Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread -- the active thread is United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

Important Note: these fares became available 21 Feb 2017 for MSP for travel beginning 18 Apr 2017. More markets were added 19 April 2017 for travel starting 9 May 2017.

Related thread: Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

If you booked before the dates above, you did not have a BE fare. If purchased on united.com you will see a warning like:

4. MileagePlus members will earn full Premier qualifying dollars, 50% Premier qualifying miles and 0.5 Premier qualifying segments for each flight, as well as lifetime miles and toward the four-segment minimum.

Link to UA's description of how these fares will work: Basic Economy.

Here are the key facts:
  • No seat assignments until check-in. Seats will be assigned by the system and cannot be changed.
    *NEW* When purchasing a Basic Economy ticket, you will not receive a complimentary seat assignment but may be able to purchase advance seat assignments during booking and up until check-in opens. If you don’t purchase an advance seat assignment, your seat will be automatically assigned to you prior to boarding, and you won't be able to change your seat once it's been assigned.
  • No guarantee of adjacent seats with companions
  • No voluntary ticket changes after 24 hour purchase period
  • Carry on limited to 1 personal item unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Customers ineligible for carry-on who bring one to the gate will be charged a $25 convenience fee to gate-check in addition to standard baggage fees (source: @united twitter)
  • Customers will not be eligible for Economy Plus or premium cabin upgrades. This includes all forms of upgrades (CPU,supported or purchased). Likewise for E+ access (elite or purchased).
  • Customers will board in the last boarding group (currently Group 5) unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Companions on same PNR will have same boarding group and carryon if one on the PNR has a waiver
  • No combinability with regular economy fares or partner carriers. Interline travel is not permitted.
  • Tickets will earn RDMs (based on fare and status), PQMs (50% of distance), PQSs (0.5), PQDs, in addition it will count for minimum 4 segment and lifetime miles (New as of Dec 2018)
  • Basic Economy tickets will use booking code 'N'
  • Online check-in only with paid checked bag, otherwise need to see a United representative to verify the onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass.
In air, passengers will receive the same standard economy inflight amenities including United Economy dining options, inflight entertainment, United Wi-Fi (availability depending on the flight)

related threads
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - no free first bag, no changes/upgrades allowed

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ

Pre-announcement speculation thread (now closed) New "Budget Economy" fares
Print Wikipost

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Old Jan 19, 2017, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
I would assume that any manual handling increases UA's cost per passenger and that for BE fares, United is trying to keep their marginal cost for that passenger as low as possible -- printing a gate pass/seat request card and making the agent deal with/shuffle passengers would seem to conflict with that goal.
How is DL doing it? However they are doing it seems to work.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 4:13 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
But UA has been very clear that BE seats will be assigned "automatically" at check-in and once assigned cannot be changed (and explicitly said "if you want to sit next to someone, this isn't the fare for you")
Yep, this is what I think is probably going to happen, as advertised. But that doesn't mean people won't line up to complain and try to get their seats changed.

I bet if I paid more attention, I'd notice a few people like this complaining about something they agreed to but didn't realize, on every flight. This is just one more reason. Even if the rules are clear when they purchase, realize that infrequent fliers often buy tickets months in advance for a vacation, a wedding, whatever. I have no faith in people to pay enough attention that they remember all those rules by the time they fly.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 4:17 pm

Programs: UA Plat
Originally Posted by JBord
Yep, this is what I think is probably going to happen, as advertised. But that doesn't mean people won't line up to complain and try to get their seats changed.

I bet if I paid more attention, I'd notice a few people like this complaining about something they agreed to but didn't realize, on every flight. This is just one more reason. Even if the rules are clear when they purchase, realize that infrequent fliers often buy tickets months in advance for a vacation, a wedding, whatever. I have no faith in people to pay enough attention that they remember all those rules by the time they fly.
Assuming you can find the rules when you have the wherewithal to look for them. There have been many times when I have purchased a ticket (say on Kayak) and had a heck of a time finding the fare rules.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Wooglin
Really? How am I supposed to identify a BE ticket when purchasing through corporate travel agent (or ideally, have the corporate travel agent eliminate BE fares from the available options entirely)?
Ask your TA how they'll be identifying BE in their interface.

Or look to see how they do it for DL BE today.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 6:24 pm

UA BE a match for NK and F9?

About earlier comments re KEF, and UA matching F9 and NK:

Found the short stop in KEF comfortable and just at the right time - leg stretch, snack, pitstop, and only about 3 more hours to Europe. The purchased baguette for 6 Euros was excellent value. No entertainment needed - sleep. Saved many hundreds!

