Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread -- the active thread is United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

Important Note: these fares became available 21 Feb 2017 for MSP for travel beginning 18 Apr 2017. More markets were added 19 April 2017 for travel starting 9 May 2017.

Related thread: Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

If you booked before the dates above, you did not have a BE fare. If purchased on united.com you will see a warning like:

4. MileagePlus members will earn full Premier qualifying dollars, 50% Premier qualifying miles and 0.5 Premier qualifying segments for each flight, as well as lifetime miles and toward the four-segment minimum.

Link to UA's description of how these fares will work: Basic Economy.

Here are the key facts:
  • No seat assignments until check-in. Seats will be assigned by the system and cannot be changed.
    *NEW* When purchasing a Basic Economy ticket, you will not receive a complimentary seat assignment but may be able to purchase advance seat assignments during booking and up until check-in opens. If you don’t purchase an advance seat assignment, your seat will be automatically assigned to you prior to boarding, and you won't be able to change your seat once it's been assigned.
  • No guarantee of adjacent seats with companions
  • No voluntary ticket changes after 24 hour purchase period
  • Carry on limited to 1 personal item unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Customers ineligible for carry-on who bring one to the gate will be charged a $25 convenience fee to gate-check in addition to standard baggage fees (source: @united twitter)
  • Customers will not be eligible for Economy Plus or premium cabin upgrades. This includes all forms of upgrades (CPU,supported or purchased). Likewise for E+ access (elite or purchased).
  • Customers will board in the last boarding group (currently Group 5) unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Companions on same PNR will have same boarding group and carryon if one on the PNR has a waiver
  • No combinability with regular economy fares or partner carriers. Interline travel is not permitted.
  • Tickets will earn RDMs (based on fare and status), PQMs (50% of distance), PQSs (0.5), PQDs, in addition it will count for minimum 4 segment and lifetime miles (New as of Dec 2018)
  • Basic Economy tickets will use booking code 'N'
  • Online check-in only with paid checked bag, otherwise need to see a United representative to verify the onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass.
In air, passengers will receive the same standard economy inflight amenities including United Economy dining options, inflight entertainment, United Wi-Fi (availability depending on the flight)

related threads
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - no free first bag, no changes/upgrades allowed

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ

Pre-announcement speculation thread (now closed) New "Budget Economy" fares
Print Wikipost

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2016, 9:49 am

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
Will companion of a premier/cardmember get a carry on, or just the actual member?
Old Dec 9, 2016, 10:02 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by JBord
You don't quit a job over travel policy, unless there are other factors. Would you really go take a job that pays less because they don't make you book BE fares?
Not sure now, but I believe some did actually mention exactly that. That they would quit if they were forced into BE.

And yes, you are right, I do work for a small company, and it is exactly these types of things as to why.
I do sympathize with anyone forced to fly this offering though, but still maintain it's the fault of the employer, not United. BE definitely isn't targeted at business travelers.

Last edited by narvik; Dec 9, 2016 at 10:18 am Reason: spelling
Old Dec 9, 2016, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
If you're actually based in Wyoming, I'd be surprised if UA offers Basic Economy in any of your markets in the short to medium run.
Laramie, flying country wide out of DEN - First leg from Laramie for 500mi when timetable works. (It's usually a cheaper add on than the mileage + parking reimbursement to DIA).
Old Dec 9, 2016, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by narvik
Trying to get a grasp of what is going here:

- UA announces low budget fare class with stripped benefits & services
- many here on FT are complaining and the press is outraged, although many will simply never book this class anyway. It's just another low-cost choice
- some are afraid the companies they work for will force them to book into this BE class

I am not sure where the anger toward UA is coming from for the persons who fear their companies will force them to book these low-cost fares. Shouldn't they be directing their anger toward their employers? Wouldn't now be a good time to start negotiating with the employer to eliminate this fare class from the options? I'd be surprised if employers would not agree to avoid BE because of reasons already mentioned in this thread: lost benefits to employee, unable to change, etc.

If these employers are really that bad, do they also specify to stay in dormitories for overnight stays, and eat the 2-for-$2.50 McDonalds meals for their food allowance/ration? If yes, I'd change jobs.

