Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread -- the active thread is United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

Important Note: these fares became available 21 Feb 2017 for MSP for travel beginning 18 Apr 2017. More markets were added 19 April 2017 for travel starting 9 May 2017.

Related thread: Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

If you booked before the dates above, you did not have a BE fare. If purchased on united.com you will see a warning like:

4. MileagePlus members will earn full Premier qualifying dollars, 50% Premier qualifying miles and 0.5 Premier qualifying segments for each flight, as well as lifetime miles and toward the four-segment minimum.

Link to UA's description of how these fares will work: Basic Economy.

Here are the key facts:
  • No seat assignments until check-in. Seats will be assigned by the system and cannot be changed.
    *NEW* When purchasing a Basic Economy ticket, you will not receive a complimentary seat assignment but may be able to purchase advance seat assignments during booking and up until check-in opens. If you don’t purchase an advance seat assignment, your seat will be automatically assigned to you prior to boarding, and you won't be able to change your seat once it's been assigned.
  • No guarantee of adjacent seats with companions
  • No voluntary ticket changes after 24 hour purchase period
  • Carry on limited to 1 personal item unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Customers ineligible for carry-on who bring one to the gate will be charged a $25 convenience fee to gate-check in addition to standard baggage fees (source: @united twitter)
  • Customers will not be eligible for Economy Plus or premium cabin upgrades. This includes all forms of upgrades (CPU,supported or purchased). Likewise for E+ access (elite or purchased).
  • Customers will board in the last boarding group (currently Group 5) unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Companions on same PNR will have same boarding group and carryon if one on the PNR has a waiver
  • No combinability with regular economy fares or partner carriers. Interline travel is not permitted.
  • Tickets will earn RDMs (based on fare and status), PQMs (50% of distance), PQSs (0.5), PQDs, in addition it will count for minimum 4 segment and lifetime miles (New as of Dec 2018)
  • Basic Economy tickets will use booking code 'N'
  • Online check-in only with paid checked bag, otherwise need to see a United representative to verify the onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass.
In air, passengers will receive the same standard economy inflight amenities including United Economy dining options, inflight entertainment, United Wi-Fi (availability depending on the flight)

related threads
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - no free first bag, no changes/upgrades allowed

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ

Pre-announcement speculation thread (now closed) New "Budget Economy" fares
Print Wikipost

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2016, 1:48 pm

I'm OK with some of this, but NOT the computer generated unchangeable seat assignments, even for elite members. That's ridiculous. The current first come, first served system seems to work fairly well and there is no reason to change other than for UA to extort money from passengers by pushing them to pay for higher fare categories. What a disgrace.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 2:24 pm

Does anyone know what the Fare Code is for this new Basic Economy?
Old Dec 8, 2016, 5:25 pm

This will basically end my UA flying. I fly enough to earn a premier status, but my organization requires that I book the lowest fare (I usually have discretion over which airline)- so, by default, I would have to book Basic Economy and no longer earn PQMs and thus no status. Adios UA. Now i have to start researching with airline to go to.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 5:42 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by WyomingBrian
This will basically end my UA flying. I fly enough to earn a premier status, but my organization requires that I book the lowest fare (I usually have discretion over which airline)- so, by default, I would have to book Basic Economy and no longer earn PQMs and thus no status. Adios UA. Now i have to start researching with airline to go to.
If you're actually based in Wyoming, I'd be surprised if UA offers Basic Economy in any of your markets in the short to medium run.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 6:05 pm

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by WyomingBrian
I'm Gold. AC's introduction of Tango is what drove me to UA.

If it comes down to it the same thing will happen to me - But in my case I won't bother researching, as all the airlines will eventually have this same offering.

I'll just book whatever's most convenient (plus cheapest).

Today I'll go out of my way to fly UA. If I'm forced to book Basic I'll just fly Delta, AA, AC, Alaska - Whatever.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by gglave
I'm Gold. AC's introduction of Tango is what drove me to UA.

If it comes down to it the same thing will happen to me - But in my case I won't bother researching, as all the airlines will eventually have this same offering.

I'll just book whatever's most convenient (plus cheapest).

Today I'll go out of my way to fly UA. If I'm forced to book Basic I'll just fly Delta, AA, AC, Alaska - Whatever.
This. I got out of my way today to fly UA. I've been happy with that choice. However my corporate travel system today recommends 3 segment itineraries to save $18. I'm certain they will force me to BE should those fares be available. If that happens I'm not choosing UA.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 9:08 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Quick question: Is "Basic Economy" the same as "Economy (lowest)" ?

I have done searched several city pairs and see plenty of Economy (lowest) options, but nothing for Basic Economy. I specifically need to avoid BE because of the 4 qualifying sectors rule.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by og

I have done searched several city pairs and see plenty of Economy (lowest) options, but nothing for Basic Economy. I specifically need to avoid BE because of the 4 qualifying sectors rule.
There are currently no Basic Economy fares for sale. You can book any advertised fare right now and it will earn normally.

When the fares are launched, I would expect there to be a dedicated column titled "Basic Economy" or similar for that fare class. If the rollout is at all like Delta, UA doesn't want you to buy these fares, and will give plenty of warning as to what you are doing.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 9:14 pm
og
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: QF WP/LTG | UA P
Originally Posted by findark
There are currently no Basic Economy fares for sale. You can book any advertised fare right now and it will earn normally.