Will UA really match the $79 I paid on NK three times last year, and once $38 on F9, for DEN-LAX-DEN? The free bag allowed (size 16x14x12), plus a few deep coat pockets, can suffice.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Exit Row

Found the short stop in KEF comfortable and just at the right time - leg stretch, snack, pitstop, and only about 3 more hours to Europe. The purchased baguette for 6 Euros was excellent value. No entertainment needed - sleep. Saved many hundreds!

Will UA really match the $79 I paid on NK three times last year, and once $38 on F9, for DEN-LAX-DEN? The free bag allowed (size 16x14x12), plus a few deep coat pockets, can suffice.
Hub-hub I'm more skeptical, but any hub-spoke where the ULCCs can offer comparable frequency (not 1-2 vs 10/day), sure.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
You keep focusing on these kinds of comparisons, but that's totally missing the point. UA doesn't want passengers to buy these fares. And if you're the kind of passenger who actually comparison shops the benefits of one carrier's BE fare vs. another's, they don't want you as a customer.
That makes no sense. They are already matching the fares and need to fill those seats. The only difference is that AA was uncharacteristically honest in its announcement when it said that no fares will be reduced - rather this is all about capturing additional revenue as we've said for months.

I am sure UA is happy for you to buy these fares, and then nickel and dime as much as they can for things you already get for free.

Now to be sure UA (and every other airline) would prefer to sell E or even E+ tickets rather than BE because it gets more non-refundable $$ up front, as opposed to the incremental nickel&dime model used by Spirit, Ryanair, Wow, etc. But the $ results will be the same. A $440 non-BE Y seat on UA TATL is the same as a $138+51+100+51+100 seat on Wow. UA is just more transparent now, maybe less so with BE.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Presently overflows from regular economy are pushed to E+, as discussed in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ll-happen.html .

However Basic Economy doesn't get seat assignments until check-in -- so likely UA will block space in the back for BE. Seems it would be a better move for UA to move regular higher fare economy folks forward and leave the BE in the back.
Perhaps, but more likely UA will assign BE to middle seats throughout the cabin, with a few isolated windows (as couple often take aisle+ middle). On many flights I find no aisle seats <7 days of travel, they are the first to go.

The families are going to be a huge problem, I just don't see how they will get around that but maybe the DL (or WOW) fans can enlighten us.

Originally Posted by Exit Row

When I was a poor student I would have loved this option though I can't imagine not checking or carrying on a 22" bag. Now there is no way I would ever sit in E- for TATL or TPAC absent a major emergency.

As for the fares I think the answer will be mixed. UA has (and will) match $19 domestic fares (or the equivalent when you add credit card fees, checkin fees, boarding pass printing fees, etc.) but not sure about the $69 WOW fares. Though I have seen TATL nonstop as low as $299 RT over thanksgiving, which is actually cheaper than WOW assuming you want an assigned seat and a 22" carry-on bag (plus no annoying layover).
Old Jan 20, 2017, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by Boraxo
That makes no sense. They are already matching the fares and need to fill those seats. The only difference is that AA was uncharacteristically honest in its announcement when it said that no fares will be reduced - rather this is all about capturing additional revenue as we've said for months.
AA has been much more aggressive, and publicly open, about matching ULCC fares. There's been some question about fare matching and I think Wall Street needed to hear that fares would not be reduced as part of the BE roll-out.

United's situation is different and I would expect the messaging to reflect that.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 10:20 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by fly18725
AA has been much more aggressive, and publicly open, about matching ULCC fares. There's been some question about fare matching and I think Wall Street needed to hear that fares would not be reduced as part of the BE roll-out.

United's situation is different and I would expect the messaging to reflect that.
Now that all three legacies have announced BE fares, the differences will be dictated by what major corporate customers decide. None of these fares are particularly attractive to a business, not because of boarding order, carry-ons, seat assignments and the like, but because they are inflexible.

Where these BE seats will really be helpful to carriers is on flights where loads do not match RM/IM predictions as sometimes happens. On busy routes where people have flexible schedules and there are multiple services, people will wait 2-3 hours for a flight with a better seat. BE may fill those seats which otherwise go out empty.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
The other option -- which I can't really see UA doing [and has issues for things like late arriving passengers, etc], but would obviate all of this -- would be to just not assign seats to BE pax, board everyone, and then tell BE to pick from what's left over
Don't see that as a viable option at all. UA isn't WN. Worse than not allowing seat assignments to anyone (though I realize some respect that kind of system, I think its silly for an airplane) is having seat assignments for some, with the leftover in the last boarding group having to fend for a seat on their own.

Plus, these are the last group to board. This will po people buying BE fares (though, seems like other things will, anyway), but will also tank OTP.