Unless UA is pressured by negative press to scratch this idea completely, I'd suggest some pro-active measures, and not just wait & complain.
FTers could come up with a presentation for concerned people to bring to their employers. Just a thought.
I am surprised that my company hasn't tried to force United to implement it immediately, if not sooner!
Old Dec 9, 2016, 10:18 am

Originally Posted by narvik
Trying to get a grasp of what is going here:

- UA announces low budget fare class with stripped benefits & services
- many here on FT are complaining and the press is outraged, although many will simply never book this class anyway. It's just another low-cost choice
- some are afraid the companies they work for will force them to book into this BE class

I am not sure where the anger toward UA is coming from for the persons who fear their companies will force them to book these low-cost fares. Shouldn't they be directing their anger toward their employers? Wouldn't now be a good time to start negotiating with the employer to eliminate this fare class from the options? I'd be surprised if employers would not agree to avoid BE because of reasons already mentioned in this thread: lost benefits to employee, unable to change, etc.

If these employers are really that bad, do they also specify to stay in dormitories for overnight stays, and eat the 2-for-$2.50 McDonalds meals for their food allowance/ration? If yes, I'd change jobs.

Unless UA is pressured by negative press to scratch this idea completely, I'd suggest some pro-active measures, and not just wait & complain.
FTers could come up with a presentation for concerned people to bring to their employers. Just a thought.
It's laughable that you are equating an org asking employees to book the lowest fare, BE in this case, to forcing them to stay in dorms or eat McDonalds.
Try working for the gov't or a University. We dont have to stay in dorms or eat garbage, but we get reimbursed the govt rate for M&IE and are obligated to book reasonable lodging (no additional charges, etc). I'm already lucky I am not forced to book hotels that are under the max federal allowance for lodging, though.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by WyomingBrian
It's laughable that you are equating an org asking employees to book the lowest fare, BE in this case, to forcing them to stay in dorms or eat McDonalds.
Try working for the gov't or a University. We dont have to stay in dorms or eat garbage...
This is the attitude of corporate accountants I truly don't understand. Fast food is "eating garbage", staying in even a Motel 6 (let alone a dorm or hostel) is uncivilized, and yet employees can be expected to pack in shoulder-to-shoulder, knees crammed into the next row, for 6+ hours at a time, and somehow anything better is a wasteful luxury.

My last job was more ridiculous about this - nothing like spending $300/night to stay at the Westin, forcing near full Y by bashing the booking tool to get a nonstop, but a cheap business (domestic F) fare? Paid Economy Plus? Nice try. You don't need such splendorous luxuries.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 10:57 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by WyomingBrian
Laramie, flying country wide out of DEN - First leg from Laramie for 500mi when timetable works. (It's usually a cheaper add on than the mileage + parking reimbursement to DIA).
DEN will probs have a BE fares in many markets to compete with F9, but as long as you fly out of LAR, I think you'll be just fine. UA has a monopoly, so they have no incentive to offer a lower fare option
Old Dec 9, 2016, 11:12 am

DEN will probs have a BE fares in many markets to compete with F9, but as long as you fly out of LAR, I think you'll be just fine. UA has a monopoly, so they have no incentive to offer a lower fare option
Thanks, hopefully all that comes of this is that I am more likely to fly out of LAR for the first leg. Sometimes that seems great until you see the 6-hour layover in DEN on the return vs the easy 2-hour drive.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 11:34 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
You may be right, but that logic is flawed. "Lower" is only relative to UA's other fares. So they can offer their lowest fare for that market, and call it BE. Same price as before, fewer benefits. Even easier to do this in a monopoly market where people don't have choices.

The plan isn't to lower fares. Scott Kirby has already said this is part of the plan to increase revenue by $4B (quoting from memory, may not be exact). You can only do that by leaving fares the same (ancillary revenue) or raising them.

Besides, if they don't offer it, won't there be a bunch of customers (who don't understand this fare or pricing methods) complaining about wanting a "no frills" fare until until UA is forced to designate one?
Old Dec 9, 2016, 11:47 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
You may be right, but that logic is flawed. "Lower" is only relative to UA's other fares. So they can offer their lowest fare for that market, and call it BE. Same price as before, fewer benefits. Even easier to do this in a monopoly market where people don't have choices.