When the fares are launched, I would expect there to be a dedicated column titled "Basic Economy" or similar for that fare class. If the rollout is at all like Delta, UA doesn't want you to buy these fares, and will give plenty of warning as to what you are doing.
Thanks
Old Dec 8, 2016, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by og

Unless you're somehow posting for the future, no, at least not yet. BE fares aren't available for sale until Jan. My guess is there will be a new column for Basic Economy to the left of what is now Economy (Lowest) on the routes it's offered. Perhaps they'll change the name of what is now the (Lowest) to something else.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 10:17 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by rxalexa
Does anyone know what the Fare Code is for this new Basic Economy?
The speculation is it will be "N" but since the fares have not yet been offered for sale, it is just speculation. It is also expected during the booking process the BE tickets will be flagged as they are for DL's equivalent (“E” fare Basic Economy).
Old Dec 9, 2016, 12:34 am

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by RideThe22A
I'm OK with some of this, but NOT the computer generated unchangeable seat assignments, even for elite members. That's ridiculous. The current first come, first served system seems to work fairly well and there is no reason to change other than for UA to extort money from passengers by pushing them to pay for higher fare categories. What a disgrace.
Actually there's plenty of reason to change: why should early booking low-fare buyers get better seats than late booking high-fare paying customers? Seems very fair to me.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 2:38 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Trying to get a grasp of what is going here:

- UA announces low budget fare class with stripped benefits & services
- many here on FT are complaining and the press is outraged, although many will simply never book this class anyway. It's just another low-cost choice
- some are afraid the companies they work for will force them to book into this BE class

I am not sure where the anger toward UA is coming from for the persons who fear their companies will force them to book these low-cost fares. Shouldn't they be directing their anger toward their employers? Wouldn't now be a good time to start negotiating with the employer to eliminate this fare class from the options? I'd be surprised if employers would not agree to avoid BE because of reasons already mentioned in this thread: lost benefits to employee, unable to change, etc.

If these employers are really that bad, do they also specify to stay in dormitories for overnight stays, and eat the 2-for-$2.50 McDonalds meals for their food allowance/ration? If yes, I'd change jobs.

Unless UA is pressured by negative press to scratch this idea completely, I'd suggest some pro-active measures, and not just wait & complain.
FTers could come up with a presentation for concerned people to bring to their employers. Just a thought.

Last edited by narvik; Dec 9, 2016 at 3:59 am Reason: tidy up
Old Dec 9, 2016, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by narvik
Trying to get a grasp of what is going here:

- UA announces low budget fare class with stripped benefits & services
- many here on FT are complaining and the press is outraged, although many will simply never book this class anyway. It's just another low-cost choice
- some are afraid the companies they work for will force them to book into this BE class

I am not sure where the anger toward UA is coming from for the persons who fear their companies will force them to book these low-cost fares. Shouldn't they be directing their anger toward their employers? Wouldn't now be a good time to start negotiating with the employer to eliminate this fare class from the options? I'd be surprised if employers would not agree to avoid BE because of reasons already mentioned in this thread: lost benefits to employee, unable to change, etc.

If these employers are really that bad, do they also specify to stay in dormitories for overnight stays, and eat the 2-for-$2.50 McDonalds meals for their food allowance/ration? If yes, I'd change jobs.

Unless UA is pressured by negative press to scratch this idea completely, I'd suggest some pro-active measures, and not just wait & complain.
FTers could come up with a presentation for concerned people to bring to their employers. Just a thought.
I imagine many companies form their travel policies using some assessment of what level of service an economy ticket on UA provides. UA is preparing to sell a reduced-service version of economy, so unless the companies reassess, people working at those companies may get stuck with something other (worse) than what the company intended. At the least, then, these companies are going to have to reformulate the travel policies—and need to do so because in this case UA has changed the substance of the product they're selling more than they've changed the name of it.

I'm not in such a situation, fortunately, but I can understand being annoyed or upset and having to do this extra legwork now.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 8:10 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by narvik

Wouldn't now be a good time to start negotiating with the employer to eliminate this fare class from the options? I'd be surprised if employers would not agree to avoid BE because of reasons already mentioned in this thread: lost benefits to employee, unable to change, etc.

I'm guessing you work for a relatively small company. Big corporations don't work this way. I don't even know who owns travel policy at my company of ~60k employees. I believe it's someone in Finance, in the corporate entity, not my sub-company. Plus I'm one of maybe 10k frequent travelers. Who would listen to me? Especially someone in Finance who doesn't travel and is tasked with saving pennies because they add up in a company of this size.

I don't know what the food limits are, but I want to say it's $75 a day. Fine for me most of the time. If we don't stay at a hotel with which we have a corporate rate agreement (as indicated in our booking system), we need to log a valid reason.

A lot of these policies don't make sense. For example, if I stay at a Marriott, it may cost $5 more, but I get free internet and free breakfast, but the company doesn't get that. I'm not allowed to buy a F ticket, even if it's cheaper than a Y ticket.

My points are that policies in big companies aren't as logical as you propose, and that employees don't really have a voice. "Negotiating" travel policy would appear as complaining and would clearly not be a wise career choice.

You don't quit a job over travel policy, unless there are other factors. Would you really go take a job that pays less because they don't make you book BE fares?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.