Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Edition: Window shades up? Who controls / decides?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Edition: Window shades up? Who controls / decides?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2020, 3:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
More than customary, compulsory for many/most airlines.
Yes, not sure if it is a EU requirement, or which airlines enforce it, but continent-wide it's pretty standard.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite
If it is dark outside, dimming the cabin lights allows you to more quickly attain higher levels of night vision.
That. Same reason for red light on subs.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Deleted

Last edited by ExplorerWannabe; Jan 17, 2020 at 3:32 pm
Old Jan 17, 2020, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LondonElite
If it is dark outside, dimming the cabin lights allows you to more quickly attain higher levels of night vision.
Which might make some sense if the cabin lights were dimmed ONLY when it's dark outside. I don't know about you, but I have experienced the "cabin lights dimmed for takeoff" under the blazing summer sun in Phoenix more than once. Hopefully the FAs will be handing out polarized sunglasses at the bottom of the emergency slide.

Originally Posted by kevflyer
That. Same reason for red light on subs.
So the crew can better adjust their eyes when jumping off the sub in a nighttime emergency?
Old Jan 17, 2020, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by kale73
So the crew can better adjust their eyes when jumping off the sub in a nighttime emergency?
Night watch / periscope
Old Jan 18, 2020, 9:23 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by iapetus
IME, this policy is enforced rather rigorously in Europe. I'm not sure I've recalled any FA on United ever asking for this, but I kinda think I have ...
This is also enforced everywhere I’ve ever flown throughout Asia, Africa and SA, but I’ve never had a FA even mention it on a US airline.

If UA and the other north American want to make this policy, I’m fine with it. I understand why it could be safer.
However, I’m pretty sick of hearing about FAs making up rules to please themselves.
There was a post last year about an FA forcing everyone to keep their feet flat on the floor during take off.

I would actually report this.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 9:43 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by chavala
This is also enforced everywhere I’ve ever flown throughout Asia, Africa and SA, but I’ve never had a FA even mention it on a US airline.

If UA and the other north American want to make this policy, I’m fine with it. I understand why it could be safer.
However, I’m pretty sick of hearing about FAs making up rules to please themselves.
There was a post last year about an FA forcing everyone to keep their feet flat on the floor during take off.

I would actually report this.
I've seen FAs ask people in exit rows to open the shades for takeoff and landing... many times.

I also remember the thread about the feet flat. Wasn't it ferreted out that the FA was suggesting this, not demanding it?
SPN Lifer and ExplorerWannabe like this.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 10:04 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
I've seen FAs ask people in exit rows to open the shades for takeoff and landing... many times.

I also remember the thread about the feet flat. Wasn't it ferreted out that the FA was suggesting this, not demanding it?
“No crossed feet for takeoff or landing”

I didn’t read the entire thread again but I only remember most FTers defending the FA and giving reasons it IS safer to have your feet on the floor.
If that’s the case, make it policy instead of leaving it up to the whim of a power-tripping FA.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by kale73
Which might make some sense if the cabin lights were dimmed ONLY when it's dark outside. I don't know about you, but I have experienced the "cabin lights dimmed for takeoff" under the blazing summer sun in Phoenix more than once. Hopefully the FAs will be handing out polarized sunglasses at the bottom of the emergency slide.
Obviously, lighting situations vary and can render this useless. But the reason that I would think that dimming the cabin lights would be helpful is that you reduce the glare of the reflected light from inside the plane, allowing one to see out more easily. But, yes, when there is bright sunlight streaming into the cabin from outside, it will overwhelm any glare from the relatively meager cabin lighting.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
I’m on UA653 (SFO/LAX) right now; we’re getting ready to land. The FA asked us to open the window shades for departure and again for landing. I do it anyway. It looks as if it’s part of a script, as she was reading it from her phone. In fairness though, she also read a statement about recycling aluminium [sic], so maybe her phone was hacked.

EDIT

hmmm, I now am getting more convinced her phone has been hacked. The latest statement, read from the phone, focused on passengers with tight connections (we landed about 30 minutes early) with a request for everyone else to remain seated. She asked everyone with a connection to raise their hands. So great, that statement primes infrequent flyers to panic. We’re now pulling into the gate: we’re 32 minutes early. Now for the rugby scrum!

Last edited by ContinentalFan; Jan 18, 2020 at 11:29 am
Old Jan 18, 2020, 1:17 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
.... In fairness though, she also read a statement about recycling aluminium [sic], so maybe her phone was hacked.
hacked?

I have heard the recycling announcement many. many times
One reason they use two trash bags to bring up trash during the flight.

I believe in respect to UA's Eco-Skies program
chavala and kevflyer like this.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by iapetus
IME, this policy is enforced rather rigorously in Europe. I'm not sure I've recalled any FA on United ever asking for this, but I kinda think I have ...
Same experience here. In Europe all the time and last month on QR into LAX as well. But never on UA and I have always wondered why not. Sometimes I dozed off during approach and got woken by wheels bouncing on the runway, completely unaware of the landing with all shades closed.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 6:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by Exleftseat
Same experience here. In Europe all the time and last month on QR into LAX as well. But never on UA and I have always wondered why not. Sometimes I dozed off during approach and got woken by wheels bouncing on the runway, completely unaware of the landing with all shades closed.
Sleeping until the wheels hit the ground sounds pretty ideal to me.

Anyways, just came off a couple of flights earlier, and it appears that it is now part of the standard take-off & landing script from the FAs (which is now even longer and takes up more time). Is this some new FAA requirement that became effective in the new year?
Old Jan 19, 2020, 1:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
hacked?

I have heard the recycling announcement many. many times
One reason they use two trash bags to bring up trash during the flight.

I believe in respect to UA's Eco-Skies program
She read aluminium not aluminum.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 1:17 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
She read aluminium not aluminum.
Not understanding your point
alternative acceptable spelling?
or one of the multiple (mis-)pronunciations of the word?

How does hacking fit into this?? and window shades?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.