Originally Posted by tarheelnj
If a BE passenger gets a bulkhead seat or one of those aisle seats with limited under seat storage in the seat in front, they'd have to use the overhead. Best to just leave the FA's out of it.
There's nothing to prevent a BE pax, or regular fare pax, for that matter, putting a personal item in the overhead. I do it all the time - typically wait for the rollers to "fill" the bins, and their is almost always space for my small backpack between.

The point of the no carry ons is to provide an incentive to buy a regular fare, or if you aren't willing to, force those with more than absolute minimum things to travel with to have to pay for a checked bag fee.

Originally Posted by JBord
Not quite sure about that. Not sure about DL, but AC can definitely do seat changes on Tango fares. People will line up to complain for sure - they already do - insist on buying a rock bottom fare (in this case, for airfare, but in general, for anything) and then complain about the things they don't get.

Originally Posted by economyplusfan
Assuming you can find the rules when you have the wherewithal to look for them. There have been many times when I have purchased a ticket (say on Kayak) and had a heck of a time finding the fare rules.
You basically can't find the fare rules after purchasing that ticket, no matter where you purchase it. I usually save a copy at booking so I have access.

Originally Posted by Boraxo
The families are going to be a huge problem, I just don't see how they will get around that but maybe the DL (or WOW) fans can enlighten us.
Well, its easy enough to block seats for that. Probably towards/at the back of the cabin. Probably will have to happen in the not too distant furture as it looks like DOT will begin requiring carriers to seat <13 yo with a parent/guardian.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emcampbe
You basically can't find the fare rules after purchasing that ticket, no matter where you purchase it. I usually save a copy at booking so I have access.
FYI: ExpertFlyer allows you to do fare searches as of a specific ticketing date, so you can find historic fare rules later if you need them. Of course, this only helps for fares that UA publishes to the GDS; web-only fares (such as some of the /FLEX flexible fares) and award flights are unavailable. Saving a copy of the fare rules is still a good practice, of course, but it's nice to have a less cumbersome (if more expensive) alternative.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 12:17 pm

UA 1558 RDU-SFO is showing a fare lowest fare class of "L". Going through the purchase flow on United.com, the right hand margin (underneath the price box) says Basic Economy applies, yet I am able to choose Economy Plus seats for all 4 passengers, and the baggage information says that first and second checked bags cost $0 for each person. I'm 1K. So is this a Basic Economy fare or not? Very confusing.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
FYI: ExpertFlyer allows you to do fare searches as of a specific ticketing date, so you can find historic fare rules later if you need them. Of course, this only helps for fares that UA publishes to the GDS; web-only fares (such as some of the /FLEX flexible fares) and award flights are unavailable. Saving a copy of the fare rules is still a good practice, of course, but it's nice to have a less cumbersome (if more expensive) alternative.
fair enough, but I'd guess most folks don't have an EF subscription. For those that do, certainly a useful tool.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 49er
UA 1558 RDU-SFO is showing a fare lowest fare class of "L". Going through the purchase flow on United.com, the right hand margin (underneath the price box) says Basic Economy applies, yet I am able to choose Economy Plus seats for all 4 passengers, and the baggage information says that first and second checked bags cost $0 for each person. I'm 1K. So is this a Basic Economy fare or not? Very confusing.
Basic Economy fares aren't currently for sale, and they've announced that the first market, when they are for sale, will be MSP. Also, available evidence indicates that they'll book into N, not L. So, no, it's not Basic Economy. What date are you searching? What text, exactly, are you seeing?

Originally Posted by emcampbe
fair enough, but I'd guess most folks don't have an EF subscription. For those that do, certainly a useful tool.
Agreed, but I thought I'd mention it for the benefit of those who do. (They also offer a free five-day trial, which could be helpful for a non-subscriber who found themselves in need of the fare rules). You can also call UA and ask, of course.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
Basic Economy fares aren't currently for sale, and they've announced that the first market, when they are for sale, will be MSP. Also, available evidence indicates that they'll book into N, not L. So, no, it's not Basic Economy. What date are you searching? What text, exactly, are you seeing?

I was looking at July 4. Here is the exact text, which first appears on the screen where you enter traveler information:

Basic Economy restrictions apply, including:
No seat selection icon
No seat selection

Seat assigned prior to boarding
No group or family seating
No Premier® member seating benefits
No carry on bag icon
No full-sized carry-on bag* Unless you’re a Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card or Star Alliance™ Gold member. You’re allowed a small personal item.

Bags brought to the gate will be checked and subject to the applicable checked bag fee plus a $25 gate handling charge
*Unless you’re a Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card or Star Alliance™ Gold member. You’re allowed a small personal item.
Learn more about Basic Economy

Last edited by 49er; Jan 20, 2017 at 1:48 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.