Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread -- the active thread is United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

Important Note: these fares became available 21 Feb 2017 for MSP for travel beginning 18 Apr 2017. More markets were added 19 April 2017 for travel starting 9 May 2017.

Related thread: Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

If you booked before the dates above, you did not have a BE fare. If purchased on united.com you will see a warning like:

4. MileagePlus members will earn full Premier qualifying dollars, 50% Premier qualifying miles and 0.5 Premier qualifying segments for each flight, as well as lifetime miles and toward the four-segment minimum.

Link to UA's description of how these fares will work: Basic Economy.

Here are the key facts:
  • No seat assignments until check-in. Seats will be assigned by the system and cannot be changed.
    *NEW* When purchasing a Basic Economy ticket, you will not receive a complimentary seat assignment but may be able to purchase advance seat assignments during booking and up until check-in opens. If you don’t purchase an advance seat assignment, your seat will be automatically assigned to you prior to boarding, and you won't be able to change your seat once it's been assigned.
  • No guarantee of adjacent seats with companions
  • No voluntary ticket changes after 24 hour purchase period
  • Carry on limited to 1 personal item unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Customers ineligible for carry-on who bring one to the gate will be charged a $25 convenience fee to gate-check in addition to standard baggage fees (source: @united twitter)
  • Customers will not be eligible for Economy Plus or premium cabin upgrades. This includes all forms of upgrades (CPU,supported or purchased). Likewise for E+ access (elite or purchased).
  • Customers will board in the last boarding group (currently Group 5) unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Companions on same PNR will have same boarding group and carryon if one on the PNR has a waiver
  • No combinability with regular economy fares or partner carriers. Interline travel is not permitted.
  • Tickets will earn RDMs (based on fare and status), PQMs (50% of distance), PQSs (0.5), PQDs, in addition it will count for minimum 4 segment and lifetime miles (New as of Dec 2018)
  • Basic Economy tickets will use booking code 'N'
  • Online check-in only with paid checked bag, otherwise need to see a United representative to verify the onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass.
In air, passengers will receive the same standard economy inflight amenities including United Economy dining options, inflight entertainment, United Wi-Fi (availability depending on the flight)

related threads
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - no free first bag, no changes/upgrades allowed

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ

Pre-announcement speculation thread (now closed) New "Budget Economy" fares
Print Wikipost

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2017, 8:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by Kacee
UA has made it pretty clear they consider BE pax second class citizens for virtually all purposes. That can manifest in so many different ways . . . I just can't see where saving $15-20 would ever justify buying one of these fares.
FT'ers think on multiple levels. Most people who buy BE fares don't think beyond the $15-$20 savings if they can live with no carry-on and a middle seat.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 10:50 pm

Programs: 1K
Is BE the new E+?

Trying to do a SDC today and 3 hours before departure seat map (yes I know this isn't a precise way of viewing availability) shows 30 seats not checked in with tons of blue in E+. Expert mode shows Y1.

Got me thinking that if you roll the BE dice you have a pretty decent chance of getting seated in E+. Is that true or are cattle on good old fashioned E getting those seats before BE? Seems like it would be a logistics nightmare.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 11:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
You can roll the dice on free E+ on a regular ticket... on BE you have to roll the dice.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 11:37 pm

Programs: Jeff is Deaf
Booked a $100 BE ticket... 20% savings over regular. In return probably stuck with middle seat? Or can you sweet talk your way at check in. (Do Agents control seating at check in or is it computer done). I have star gold so will just head to the premier line and try my luck.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by mduell
You can roll the dice on free E+ on a regular ticket... on BE you have to roll the dice.
Indeed - I don't get the angst over not op-upping regular Y pax to E+. If the E+ lottery is such a lucrative deal, you can do it on a normal ticket too.

Originally Posted by YoungSoloTraveler
Booked a $100 BE ticket... 20% savings over regular. In return probably stuck with middle seat? Or can you sweet talk your way at check in. (Do Agents control seating at check in or is it computer done). I have star gold so will just head to the premier line and try my luck.
It's assigned by computer and you cannot change it. An agent may, but I would not hold out a lot of hope from the way they are being taught to handle BE pax. If you're good at social engineering you might manage something.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Depending on how the advent of BE goes, and if it does end up UA is seeing stats where BE is getting E+ more than a small minority of the time, there would probably have to be some adjustment made to policy. Either how seats are allocated closer to departure (as I've suggested upthread - potentially offering it free to high-fare spenders/*G on flights where they need to), adjustments to the E+ pricing algorithm, or (and I don't want to see it, but I doubt this won't be in the set to consider), adjustment of the amount of E+ seats offered across the fleet. Could also include a more lenient policy for silvers again buying normal fares (which I'd prefer) - either offering it a few days before departure, a discount on the cost up until they go free to entice more folks to buy 'em, etc.).

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 25, 2017 at 3:09 pm Reason: split post
Old Jul 25, 2017, 9:08 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by zdog2x
Is BE the new E+?

Trying to do a SDC today and 3 hours before departure seat map (yes I know this isn't a precise way of viewing availability) shows 30 seats not checked in with tons of blue in E+. Expert mode shows Y1.

