Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread -- the active thread is United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

Important Note: these fares became available 21 Feb 2017 for MSP for travel beginning 18 Apr 2017. More markets were added 19 April 2017 for travel starting 9 May 2017.

Related thread: Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

If you booked before the dates above, you did not have a BE fare. If purchased on united.com you will see a warning like:

4. MileagePlus members will earn full Premier qualifying dollars, 50% Premier qualifying miles and 0.5 Premier qualifying segments for each flight, as well as lifetime miles and toward the four-segment minimum.

Link to UA's description of how these fares will work: Basic Economy.

Here are the key facts:
  • No seat assignments until check-in. Seats will be assigned by the system and cannot be changed.
    *NEW* When purchasing a Basic Economy ticket, you will not receive a complimentary seat assignment but may be able to purchase advance seat assignments during booking and up until check-in opens. If you don’t purchase an advance seat assignment, your seat will be automatically assigned to you prior to boarding, and you won't be able to change your seat once it's been assigned.
  • No guarantee of adjacent seats with companions
  • No voluntary ticket changes after 24 hour purchase period
  • Carry on limited to 1 personal item unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Customers ineligible for carry-on who bring one to the gate will be charged a $25 convenience fee to gate-check in addition to standard baggage fees (source: @united twitter)
  • Customers will not be eligible for Economy Plus or premium cabin upgrades. This includes all forms of upgrades (CPU,supported or purchased). Likewise for E+ access (elite or purchased).
  • Customers will board in the last boarding group (currently Group 5) unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Companions on same PNR will have same boarding group and carryon if one on the PNR has a waiver
  • No combinability with regular economy fares or partner carriers. Interline travel is not permitted.
  • Tickets will earn RDMs (based on fare and status), PQMs (50% of distance), PQSs (0.5), PQDs, in addition it will count for minimum 4 segment and lifetime miles (New as of Dec 2018)
  • Basic Economy tickets will use booking code 'N'
  • Online check-in only with paid checked bag, otherwise need to see a United representative to verify the onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass.
In air, passengers will receive the same standard economy inflight amenities including United Economy dining options, inflight entertainment, United Wi-Fi (availability depending on the flight)

related threads
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - no free first bag, no changes/upgrades allowed

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ

Pre-announcement speculation thread (now closed) New "Budget Economy" fares
Print Wikipost

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2016, 10:57 am

This isn't a "squeeze." This Basic Economy fare is giving people the opportunity to not have to pay for things they don't use/want to pay for. It makes complete sense, and I do not understand why so many people bash the fare. If you don't want to deal with the add-ons, buy the normal fare we've all bought for years.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by AlexM125
This isn't a "squeeze." This Basic Economy fare is giving people the opportunity to not have to pay for things they don't use/want to pay for. It makes complete sense, and I do not understand why so many people bash the fare. If you don't want to deal with the add-ons, buy the normal fare we've all bought for years.
You've bought UA's spin, which they're counting on. The fares aren't going to be any lower than they are today. They're just taking away stuff. To "deal with the add-ons" (which are already included in the cheap fares), you have to buy a higher fare. Here's how it works if you pay attention and ignore UA's b.s. spin:

Current low fare buyers will 1) pay the same and get less stuff or 2) pay more to get what they're already getting.

Noone is getting a break here.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Nov 19, 2016 at 1:27 pm
Old Nov 19, 2016, 11:15 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
{The} UA's website which makes crystal clear that the carry-on which OP uses will continue to be permitted him on a BE ticket (must be capable of fitting under the seat).

As the BE description makes clear, if you purchase a BE ticket, unless you are "elite" you will be limited to one personal item, e.g., the smaller piece capable of fitting under the seat in front of you.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 19, 2016 at 1:39 pm Reason: cleanup after merge
Old Nov 19, 2016, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by AlexM125
United has already told the public to expect Basic Economy fare to be comparable to existing low fares. At best, we'll pay the same and get less in return. I call that a squeeze.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 11:43 am

Programs: UA peon (+decades 1K), AA Exec Plt
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Below is what Delta.com does when you select a Basic Economy fare from the search results. Pretty difficult to argue that "I didn't see what I agreed to." That said, other sales channels (e.g., your favorite corporate travel system) may not do that (yet). Haven't tried the Expedias of the world to see what they do.
Originally Posted by Azmordean
From what I've seen with DL, the savings with Basic is pretty minimal -- 20-30 bucks or some such -- so never something I'd take advantage of but I'm sure some people do. I'm also not 100% sure how the search engine displays it, but for some reason, I recall it defaulting to regular Main Cabin economy, with Basic offered as a cheaper option. I'm fairly certain though, that the base fare is regular economy, and basic shows as a discount. So it'd show up regular econ, E+ (upgrade), or Basic (downgrade). I could be wrong though.

I don't see this as that big a negative, really. It's not like they are adding worse seats or something -- it just offers the most cost-conscious fliers a (slightly) cheaper option. DL also doesn't seem to offer it on all flights -- I'm guessing it only pops up as an option when the plane isn't full with normal fares or something.

