Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread -- the active thread is United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

Important Note: these fares became available 21 Feb 2017 for MSP for travel beginning 18 Apr 2017. More markets were added 19 April 2017 for travel starting 9 May 2017.

Related thread: Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

If you booked before the dates above, you did not have a BE fare. If purchased on united.com you will see a warning like:

4. MileagePlus members will earn full Premier qualifying dollars, 50% Premier qualifying miles and 0.5 Premier qualifying segments for each flight, as well as lifetime miles and toward the four-segment minimum.

Link to UA's description of how these fares will work: Basic Economy.

Here are the key facts:
  • No seat assignments until check-in. Seats will be assigned by the system and cannot be changed.
    *NEW* When purchasing a Basic Economy ticket, you will not receive a complimentary seat assignment but may be able to purchase advance seat assignments during booking and up until check-in opens. If you don’t purchase an advance seat assignment, your seat will be automatically assigned to you prior to boarding, and you won't be able to change your seat once it's been assigned.
  • No guarantee of adjacent seats with companions
  • No voluntary ticket changes after 24 hour purchase period
  • Carry on limited to 1 personal item unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Customers ineligible for carry-on who bring one to the gate will be charged a $25 convenience fee to gate-check in addition to standard baggage fees (source: @united twitter)
  • Customers will not be eligible for Economy Plus or premium cabin upgrades. This includes all forms of upgrades (CPU,supported or purchased). Likewise for E+ access (elite or purchased).
  • Customers will board in the last boarding group (currently Group 5) unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Companions on same PNR will have same boarding group and carryon if one on the PNR has a waiver
  • No combinability with regular economy fares or partner carriers. Interline travel is not permitted.
  • Tickets will earn RDMs (based on fare and status), PQMs (50% of distance), PQSs (0.5), PQDs, in addition it will count for minimum 4 segment and lifetime miles (New as of Dec 2018)
  • Basic Economy tickets will use booking code 'N'
  • Online check-in only with paid checked bag, otherwise need to see a United representative to verify the onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass.
In air, passengers will receive the same standard economy inflight amenities including United Economy dining options, inflight entertainment, United Wi-Fi (availability depending on the flight)

related threads
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - no free first bag, no changes/upgrades allowed

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ

Pre-announcement speculation thread (now closed) New "Budget Economy" fares
Print Wikipost

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2017, 6:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by emcampbe
They could always offer N as an option, though I doubt, unless a competitor like Spirit still has ultra-low fares at that kind of advance purchase, they would. I'd think the N fares would have at least somewhat of an advance purchase restriction on them, no shorter than say, 2 weeks. All a guess, of course, but that's what I'd think.
That's contrary to my understanding of UA's statements and the comments in this thread. BE will always be available, but the fare will be a constant differential from the lowest fare otherwise available.

So at T-6 weeks it might be T at $200 and BE at $180; at T-6 hours it might be M at $7000 and BE at $680.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boo_Radley
If I'm reading this correctly, the mechanism would be similar to how first class pricing often works now in that it will be a fare that requires inventory in 2 separate buckets to be available. As an example, say there is a "normal" W economy fare for $500. There would then be a first class fare priced at $700 that requires both W and P. For BE, they could file a fare for $450 that requires both W and N.
Yes, that's exactly what I expect -- and, just like the current first-class fares, which are filed in conjunction with a wide range of coach inventory on the same route, I expect that they will have multiple BE fares in a market.

Originally Posted by mduell
That's contrary to my understanding of UA's statements and the comments in this thread. BE will always be available, but the fare will be a constant differential from the lowest fare otherwise available.

So at T-6 weeks it might be T at $200 and BE at $180; at T-6 hours it might be M at $700 and BE at $680.
Exactly. If all they wanted to do was to be able to match ULCC fares, they wouldn't need the differential pricing or anything else. They could just introduce a BE "N" fare (without any additional inventory dependency), let RM manage the inventory, and be done with it.

Personally, I expect them to file -GN, -KN, -LN, ... all the way up to -YN. It doesn't cost them anything except the hit to their reputation when someone purchases a $1800 last-minute transcon in -YN to save $20 and then gripes about the outcome.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 7:11 pm

Programs: UAL 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador
One thing we can all agree on, this new service does not sound fun !
Old Jan 27, 2017, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So at T-6 weeks it might be T at $200 and BE at $180; at T-6 hours it might be M at $7000 and BE at $680.
That's quite a departure from the DL E fares which all require some sort of advance purchase from what I've seen. On routes with non-stop LCC competition it can be as short as one week, but most routes have a two or three week advance requirement. For routes with no non-stop LCC competition they will often also require a RT purchase with a Sat night stay. The underlying fare codes for DL E fares seem to be limited to their two lowest fare classes (X and V).
Old Jan 27, 2017, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by emcampbe
perhaps this is the case, and maybe I'm incorrect here, but my understanding is as long as fare bucket is still available and you meet the original fare conditions (I.e, Sat. Night stay, advance purchase, min. stay, for example) it is not re-priced).
Yes, the change rules almost always permit an "even exchange" where inventory is validated at the reissue date, and all other fare rules are validated using original issue date. This applies even if the original fare is no longer published. If an even exchange is possible, only the change fee is collected, and this is not a process which is necessarily possible via cancel and rebook.

Originally Posted by Sykes
As such, it doesn't really matter much if N > Y because it will need corresponding Y inventory to be booked anyway.
Sure, but N > Y is still patently absurd and probably indicates they broke something with inventory control. The way N is set right now, it implies they would sell an MAA0AFBN fare but this would create really weird market optics. No one paying for an M fare is a target for Basic Economy, and all it will do is irritate HVFs. But I was proven wrong on the award changes last fall, so I really shouldn't be caught again underestimating UA's stupidity.