Got me thinking that if you roll the BE dice you have a pretty decent chance of getting seated in E+. Is that true or are cattle on good old fashioned E getting those seats before BE? Seems like it would be a logistics nightmare.
Conditioning behavior works in both directions. UA has conditioned elites to believe that the only way to ride up front is to buy it. Similarly, UA is conditioning their customers that if you buy BE, you have a really good shot at sitting in E+ for free.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was surprised to see the BE discount at only $20/RT for a ~$500 ticket IAH-SEA-IAH, turns out there's no discount on the higher fare code (Q) return:

HOU UA SEA 111.63KAA7AKBN UA HOU 309.76QRA1AKBR USD 421.39 END ZP IAH SEA XT 31.61US 8.20ZP 11.20AY 9.00XF IAH4.50 SEA4.50

HOU UA SEA 130.23KAA7AKEN UA HOU 309.77QAA1AKEN USD 440.00 END ZP IAH SEA XT 33.00US 8.20ZP 11.20AY 9.00XF IAH4.50 SEA4.50

Still waiting patiently for Google Flights to offer an option to exclude AA/DL/UA BE.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 12:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I was surprised to see the BE discount at only $20/RT for a ~$500 ticket IAH-SEA-IAH, turns out there's no discount on the higher fare code (Q) return:

HOU UA SEA 111.63KAA7AKBN UA HOU 309.76QRA1AKBR USD 421.39 END ZP IAH SEA XT 31.61US 8.20ZP 11.20AY 9.00XF IAH4.50 SEA4.50

HOU UA SEA 130.23KAA7AKEN UA HOU 309.77QAA1AKEN USD 440.00 END ZP IAH SEA XT 33.00US 8.20ZP 11.20AY 9.00XF IAH4.50 SEA4.50

Still waiting patiently for Google Flights to offer an option to exclude AA/DL/UA BE.
The website offered BE and non-BE on the same itinerary? I don't think it's supposed to do that. What a complete cluster that would be, since most restrictive fare rules apply.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The website offered BE and non-BE on the same itinerary? I don't think it's supposed to do that. What a complete cluster that would be, since most restrictive fare rules apply.
No. There are -BR fares filed, but they're the same price as the regular economy fares. They exist only so that people can book a round-trip in basic economy when BE-discounted fares aren't available in both directions.

mduell is showing two itineraries; one basic and one regular economy. Both have the same fare for the return leg (apart from a rounding difference): 309.76QRA1AKBR vs 309.77QAA1AKEN. So, there's only a $20 "discount" for BE (aka $20 surcharge for regular economy) because the return fare isn't discounted.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

lolno, I won't touch UA flight search with a 10 foot pole. I use Google Flights, with ITA Matrix for the fare construction.

On the return SEA-IAH, the lowest BE fare is the same as the lowest non-BE fare. Offering to mix would actually be doing customers a favor in some ways, like seat selection on the return with a BE outbound.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 2:25 pm

hi all
Hoping you guys can offer insight into a booking error my dad did. He booked a RT ticket in the basic economy. He realized at the 40 hr mark that he made a mistake and booked the wrong dates (I always fear this even on refundable fares.) Anyway, he has reached out and despite having an explorer card, etc. they have no interest in changing anything.

Has anyone had any luck with a similar problem or will have to learn his lesson? The return flight is the wrong date, we will be on a cruise then

edit: he booked with his new chase ink NOT miles explorer

Last edited by aeneas3; Jul 25, 2017 at 2:57 pm
Old Jul 25, 2017, 2:42 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
lolno, I won't touch UA flight search with a 10 foot pole. I use Google Flights, with ITA Matrix for the fare construction.

On the return SEA-IAH, the lowest BE fare is the same as the lowest non-BE fare. Offering to mix would actually be doing customers a favor in some ways, like seat selection on the return with a BE outbound.
But that would reinforce two things that UA doesn't want to encourage
1- People who want any selection/flexibility would then have reasons to book BE rather than upfaring to the fare UA really wants people to buy.

2- People would get confused and potentially argumentative re: which flight is on BE vs which is "standard" ("But they let me carry my bag on last time!", etc.)

By forcing the entire trip into BE UA is keeping an end-to-end consistent(ly poor, IMO but that's one reason I choose to book above BE) travel experience and avoiding points for surprise/confusion/argument and preserving, clearly, all of the billboards to encourage booking a higher fare class.

Originally Posted by aeneas3
hi all
Hoping you guys can offer insight into a booking error my dad did. He booked a RT ticket in the basic economy. He realized at the 40 hr mark that he made a mistake and booked the wrong dates (I always fear this even on refundable fares.) Anyway, he has reached out and despite having an explorer card, etc. they have no interest in changing anything.

Has anyone had any luck with a similar problem or will have to learn his lesson? The return flight is the wrong date, we will be on a cruise then
Fly it as ticketed or lose it. If it's the return you could fly the outbound and just pick up a one-way ticket. Although throw-away ticketing is a prohibited ticketing practice, UA doesn't give you a whole lot of room aside from throwing it away on BE. The $15-30 difference is, among other things, an idiot insurance premium. (And I am always terrified of making exactly that mistake)

[And there's a certain irony that I'm commenting on a BE thread from the relative opulence of the ORD Polaris lounge, but I digress]
Old Jul 25, 2017, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by aeneas3
hi all

At 40 hours you're pretty much out of luck.

Since it's the return, if it's less than the change fee, you can just miss the flight and book a one way return out of pocket.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by steaminer
At 40 hours you're pretty much out of luck.

Since it's the return, if it's less than the change fee, you can just miss the flight and book a one way return out of pocket.
Basic Economy flights cannot be changed except in case of IRROPS (flight cancellation, weather, etc.). I don't know how they're handing weather waivers for BE -- for a regular economy flight, the advice is often to wait and see if your itinerary happens to get affected by one.

So, yes, your best bet is to book a separate one-way flight home.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.