Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread -- the active thread is United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

Important Note: these fares became available 21 Feb 2017 for MSP for travel beginning 18 Apr 2017. More markets were added 19 April 2017 for travel starting 9 May 2017.

Related thread: Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

If you booked before the dates above, you did not have a BE fare. If purchased on united.com you will see a warning like:

4. MileagePlus members will earn full Premier qualifying dollars, 50% Premier qualifying miles and 0.5 Premier qualifying segments for each flight, as well as lifetime miles and toward the four-segment minimum.

Link to UA's description of how these fares will work: Basic Economy.

Here are the key facts:
  • No seat assignments until check-in. Seats will be assigned by the system and cannot be changed.
    *NEW* When purchasing a Basic Economy ticket, you will not receive a complimentary seat assignment but may be able to purchase advance seat assignments during booking and up until check-in opens. If you don’t purchase an advance seat assignment, your seat will be automatically assigned to you prior to boarding, and you won't be able to change your seat once it's been assigned.
  • No guarantee of adjacent seats with companions
  • No voluntary ticket changes after 24 hour purchase period
  • Carry on limited to 1 personal item unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Customers ineligible for carry-on who bring one to the gate will be charged a $25 convenience fee to gate-check in addition to standard baggage fees (source: @united twitter)
  • Customers will not be eligible for Economy Plus or premium cabin upgrades. This includes all forms of upgrades (CPU,supported or purchased). Likewise for E+ access (elite or purchased).
  • Customers will board in the last boarding group (currently Group 5) unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Companions on same PNR will have same boarding group and carryon if one on the PNR has a waiver
  • No combinability with regular economy fares or partner carriers. Interline travel is not permitted.
  • Tickets will earn RDMs (based on fare and status), PQMs (50% of distance), PQSs (0.5), PQDs, in addition it will count for minimum 4 segment and lifetime miles (New as of Dec 2018)
  • Basic Economy tickets will use booking code 'N'
  • Online check-in only with paid checked bag, otherwise need to see a United representative to verify the onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass.
In air, passengers will receive the same standard economy inflight amenities including United Economy dining options, inflight entertainment, United Wi-Fi (availability depending on the flight)

related threads
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - no free first bag, no changes/upgrades allowed

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ

Pre-announcement speculation thread (now closed) New "Budget Economy" fares
Print Wikipost

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Old Dec 21, 2017, 12:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
This really has been a failed experiment, time to get rid of it.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
N=M. They weren't supposed to be doing this anymore.
I suspect that BE is mostly for Kayakers - if you're shopping on the UA site it seems to rarely show much discount relative to much less restrictive options (or often shows little discount, depending on how you interpret it). I often start with my searches with general searches on the online travel agencies, though, and often all it shows is BE fares ("this is a basic economy fare") without making clear how much restriction it adds for how little savings. As far as UA fares, it's often pages of BE fares before you see any regular non-BE (which is what I want). I always cross check OLTA fares against what I can book directly with the airline, so the difference is obvious there.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 12:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by chrisl137
I suspect that BE is mostly for Kayakers
Which is exactly why they shouldn't be offering BE priced as an M fare.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DCP2016
This really has been a failed experiment, time to get rid of it.
im just curious - do you have a good sense of UAs internal numbers to back up that It has been a ‘failed experiment’. Or is that just conjecture because you don’t want to buy it?.

Look, I’m no fan of BE, and have no intention of ever buying it. That said, apparently many people are buying the product where it is available. Tthere are folks working in revenue management who can certainly back up or deny your statement. But a bunch of FTers complaining about super cheap fares not earning benefits like they used to doesn’t equate to failure.