Originally Posted by Boo_Radley
If I'm reading this correctly, the mechanism would be similar to how first class pricing often works now in that it will be a fare that requires inventory in 2 separate buckets to be available. As an example, say there is a "normal" W economy fare for $500. There would then be a first class fare priced at $700 that requires both W and P. For BE, they could file a fare for $450 that requires both W and N.
Yes, precisely.
Old Jan 27, 2017, 8:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
That's contrary to my understanding of UA's statements and the comments in this thread. BE will alw6ays be available, but the fare will be a constant differential from the lowest fare otherwise available.

Yes.... this is my understanding as well.. thinking the differential may be a constant % difference though... maybe like 10-20% less than the cheapest fare class. I would hope that your case is true... we shall see.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 12:00 am

Programs: 1 thousand
If they do end up following the ridiculous path of YN, it might be time to find another alliance. LH do exactly the same with their european fares: even if the base fare is hundreds of euros, you're still expected to play along with their light/normal rigmarole - frankly ridiculous.

That said I've not really compared with what other alliances actually do, I believe BA are similar to LH in Europe at least, but the american ones seem to be sane so far (with the exception of UA).
Old Jan 28, 2017, 6:34 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jjmoore
Yes.... this is my understanding as well.. thinking the differential may be a constant % difference though... maybe like 10-20% less than the cheapest fare class. I would hope that your case is true... we shall see.
We'll see what happens, but I don't think % will work. I think it's going to be some sort of flat dollar differential. Let's say they use 15%. I don't think UA wants to give you $150 off of a $1000 M fare. They want to give you maybe $25-50 off so they can make it up in ancillary fees. They aren't competing with LCC's with their M fares, it's all about trick pricing to get you, in Expedia and the other sites, to see their fare as the lowest. Many customers still tend to disregard ancillary fees when they narrow their choices. Once you're locked into a UA fare you'll either pay ancillary fees, or you'll make a choice to buy up to the all-inclusive fare.

The critical factor to keep in mind is planes aren't going out with empty seats today. So there's no business incentive to offer a $850 ticket when they can sell one for $1000 (or $950 plus buy ups).
Old Jan 28, 2017, 8:29 am

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by JBord
We'll see what happens, but I don't think % will work. I think it's going to be some sort of flat dollar differential. Let's say they use 15%. I don't think UA wants to give you $150 off of a $1000 M fare. They want to give you maybe $25-50 off so they can make it up in ancillary fees. They aren't competing with LCC's with their M fares, it's all about trick pricing to get you, in Expedia and the other sites, to see their fare as the lowest. Many customers still tend to disregard ancillary fees when they narrow their choices. Once you're locked into a UA fare you'll either pay ancillary fees, or you'll make a choice to buy up to the all-inclusive fare.

The critical factor to keep in mind is planes aren't going out with empty seats today. So there's no business incentive to offer a $850 ticket when they can sell one for $1000 (or $950 plus buy ups).
UA are already copying the LH/LX approach of a differential, so I wager that they'll copy the fixed differential.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 9:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
And either way, it's a crappy new development from UA, but there's nothing "unfair" about it.
fwiw, it's not really a "new" development--I posted the same thing a month ago.

Having said that, I don't expect UA to actually publish BE fares at the higher fare levels initially. I would expect them to limit it to like G through S for a while to more closely match other airlines.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 6:19 pm

Programs: UA GS, TK Gold
from AC site:
"Effective for travel February 1, 2017 accrual changes for Basic Economy in Booking Class N:

- As of February 1, 2017, Aeroplan Miles earned in booking class N on all eligible United flights are not Altitude Qualifying Miles and will not count towards Air Canada Altitude™ status."

I guess that BE will be in N bucket only??
Old Feb 6, 2017, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tonykline1947
I guess that BE will be in N bucket only??
Yes, that's the information that was passed along to travel agents, and that matches the anecdotal evidence we've accrued.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 6:53 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Sykes
fwiw, it's not really a "new" development--I posted the same thing a month ago.

Having said that, I don't expect UA to actually publish BE fares at the higher fare levels initially. I would expect them to limit it to like G through S for a while to more closely match other airlines.
I was referring to the whole concept of BE fares at UA.

It will be interesting to see if they do limit to the lower fare classes. That would mean at some point they wouldn't have BE fares available. Seems to me that would be counter-productive, but we'll see what they do. I'm not expecting that they market these as cheap fares but rather as a discount to the standard price.
Old Feb 6, 2017, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Seems to me that would be counter-productive, but we'll see what they do.
Why? I don't think they're in range of selling clickbait to kettles when only M fares are left.
Old Feb 12, 2017, 2:58 am

Programs: UAL 1K MM, AA Lifetime Gold
Elites on a BE fare

I ran into my first BE booking today for a trip from Quito to Chicago in September. Flying with my wife and we are both United Gold.

I was offered a $199 bump to Essentials and $321 bump to Enhanced but no explanation as to how the "enhancements" interacted with my Gold benefits. It did not appear status was being taken into account on the displayed benefits so I just booked the BE fare. It let me pick E+ seats (exit row) and both the confirmation and baggage cost screen shows me getting two bags so it appears buying Essentials would have been a waste of $199.

As an aside, the BE fare for this leg was only around $350 so $199 was a huge upcharge. I didn't realize it was going to be that large. Is it a percentage of the fare, something based on distance, or a black box mystery?

Is the coordination of benefits clearly explained somewhere?

Am I in any danger of United clawing back my E+ seats and extra bag? The extra bag was in the receipt so that seems safe but I'd hate to be moved to E-

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.