Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Edition: Window shades up? Who controls / decides?

UA Edition: Window shades up? Who controls / decides?

Old Feb 10, 2019, 10:59 am

Programs: AS Gold (OW), SK Silver (*A), UR, MR
Originally Posted by chavala
Does anyone else find it difficult to watch a video or do laptop work with an eye mask on? I can't seem to master the skill ; )
it’s really sinple. You put the screen on the inside of the mask. It’s a win for everyone!
onthesam and Kannai like this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 11:13 am

Programs: LH BA SPG
Smile To each their own

i ask people directly especially if it’s a night into day flight. I do think it’s selfish but good eyeshades are always in my travel bag. And if I write an airline review I’ll out those Pax, by name but at least seat number if I can manage it....nice the way we are addressed by name in the forward cabins.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 11:31 am
GDL

Programs: VB, UA, AM
Originally Posted by chavala
Does anyone else find it difficult to watch a video or do laptop work with an eye mask on? I can't seem to master the skill ; )
Perhaps what you need is an Virtual Reality headset. Two in one. Block out the entire outside world
Old Feb 10, 2019, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K HH Diamond
I'm in the "do what you want if you have the window seat" for long haul because that arctic scenery is beautiful and always nice to get a little daylight over a 10+ hr span. But where I do sometimes get irritated is on the 6am Monday flights shot haul flights where it's pitch black on the ground and everyone on the plane just wants to go back to sleep for an hour or two before the work day and one person has the shade up for the sunrise flooding the entire narrow body cabin. And not many people bring a sleep mask for a short flight.
Aussienarelle and zspitzer like this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 12:41 pm
Suspended

I am on the fence about this. On the one hand, your window, your control. And people SHOULD bring eyeshades..there is certainly more light than the overheads. People have reading lights, there is light from the galley, light from the seatbelt sign, exit sign etc. I recently did a TPAC in AA in J, window side on a 777, and even though they used the colored lights, my pod was still facing the dim purple recessed light.

On the other..I see no need for it on day flights of extended daylight time over the ocean. What is there to see but endless ocean, endless haze or endless overcast below?

And of course, if you are on the sun side, it is even more intrusive, sometimes making it hard to see the IFE, or even making you hot.

It's a case to case thing I guess.

Originally Posted by Medasa
. And if I write an airline review I’ll out those Pax, by name but at least seat number if I can manage it....nice the way we are addressed by name in the forward cabins.
Why? Do you think the airline is going to punish them? Or that it even cares?

Originally Posted by am1108
This reminds me of a overnight intl flight I took years ago. A couple sat in the window seat, one behind the other (i.e. 36A, 37A), and kept the shades down for both rows the whole time from takeoff to landing. As I like to look out from time to time it was horrible!
Want the window? Book the window.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 10, 2019 at 1:26 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Feb 10, 2019, 12:46 pm

Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G
I hate it during day flights when fa's come over to close the shade, over some ocean or not..
Old Feb 10, 2019, 1:05 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
On my most recent TATL flight last month, the dreaded late afternoon LHR-LAX flight the FAs kept the windows dark. I like the window seat as I want the natural light. I kept nodding off which I did not want to do as I try to stay awake to better acclimatize to the local time . Had a dreadful time with jetlag after that trip. I use the sunlight to help my body adjust to the time zone.

On the red eye TATL flights I close the shades as leave at night and arrive in the morning. On the reverse, leave in the daytime and arrive at night I want the window shades open.

The FA controls of the window shades on the 787 annoy me.

Agree with other posters though, you want to control the light in the cabin you choose the window seat.
cerealmarketer and am1108 like this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 1:10 pm

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
I'm the opposite - I find it immensely unsafe to have the shade down during landing. I wish more US carriers require all window shades up during take-off and landing. I typically choose Window seat for this purpose.
On the original point - keep in mind some TATL flights take-off nightime or red-eye resulting in sunlight hitting plane mid-trip. The original passenger may be knocked out or wearing eyemask.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
Agree with other posters though, you want to control the light in the cabin you choose the window seat.
I don't really have a problem with shades up or down, but saying it that way seems pretty arbitrary and somewhat passive aggressive I wonder if window seats would be as understanding if aisle seats said if you want access to the aisle choose an aisle seat.
I'm never clear on why people would want to plant a flag on this particular hill. If I'm trying to sleep, I put on the eyeshades. If I'm trying to watch a movie and I'm getting window glare, I ask for the shade to be pulled. Not for the entire flight, for a couple of hours or less (once the relative positions of sun, window, and screen change). What's the big deal?
VoiceActor and Kannai like this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Selfish
Old Feb 10, 2019, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Hilton Diamond
I'm really glad that someone brought this up. I was just thinking the other day, "You know, what FT could really use is a discussion thread about window shades and whether they should be up or down."
daisyatl, Kannai and physioprof like this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 2:43 pm

Programs: United Gold, Hilton Silver, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by daisyatl
I know it is controversial but I find it rude, especially when often more than 95% of the plane puts the shades down. If keeping the shades up only affected the person in the window seat then fine but it often affects a lot more. And not everyone brings an eye mask. After all, not all are flying Polaris and not all are experienced flyers.

I like views as much as the next person but would much rather allow my fellow passengers to sleep comfortably.
But keeping the shades open doesn't keep anyone from sleeping (eye shades). It's selfish and rude to force people to close them when they got the window seat for that purpose.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 2:46 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by jgreen1024
I'm really glad that someone brought this up. I was just thinking the other day, "You know, what FT could really use is a discussion thread about window shades and whether they should be up or down."
Such as in TravelBuzz
Window Shade Etiquette
International Window Blind Etiquette
Not allowed to open window shade!?

or UA forum
Too much crew control of window shades on 787?
Fly the Darkened Skies: What's Up with the Windowshades on UA?
UA's window shade policy and safety on take-off / landing

or other airline forums
... I will stop here ...
UK Stages and ContinentalFan like this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

eye bras

Maybe a digression from the discussion, but I would like to complain that for some months now the eye shades have been cost-cut into eye bras (the padded side facing the face has been removed), and eye don't like it.
1015-1k, onthesam and fezzington like this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 3:01 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by BBSHOPSINGER
But keeping the shades open doesn't keep anyone from sleeping (eye shades). It's selfish and rude to force people to close them when they got the window seat for that purpose.
I have been on flights where one person keeps their shadeup flooding a significant area with the light from the rising sun. Can't even see the video screen in front of me. Neither could his 2 seatmates.

Is that person being selfish?
chavala, GFrye and new_places like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.