As far as corporate travel policies, I understand the concern, but honestly, those are not United's problem. Most companies use a travel provider of some kind, and it is trivial for something like Concur to filter out these fares, as apparently a lot of companies have done with DL and AA. These fares make no sense for business travelers even on an averaged cost basis, so I suspect the vast majority of travel departments will filter them. Any that don't -- well, they are the ones with the issue, not UA.
I've tried to do a dozen dummy Basic Economy bookings on Delta since this discussion began and didn't see/didn't know how to recognize a Basic Economy fare.

Does the warning only show when you are paying?
Are they not so common?
Old Nov 19, 2016, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by Often1
{The} UA's website which makes crystal clear that the carry-on which OP uses will continue to be permitted him on a BE ticket (must be capable of fitting under the seat).

As the BE description makes clear, if you purchase a BE ticket, unless you are "elite" you will be limited to one personal item, e.g., the smaller piece capable of fitting under the seat in front of you.
I'm so confused now. If someone buys a BE ticket, will he/she/other be denied boarding at the gate if bringing a standard size carry-on case(which won't fit under the seat).

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 19, 2016 at 1:40 pm Reason: Quote updated to reflect Moderator edit
Old Nov 19, 2016, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by B_Rosenthal
I'm so confused now. If someone buys a BE ticket, will he/she/other be denied boarding at the gate if bringing a standard size carry-on case(which won't fit under the seat).
No, they'll be charged to check it.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 11:52 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by CurbedEnthusiasm
United has already told the public to expect Basic Economy fare to be comparable to existing low fares. At best, we'll pay the same and get less in return. I call that a squeeze.
I'm guessing this isn't going to affect me hugely. Primarily on short hops like SFO-LAS which are often subject to fare wars with Southwest... I can't see a $99 r/t as being profitable but rather a way to keep people from feeling elsewhere, and those fleeing won't be upper-level elites. I mean, 414 miles in F... that's a coveted upgrade! :-)

I generally fly domestic routes at about $.08/mile and those fares aren't likely to be targeted for BE. If I had more flexibility and could take advantage of the occasional $<200 TCON, maybe that would be different. If I was into domestic mileage runs, those might be hit hard. But that's in my past.

Main thing that might kill me is my yearly vacation trip with my wife. The $800 SFO-SIN fare... would that be a candidate for BE?

It's curious that, unless I missed it buried in here (easily done due to the length of this thread), nobody's looked at this from a CPM standpoint. That could be a really simple way for UA to identify flights that might "benefit" from BE.

Originally Posted by smxflyer
No PQM, PQD, PQS for basic economy? If this is a significant amount of fares, there really is no point to loyalty.
There remain very good reasons for loyalty. United is simply making it far less easy to get the rewards without contributing more-positively to their (United's) bottom line.

Let's face it, the year I made 1K... I was not worthy. United (and other airlines) were using elite status to fill seats, period. Double and even triple EQMs? I mean seriously... it's a very different ballgame today. The airlines will continue to refine their reward system, fine-tuning to get the maximum average CPM possible. They can afford to risk some degree of alienation at the moment because planes are flying quite full and their competitors are playing the same game.

The whole thing falls apart when the economy hits the skids.

I can talk about this from a somewhat detached viewpoint because I've given up; this is the first year in ages where I'll see a decline in my elite status, from Plat to Gold. I don't have the financial means to "challenge" that change, so I'm actually kinda grateful United has helped put temptation behind me by making it tougher to fly more than I can afford to.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 19, 2016 at 1:42 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Nov 19, 2016, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by mduell
No, they'll be charged to check it.
My house came with a trash compactor which has never been used. Perhaps I should look into having my non-breakable stuff compacted into a backpack size block?
Old Nov 19, 2016, 12:35 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by CurbedEnthusiasm
That is false. UA executives said precisely the opposite, that existing economy fares are not expected to increase, and that BE will be priced below them.

Perhaps you're mistakenly referring to the excerpt from the Yahoo! Finance article that was circulating earlier in the thread? Several people misread the piece and believed it to be a quotation from a UA executive, but it was not.

I realize many people here loathe UA, but let's stick to the facts. Who knows -- UA may in fact raise fares around the time BE is introduced, but we will have no way of knowing if it is in response to market conditions or part of the nefarious scheme that so many on FT are expecting.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Who is supposed to enforce those people on BE fares not tossing their personal item in the overhead?
Old Nov 19, 2016, 12:58 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by Baze
Who is supposed to enforce those people on BE fares not tossing their personal item in the overhead?
UA has made no mention of disallowing BE customers from using the overhead bins for their personal items. Besides, without any roll-aboards in group 5, there may well be plenty of space for smaller items.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA peon (+decades 1K), AA Exec Plt
Originally Posted by Baze
You won't have to gate check because there is no bin space is the idea I think.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Michael D
You won't have to gate check because there is no bin space is the idea I think.
Ah, by those people put their roll aboard in the bin and their personal under the seat. Now they will put all their personal stuff in the overhead. Hey, just playing devils advocate here.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do people really think there will be that many BE fares bought it will have that big an impact on freeing up bin space. So many reports of people saying group 2 sometimes has to gate check.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.