Also, even if UA did ‘get rid of it’, there is no guarantee that the prices falling under BE today would be back - current G prices night stay the same.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by zrs70
I can understand if full Y is more than restricted P/Z fares. But what is the motivating factor to purchase a Basic Economy Fare if the Z fare is less?
I've actually seen this on a bunch of searches I've done recently, mostly SFO-WAS all for flights that are quite a few months out. I think there might be some quirk (bug?) in their system which somehow prices BE significantly higher ($50-$100) when there are still lots of lower fare classes available. I laugh every time I see it, since it's hard to imagine any reason they would do that on purpose.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 1:25 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by emcampbe
But a bunch of FTers complaining about super cheap fares not earning benefits like they used to doesn’t equate to failure.
UA did acknowledge that the rollout of BE caused a material drop in revenue. Whether their "fixes" have actually fixed anything is open to debate. This is apparently one of Kirby's pet projects, which of course makes it harder for the company to admit total failure and just walk away.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

UA did acknowledge that the rollout of BE caused a material drop in revenue. Whether their "fixes" have actually fixed anything is open to debate. This is apparently one of Kirby's pet projects, which of course makes it harder for the company to admit total failure and just walk away.
It’s also the future of the industry, whether any of us like it or not. From AC’s Tango fares to DL’s Basic Economy to LH’s Light fares to SQ’s recent Lite fares, unbundling has been a consistent trend in the industy for years. I haven’t purchased a BE fare, and I doubt that I will, but it’s silly to suggest that UA is refusing to walk away due to pride.

UA can’t catch a break — if their BE product were exactly the same as DL’s, they’d be derided for copying the competition; they tried to innovate, and now they catch flak for not copying the competition.

It’s a column on a webpage; it’s not that hard to ignore. BE bothers me much more because of the extra work I have to put in to use Google Flights than because they still list BE fares in high fare classes that are hidden most of the time.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 12:07 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
UA can’t catch a break — if their BE product were exactly the same as DL’s, they’d be derided for copying the competition; they tried to innovate, and now they catch flak for not copying the competition.
That's one way to describe it. I would describe UA's special "features" a bit less charitably. Particularly when they're offering them all the way up to a $459 M fare SFO-SAN.

I don't know of any other carrier that's trying to sell BE fares at full fare prices* (or for prices that are higher than F fares on the same flight, as zrs70 noted upthread). That's contrary to the whole notion of unbundling.

*Though LH does offer a choice of light, classic, or flex all the way up the fare ladder. This approach actually offers the passenger the choice of unbundling at all inventory levels. It seems UA has tried to achieve something similar, but they've done it much more clumsily.

Last edited by Kacee; Dec 22, 2017 at 12:22 am
Old Dec 22, 2017, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's one way to describe it. I would describe UA's special "features" a bit less charitably. Particularly when they're offering them all the way up to a $459 M fare SFO-SAN.
Assuming that they can’t combine BE and regular economy on the same ticket, what’s the alternative? Refuse to show someone the BE return flight because their outbound flight isn’t BE eligible? “My grandfather died and UA charged me an extra $40 on my return flight!”

Given that the price is the same, and nobody would voluntarily choose BE without a discount, I think this is much ado about nothing. They’re not really trying to sell a $459 M fare for SFO-SAN; it’s just an artifact of the pricing system.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Assuming that they can’t combine BE and regular economy on the same ticket, what’s the alternative? ....
2 one-ways.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
2 one-ways.
Sure, assuming that the BE fare doesn’t require a round-trip, and that the traveler is savvy enough to think of that. I certainly wouldn’t expect that UA would issue two one-way tickets after I commenced a round-trip search on their website, though.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 5:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by emcampbe

im just curious - do you have a good sense of UAs internal numbers to back up that It has been a ‘failed experiment’. Or is that just conjecture because you don’t want to buy it?.

Look, I’m no fan of BE, and have no intention of ever buying it. That said, apparently many people are buying the product where it is available. Tthere are folks working in revenue management who can certainly back up or deny your statement. But a bunch of FTers complaining about super cheap fares not earning benefits like they used to doesn’t equate to failure.