The plan isn't to lower fares. Scott Kirby has already said this is part of the plan to increase revenue by $4B (quoting from memory, may not be exact). You can only do that by leaving fares the same (ancillary revenue) or raising them.

Besides, if they don't offer it, won't there be a bunch of customers (who don't understand this fare or pricing methods) complaining about wanting a "no frills" fare until until UA is forced to designate one?
The cost of carrying a BE pax and a normal pax are basically the same, so UA has no incentive to try to push pax to BE. As has been noted many times in this thread, UA doesn't want people to buy BE - that's why they've made the product so terrible.

UA doesn't need to use BE to improve yields in a monopoly market - if the market could bear a fare increase, I'd expect them to raise fares conventionally instead.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 12:44 pm

The cost of carrying a BE pax and a normal pax are basically the same, so UA has no incentive to try to push pax to BE. As has been noted many times in this thread, UA doesn't want people to buy BE - that's why they've made the product so terrible.

UA doesn't need to use BE to improve yields in a monopoly market - if the market could bear a fare increase, I'd expect them to raise fares conventionally instead.
Right, I get all that. But by offering the BE fare, a knowledgeable customer will buy up to the next highest fare. So why not affect that same behavior in all markets, as long as the lowest fare competes with the lowest competitor fare in that market? It would seemingly be even more effective in a monopoly market because a customer couldn't switch to F9 or whatever.

And remember, while we FT'ers see this fare as a bad thing, UA is marketing it as a positive...well started to anyway before all the negative (and incorrect) articles.

Again, you may very well be correct in the implementation of the fares. But I think UA is missing out on a lot of revenue if they limit to LCC-competitive markets.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 12:49 pm

Programs: UA peon (+decades 1K), AA Exec Plt
Right, I get all that. But by offering the BE fare, a knowledgeable customer will buy up to the next highest fare. So why not affect that same behavior in all markets, as long as the lowest fare competes with the lowest competitor fare in that market? It would seemingly be even more effective in a monopoly market because a customer couldn't switch to F9 or whatever.

And remember, while we FT'ers see this fare as a bad thing, UA is marketing it as a positive...well started to anyway before all the negative (and incorrect) articles.

Again, you may very well be correct in the implementation of the fares. But I think UA is missing out on a lot of revenue if they limit to LCC-competitive markets.
United says they are going to earn a billion dollars with BE by 2020. It seems to do that they won't be limiting to a few markets.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
I have to disagree a tad with this statement.

The cost to move a BODY is the same (not considering size and that more low income ppl are overweight and more LI ppl would buy BE fares, etc..not trying to make a SE statement here)

But the body, fare enough. but with an E passenger, they can get a free bag with a credit card sign up, and anyone sliver or above gets a free bag and that BAG can cost $$ to the airline to transport.

I think the BE passenger will try not to bring bags, but a great many will have to buy a bag at a fee. That's where UA sees a lot of incremental revenue - and sadly much will be sprung on the poor shlub in BG5 who shows up with a bag, only to be told no and asked to pay at the gate. So, there's more revenue there.

United has said this is a plan to try and reduce baggage both onboard and in the cabin.. speed up the process and also reduce weight.

And also try and get some LCC flyers over to united.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 1:51 pm

Right, I get all that. But by offering the BE fare, a knowledgeable customer will buy up to the next highest fare. So why not affect that same behavior in all markets, as long as the lowest fare competes with the lowest competitor fare in that market?
The knowledgeable customer won't buy up to the next fare - instead, they'll book with AA/AS/VX/B6, where they're getting a significantly better product for the same lowest fare in the market.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 2:11 pm

The knowledgeable customer won't buy up to the next fare - instead, they'll book with AA/AS/VX/B6, where they're getting a significantly better product for the same lowest fare in the market.
Some will, some won't.

But I was responding to your post where you stated UA wouldn't implement these fares at LAR because they have a monopoly there. Which is exactly my point...a monopoly market is the perfect place to implement them, because customers cant move to a competitor, so they'll have to buy up or pay fees.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.