Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Edition: Window shades up? Who controls / decides?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Edition: Window shades up? Who controls / decides?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2019, 3:05 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Question for those who insist on a pitch black cabin during day flights: when you are at home during the day do you put the shades down on all the windows and turn out all the lights? What about in your office?

I'll answer first since I asked the question. No. I leave the shades open and the lights on because like most normal humans, I like light in the day time and darkness at night. This is irrespective of the view out my window (my office has a great view, but I don't keep the shade open to look at the view, I keep it open because I don't want to fall asleep at my desk; I would keep my office window open even if it looked onto the ocean).

The thing I really do not understand is people who claim they want to turn off the lights to look at a computer screen. Somehow most normal people who work in an office building manage to do work on their computer with the lights on and the window shades open. So why does this suddenly change when you are on an airplane, that somehow you cannot do anything unless it is pitch black? Or weren't you aware that you could adjust the brightness of your screen?

I was on a westbound TATL where it was daytime at the origin, daytime at the destination, and daytime at our position and the cabin was COMPLETELY black (787 shades controlled by FAs). Like, dark enough I had to turn on my reading light to see the food that was right in front of me. I guess all the computer people were very productive on that flight
Old Feb 10, 2019, 3:16 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Once again, I pose the question.

I have never had a problem overriding whatever the FAs do with the window shades. They darken the entire cabin, I can still lighten my window. Is it possible that people simply haven't tried countermanding the FAs' decision? Is it possible that in the cases I have been part of, they didn't actually "lock" (if you actually can?) the window refraction? Any other data?

I'm seriously looking for information here.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 3:21 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by wetrat0
Question for those who insist on a pitch black cabin during day flights: when you are at home during the day do you put the shades down on all the windows and turn out all the lights? What about in your office?
In my office at certain times of the year in the morning the light streams in through the windows obscuring computer screens and giving a sort of searchlight type ambience. The shades are then pulled down and are opened later in the day when the light is less obtrusive.

See the analogy?
chavala and Kannai like this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by 1P
Once again, I pose the question.

I have never had a problem overriding whatever the FAs do with the window shades. They darken the entire cabin, I can still lighten my window. Is it possible that people simply haven't tried countermanding the FAs' decision? Is it possible that in the cases I have been part of, they didn't actually "lock" (if you actually can?) the window refraction? Any other data?

I'm seriously looking for information here.
On certain airlines they are known to 100% lock the windows on a 787/789
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by BBSHOPSINGER
But keeping the shades open doesn't keep anyone from sleeping (eye shades). It's selfish and rude to force people to close them when they got the window seat for that purpose.
But what that person does with the window affects more than just that person in the window seat. And often times, the way the light hits, it could not cause a glare for the person in the window seat but could for someone else. As someone noted above, if that person is awake, what option to they have? To put on an eye mask and sleep when they want to watch a movie or work on computer?

Also, to some other comments, I am not sure departure time at origin or destination should control either. Some people may have connected to that flight. They are on some wacky time zone. They may also have a night shift.

It seems to me that if one wants the window open then perhaps one should ask those around them if they are ok with it? And if one insists that they control the window, I sure hope that they do not shut it when they want to sleep. Own the decision. If others have to resort to an eye mask, as should that person.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 3:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by RooseveltL
I'm the opposite - I find it immensely unsafe to have the shade down during landing. I wish more US carriers require all window shades up during take-off and landing. I typically choose Window seat for this purpose.
On the original point - keep in mind some TATL flights take-off nightime or red-eye resulting in sunlight hitting plane mid-trip. The original passenger may be knocked out or wearing eyemask.
Yes, and there is a good reason they like to tell you to put them up for landing and takeoff. In the event of an emergency, that shade needs to be open so you can see the situation outside...fire? Smoke? During an evac it's important to NOT open the door on the side that is on fire or smoke filled where possible.

And of course, in the event of a crash it helps rescue workers to see inside.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 3:29 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by mapleg
In my office at certain times of the year in the morning the light streams in through the windows obscuring computer screens and giving a sort of searchlight type ambience. The shades are then pulled down and are opened later in the day when the light is less obtrusive.

