel like wearing eye shades.
Yes, the problem is it is not one. It's the entire rest of the cabin.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 6:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I flew LHR > LAX a couple of months ago on a flight that left London around 3pm, arriving in LA at around 7pm. We also had another flight after this, and we weren't getting home until after 1am. I was on the window and kept the shade open (down?) the entire flight, much to the dismay of the multiple flight attendants, who asked no less than 4 times for me to close it, becoming more and more aggressive and rude each time. The last lady (I use that term very loosely) told me I was a rude and selfish human

Sorry, but when flying from east to west, I don't want to sleep on the plane and ruin the next day or two. My window seat = my choice.
demkr, wetrat0, etiene and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 6:25 pm

So the people who are shades open keep the shades open the entire time? Even when they plan to sleep?
Old Feb 10, 2019, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
Good for the couple.

The common sense rule is they had the deciding vote.
Point taken. Since they provide earplugs, I’d like to practice the French Horn. Seems reasonable.
mapleg, chavala and GFrye like this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 6:34 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bocastephen
This has been debated on FT endlessly and there won't be any agreement.

Bottom line, if you want total darkness, use the eyeshades. Some of us like to keep the shades open on certain routes to look out the window and enjoy the view. It's not selfish, when you have the window seat, you should be able to open or close it as you please. It's much easier to put on the eyeshades vs developing x-ray vision to look through the window shades.
Absulately selfish behavior, particularly on long haul flights. Do you ever consider others?
mapleg and GFrye like this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
On certain airlines they are known to 100% lock the windows on a 787/789
It happened frequently to me on flights to and from SIN.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 6:42 pm

Programs: CO Gold
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan

Point taken. Since they provide earplugs, I’d like to practice the French Horn. Seems reasonable.
the analogies here are going into ridicule mode...........I totally 100% would love to hear you play the french horn, this is such a valid analogy that every airline I have flown has them, there are usually two per row, just like every plane has a window.......

Last edited by wolfie_cr; Feb 10, 2019 at 6:45 pm Reason: sp

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.