Also, even if UA did ‘get rid of it’, there is no guarantee that the prices falling under BE today would be back - current G prices night stay the same.
I've seen more cases of BE fares on AA/DL/UA being close in price, the exact same, or even more expensive than I've seen of them being dirt cheap. They don't even allow add-ons like G4/NK/F9 allow. I also have a source at one airline claim that their revenue dropped after they introduced BE fares, and that they are having a hard time perfecting BE fares. So yes, in my opinion, it is a failed experiment.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K

Sure, assuming that the BE fare doesn’t require a round-trip, and that the traveler is savvy enough to think of that. I certainly wouldn’t expect that UA would issue two one-way tickets after I commenced a round-trip search on their website, though.
My only two BE purchases were nested one-ways (within non-BE itineraries). Worked out well, but you're right - average travelers aren't going to know all the ticketing nuances.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 5:47 pm

Given that the price is the same, and nobody would voluntarily choose BE without a discount, I think this is much ado about nothing. They’re not really trying to sell a $459 M fare for SFO-SAN; it’s just an artifact of the pricing system.
Im a free agent right now here in DEN, but I’ve been between a lot of DL and UA lately. Just for the record: DL does this exact same thing now. I’m seeing Basic Economy offered even on walk up style fares for insane prices, paying an extra $20-25 at that point is just an insult.

IMO the only reason DL is not getting killed by these fares as well is the free carry on. A lot of people are willing to part with a seat assignment, but you can forget when you ask Granny to let the duffel bag out of her clutches. Also, the one time I purchased UA BE last week, not being allowed to check in online or without an agent because I’m only bringing a backpack is annoying at best, you think anybody at UA with half a brain would realize that...

All these airlines are at the point where they’re about to lose me, $50 roundtrip (I see $80 a lot on UA) is quite ridiculous. I also have “proof” (well...really just memorization) that the lowest BE fares now are the same price as what used to be Main Cabin tickets on my frequent routes. For those who have suggested this is nothing more than a revenue ploy rather than a way to compete with F9 and NK, 100% correct imo

Old Dec 22, 2017, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jk88usa
Im a free agent right now here in DEN, but I’ve been between a lot of DL and UA lately. Just for the record: DL does this exact same thing now. I’m seeing Basic Economy offered even on walk up style fares for insane prices, paying an extra $20-25 at that point is just an insult.

The last that I’ve seen, UA is no longer offering BE on walk-up style fares except under the specific circumstance that Kacee saw — when it’s only one way of a round-trip and BE is available (on a non-walk-up fare) in the other direction. The only exception are a few legitimately low-price fares that have been popping up, where UA will file a 0-advance-purchase deep discount fare that’s not paired with a regular economy fare. If you want regular economy, you have to pay walk-up prices, but BE is significantly cheaper (examples have been in the hundreds of dollars).

If DL is truly doing what you’re saying — which, if you were to read the gleeful posts by certain members of this forum, is completely impossible because DL is nearly perfect and knows that BE is a horribly offensive product to business travelers — that’s new for them, and a worrying sign that UA’s original plan was correct and may return. (UA originally expected the other airlines to follow suit and only rolled back the broader BE implementation because they didn’t).

IMO the only reason DL is not getting killed by these fares as well is the free carry on. A lot of people are willing to part with a seat assignment, but you can forget when you ask Granny to let the duffel bag out of her clutches. Also, the one time I purchased UA BE last week, not being allowed to check in online or without an agent because I’m only bringing a backpack is annoying at best, you think anybody at UA with half a brain would realize that...
I agree that the rules are more Draconian on UA. I almost give them credit for the check-in thing, though, because they’re really trying to keep people from bringing a full-size carry on to the gate and then getting upset. I say “almost” because it’s sort of like praising them for not shooting their entire foot off — “good job, guys the ankle’s still intact!” — but more passengers screaming at the gate agent wouldn’t be good for anyone.

All these airlines are at the point where they’re about to lose me, $50 roundtrip (I see $80 a lot on UA) is quite ridiculous. I also have “proof” (well...really just memorization) that the lowest BE fares now are the same price as what used to be Main Cabin tickets on my frequent routes. For those who have suggested this is nothing more than a revenue ploy rather than a way to compete with F9 and NK, 100% correct imo
Well, the intent is that you’ll have nowhere else to go. If all of the legacy carriers have BE, your choices are to fly BE, pay the regular economy premium, or fly a ULCC and possibly pay more in the end anyway.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.