See the analogy?
Yes, and I would do the same thing. But this is about people insisting that ALL the shades be closed for the ENTIRE flight, not just the specific shades where the sun is coming directly in. A lot of what people are objecting to isn't direct sun but rather the presence of any natural light in the cabin.
demkr likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 3:35 pm

If you’re the only person with shades up, in a cabin where all other shades are down, it doesn’t matter if you are in the right vis-a-vis etiquette.

Everybody else in the cabin will find you to be obstinate, at best.

If you don’t care that this is how you’re being perceived, then may god help you.
mapleg, YYCowboy and gmt4 like this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 3:39 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Originally Posted by davie355
If you’re the only person with shades up, in a cabin where all other shades are down, it doesn’t matter if you are in the right vis-a-vis etiquette.

Everybody else in the cabin will find you to be obstinate, at best.

If you don’t care that this is how you’re being perceived, then may god help you.
Daytime AMS-EWR flight; I was that guy. It was late morning, and having a pitch black cabin doesn't really help with adjusting to the time.
One passenger complained about me, FA came over and demanded, quite rudely, that I put my shade down. I asked for the purser, and that was the end of that.

I couldn't care less how others perceive me; and tbh, living life that way has been ridiculously satisfying. For others, YMMV, of course
Old Feb 10, 2019, 3:59 pm

Programs: CO Gold
Originally Posted by mapleg
On certain airlines they are known to 100% lock the windows on a 787/789
do you have a list of these control weirdos so I can actively avoid them.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 4:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
I’m willing to concede that both sets of people might be selfish, since they are imposing their preference on the other set. But only one set of people can have their preference without affecting the other.

Those people should put put their eye masks on.
Dromomaniac, demkr and chemengin like this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 4:23 pm

Do the window people who insist that eye masks are the answer and who assume everyone has them (as an aside, most do not) ever close the window shades? If so, for what purpose?

I am someone who travels with an eye mask so none of this affects me that much, except perhaps when I want to watch a movie. But most people are not on FlyerTalk. Some people are kids or babies. Not sure how well masks work on them.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 4:46 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
I have had sunlight shining straight into my eyes from someone's open window (whether cabin is lit or dark), and dark cabin where my seatmate, on 777-200 middle J section, has his computer screen in BRIGHT pointed toward my face that I had to use a magazine to block the light.

Both incidences are from inconsiderate flyers. I don't care about whether you own the window or light, as long as you are not causing me harm. I wish I know how to deal with those situations diplomatically. The guy with the BRIGHT computer screen was the most annoying, since I couldn't watch IFE with light shining in my face..

When I'm on TPAC flights and I have the window, I will open the window to watch scenery. But I'll close the shade when over ocean and there's nothing to see. I may open the shade partially from time to time to see what's outside.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 5:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by CIT85
I have had sunlight shining straight into my eyes from someone's open window (whether cabin is lit or dark), and dark cabin where my seatmate, on 777-200 middle J section, has his computer screen in BRIGHT pointed toward my face that I had to use a magazine to block the light.

Both incidences are from inconsiderate flyers. I don't care about whether you own the window or light, as long as you are not causing me harm. I wish I know how to deal with those situations diplomatically. The guy with the BRIGHT computer screen was the most annoying, since I couldn't watch IFE with light shining in my face..
It sounds like your IFE was (or should have been) reading what was on his computer screen.

I'm an aisle girl myself. I accept the inevitability that the window seat has 100% control over the position of the shade as readily as I accept death and taxes. I travel with a great eye mask that I got on an SQ MLE-SIN J flight a few years ago. If I'm particularly lazy, I use the UA eye mask in the amenity kit. Even with all window shades down and the entire Polaris cabin snoring, the light from the galley is enough to disturb my slim chance of sleeping.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by wolfie_cr
do you have a list of these control weirdos so I can actively avoid them.
Air Canada for one. Very annoying on my last flight from Toronto to Vancovuer. Daylight flight leaving 715am..the windows were shaded 80% of the way. Could not even take a photo of the Rockies, etc.
wolfie_cr likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.