Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread -- the active thread is United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

Important Note: these fares became available 21 Feb 2017 for MSP for travel beginning 18 Apr 2017. More markets were added 19 April 2017 for travel starting 9 May 2017.

Related thread: Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

If you booked before the dates above, you did not have a BE fare. If purchased on united.com you will see a warning like:

4. MileagePlus members will earn full Premier qualifying dollars, 50% Premier qualifying miles and 0.5 Premier qualifying segments for each flight, as well as lifetime miles and toward the four-segment minimum.

Link to UA's description of how these fares will work: Basic Economy.

Here are the key facts:
  • No seat assignments until check-in. Seats will be assigned by the system and cannot be changed.
    *NEW* When purchasing a Basic Economy ticket, you will not receive a complimentary seat assignment but may be able to purchase advance seat assignments during booking and up until check-in opens. If you don’t purchase an advance seat assignment, your seat will be automatically assigned to you prior to boarding, and you won't be able to change your seat once it's been assigned.
  • No guarantee of adjacent seats with companions
  • No voluntary ticket changes after 24 hour purchase period
  • Carry on limited to 1 personal item unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Customers ineligible for carry-on who bring one to the gate will be charged a $25 convenience fee to gate-check in addition to standard baggage fees (source: @united twitter)
  • Customers will not be eligible for Economy Plus or premium cabin upgrades. This includes all forms of upgrades (CPU,supported or purchased). Likewise for E+ access (elite or purchased).
  • Customers will board in the last boarding group (currently Group 5) unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Companions on same PNR will have same boarding group and carryon if one on the PNR has a waiver
  • No combinability with regular economy fares or partner carriers. Interline travel is not permitted.
  • Tickets will earn RDMs (based on fare and status), PQMs (50% of distance), PQSs (0.5), PQDs, in addition it will count for minimum 4 segment and lifetime miles (New as of Dec 2018)
  • Basic Economy tickets will use booking code 'N'
  • Online check-in only with paid checked bag, otherwise need to see a United representative to verify the onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass.
In air, passengers will receive the same standard economy inflight amenities including United Economy dining options, inflight entertainment, United Wi-Fi (availability depending on the flight)

related threads
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - no free first bag, no changes/upgrades allowed

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ

Pre-announcement speculation thread (now closed) New "Budget Economy" fares
Print Wikipost

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2017, 4:26 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
I just received the following email from United:
Dear TWA884,

Your upcoming travel to XXX was booked on a Basic Economy ticket. These lower-priced fares provide most of the same inflight services that are available with standard Economy – and you’ll still earn award miles. As a primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus® credit card, you will also continue to receive benefits that other travelers don’t receive with Basic Economy:

• Full-sized carry-on bags are permitted1
  • Priority boarding privileges2

These Basic Economy restrictions still apply:

• Seat selection, Economy Plus® and upgrades are not available3
  • Group and family seating is not available
  • Flight changes are not allowed4
  • You will not earn toward Premier® qualification or lifetime miles5

Thank you for choosing United®. We look forward to seeing you on board.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 8:36 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by UAL.com
– and you’ll still earn award miles
Guess we (OK, you) will find out what multiplier they use for RDMs. No matter which one, it will be a pittance
Old Jul 26, 2017, 8:50 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Guess we (OK, you) will find out what multiplier they use for RDMs. No matter which one, it will be a pittance
I'm 99% sure they use the same multiplier as a regular economy ticket on a UA-operated flight (5 though 11 × the fare, depending on traveler status).
Old Jul 26, 2017, 8:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by getagb
I'm 99% sure they use the same multiplier as a regular economy ticket on a UA-operated flight (5 though 11 × the fare, depending on traveler status).
I'll raise that to 100%
Old Jul 26, 2017, 9:27 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EmailKid
You have a PM.

For the price that I paid for this ticket, $69 for a non-stop flight of approximately 2,000 miles, it doesn't really matter.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884
You have a PM.
Thanks.

Please post a mini report (even a real report) in the BE experience thread

My only booked flights right now are Canada-Asia (got in on far from BE $2K Biz fares from YVR ) and Canada-US, so no BE for me for now.

I do see that both AA and DL have BE on Canada routes. Interesting as LCCs don't fly to Canada
Old Jul 27, 2017, 7:54 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Gold (Current Platinum), United Mileage Plus, Avis Preferred
I really feel that UA needs to add the check-in restrictions to the list of services that BE fares do not include. It appears from all reports that non-status, non CC holding flyers who are traveling on BE fares, and who are not paying for a checked bag are prevented from checking in online.

It's fine that UA is imposing these restrictions, but not fine that they are not upfront about it.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 9:34 am

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Has anyone else actually noticed a lowering of the BE spread in recent days? My SFO-SEA flights dropped $5, and I noticed an insane $50 spread on SFO-MCO that has since been dropped to $25 or so.

Seems that UA is walking back how ambitious they were initially...
Old Jul 27, 2017, 1:23 pm
Original Member

Programs: United 1k
Just had a funny thought. They should have an airline that just sells BE seats, no first class, they could call it Ted.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Originally Posted by mrjohnnyt
Just had a funny thought. They should have an airline that just sells BE seats, no first class, they could call it Ted.
RAR!!
Old Jul 27, 2017, 3:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Remember, there is nothing special about BE. It is simply a fare basis with fare rules.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 28, 2017 at 1:00 am Reason: split post
Old Jul 27, 2017, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by TWA884
I just received the following email from United:
I can now confirm that as the primary cardholder of a United MileagePlus Explorer card I was able to check-in via the United app and receive a seat assignment (E- window) the day before the flight.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 5:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Often1
Remember, there is nothing special about BE. It is simply a fare basis with fare rules.
No it's way more than that. The boarding group and baggage restrictions, among other things, go far beyond mere "fare rules."

This is a new class of ticket that comes with a whole new set of policies. And I can totally see UA enforcing stricter IRROPS rebooking policies. Remember, all rebooking is discretionary. Under the CoC, UA always has the alternative of simply refunding the ticket.
Old Jul 27, 2017, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by mrjohnnyt
Originally Posted by rittenhousesq
RAR!!
RAR!! lives ^
Old Jul 27, 2017, 6:11 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by JohnneeO
I really feel that UA needs to add the check-in restrictions to the list of services that BE fares do not include. It appears from all reports that non-status, non CC holding flyers who are traveling on BE fares, and who are not paying for a checked bag are prevented from checking in online.

It's fine that UA is imposing these restrictions, but not fine that they are not upfront about it.
A known issue, not by design.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.