Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Edition: Window shades up? Who controls / decides?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Edition: Window shades up? Who controls / decides?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2020, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Not understanding your point
alternative acceptable spelling?
or one of the multiple (mis-)pronunciations of the word?

How does hacking fit into this?? and window shades?
The term used in the US, in all those eco-skies announcements, is aluminum. She was reading blindly from a script, it wasn’t a United script—at least it didn’t start “as part of our...” Had it appeared, she would have likely gladly explained de-icing protocols, US immigration procedures or Australian quarantine regulations. I don’t know what script she was reading, but I’ve never heard the window shade position as part of an official, United briefing before.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 1:52 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
The term used in the US, in all those eco-skies announcements, is aluminum. ....
And how do you know how it was spelled in the script, as there are numerous variations on the pronunciation and (mis-)pronunciation of the word?

But this discussion has become pointless and far off topic.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 5:26 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I don't understand how people can sit next to a closed window shade during landing. It's just very odd to me!
Old Jan 19, 2020, 5:31 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by LondonElite
I don't understand how people can sit next to a closed window shade during landing. It's just very odd to me!

Same. I find it quite disconcerting.

I like the way CA handles the whole shade up-down thing (there's no messing around):
They make sure all shades are open for take-off; close them after take-off, and open them before landing.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
And how do you know how it was spelled in the script, as there are numerous variations on the pronunciation and (mis-)pronunciation of the word?

But this discussion has become pointless and far off topic.
The chemical element with atomic number 13 is called aluminum in the United States; I’ve heard Canadians say it too. In the rest of the English speaking world, the element is called aluminium. She used this latter term, reading from a script on her phone. She read other nonsense too, which suggested that the script wasn’t produced by United.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LondonElite
I always keep it, or them, open. I wouldn’t object if United made it mandatory.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 9:08 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
I always keep it, or them, open. I wouldn’t object if United made it mandatory.
Then they should make it policy or start making planes without window shades. Until that time, I will keep mine closed. I prefer not to have the light shining on my eyes or iPad.
iluv2fly likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 6:27 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Window seat adequate

The question is does the person at the window seat have the right to close the window shade because they are sitting there even know this on the middle and isle seat want to look out the window.
Why select a window seat if you close the shade when you board. Not a issue at night but I like looking out the window for takeoff and landings. If I am at a window would not close the shade without asking my seat mates if ok to close the shade.
lhrsfo likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 6:30 pm

I love looking out the window and resent being asked to close it.
Nope, scratch that, I don't resent being asked, I just say sorry I'm using it.
Plus I need the light to read my ebook. Cabin light is not enough.

However I respect whomever is sitting at the window can close the shade if they want. Not worth fighting over. Not like the aisle seat can look out well.

I am not aware of any rules except for what the FA instructs you to do.
lhrsfo and zdcatc12 like this.

Last edited by hotscot; Jul 24, 2022 at 6:35 pm
Old Jul 24, 2022, 6:40 pm

If the middle and/or the isle guys wanted to look out the window, then they should have picked the window seat!

If I want to sleep, I will close the window, and that's it.
Only exception during take off and landing when FA announces to open the shades.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 6:41 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
The question is does the person at the window seat have the right to close the window shade because they are sitting there even know this on the middle and isle seat want to look out the window.
Why select a window seat if you close the shade when you board. Not a issue at night but I like looking out the window for takeoff and landings. If I am at a window would not close the shade without asking my seat mates if ok to close the shade.
A couple of reasons I select the window seat. I usually take a nap and this means I'm not disturbed as much. Closing the shade helps me sleep. I get migraines and light doesn't help but will look out the window some of the time. I usually keep it closed because of the light.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 6:46 pm

Programs: UA AU MM,HH Diamond,Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Gold
I thought the unwritten rules were that the middle seat gets the armrests and the window seat gets control of the shade.
SPN Lifer and uanj like this.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by trm2
I thought the unwritten rules were that the middle seat gets the armrests and the window seat gets control of the shade.
And the aisle seat gets to trip them going in and out of the row.

David
Old Jul 24, 2022, 7:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
Why select a window seat if you close the shade when you board.
For exactly that reason. You don't have to rely on someone else to close it (which they could always refuse).

Originally Posted by trm2
That's the way I've always promoted.

Originally Posted by DELee
And the aisle seat gets to trip them going in and out of the row.
So do the middle and window passengers get to "accidentally" fall in the aisle passenger's lap?
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
So do the middle and window passengers get to "accidentally" fall in the aisle passenger's lap?
Depends on how good the aisle's foot twitch aim is. And, besides, there's plenty of other laps on the other side of the aisle to land...

However, getting back to the thread's topic, should note that quite often with SDC or late bookings, usually no option to pick a window seat. Been trying to get a shot on approach to 25L of Sofi Stadium for months now.

David

Last edited by DELee; Jul 24, 2022 at 7:34 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.