Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread -- the active thread is United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

Important Note: these fares became available 21 Feb 2017 for MSP for travel beginning 18 Apr 2017. More markets were added 19 April 2017 for travel starting 9 May 2017.

Related thread: Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

If you booked before the dates above, you did not have a BE fare. If purchased on united.com you will see a warning like:

4. MileagePlus members will earn full Premier qualifying dollars, 50% Premier qualifying miles and 0.5 Premier qualifying segments for each flight, as well as lifetime miles and toward the four-segment minimum.

Link to UA's description of how these fares will work: Basic Economy.

Here are the key facts:
  • No seat assignments until check-in. Seats will be assigned by the system and cannot be changed.
    *NEW* When purchasing a Basic Economy ticket, you will not receive a complimentary seat assignment but may be able to purchase advance seat assignments during booking and up until check-in opens. If you don’t purchase an advance seat assignment, your seat will be automatically assigned to you prior to boarding, and you won't be able to change your seat once it's been assigned.
  • No guarantee of adjacent seats with companions
  • No voluntary ticket changes after 24 hour purchase period
  • Carry on limited to 1 personal item unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Customers ineligible for carry-on who bring one to the gate will be charged a $25 convenience fee to gate-check in addition to standard baggage fees (source: @united twitter)
  • Customers will not be eligible for Economy Plus or premium cabin upgrades. This includes all forms of upgrades (CPU,supported or purchased). Likewise for E+ access (elite or purchased).
  • Customers will board in the last boarding group (currently Group 5) unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Companions on same PNR will have same boarding group and carryon if one on the PNR has a waiver
  • No combinability with regular economy fares or partner carriers. Interline travel is not permitted.
  • Tickets will earn RDMs (based on fare and status), PQMs (50% of distance), PQSs (0.5), PQDs, in addition it will count for minimum 4 segment and lifetime miles (New as of Dec 2018)
  • Basic Economy tickets will use booking code 'N'
  • Online check-in only with paid checked bag, otherwise need to see a United representative to verify the onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass.
In air, passengers will receive the same standard economy inflight amenities including United Economy dining options, inflight entertainment, United Wi-Fi (availability depending on the flight)

related threads
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - no free first bag, no changes/upgrades allowed

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ

Pre-announcement speculation thread (now closed) New "Budget Economy" fares
Print Wikipost

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2017, 6:10 pm

Ok thanks. I was concerned that only I may get the free bags and the companion wouldn’t get the benefits.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 7:13 pm

Programs: UA Gold Million Miler, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
You also may ask at the gate for seat changes. Depending on the numbers on board, they seemed to be happy enough to move you around. You don't find out your seating until you arrive at the airport and they can't change your seats at check in.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 11:35 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by threeoh
It's like telling someone they should buy a first class ticket because people in the front of the plane can evacuate faster in the event of a crash. It might be technically true, but isn't really helpful when evaluating whether you want to buy F or Y.
Well and also those in the back in Y are more likely to survive a crash going off of crash statistics.
Old Nov 1, 2017, 1:02 am

Programs: UA Gold Million Miler, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
Cool Sully

However, if you were in Sully's crash in the Hudson, you would have been happy to pay for first class as they got the zodiacs while the rest of the crowd stood in icy water on the wings....
Old Nov 2, 2017, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
I'll be taking two BE flights later this month. One 225 mile flight and one 305 mile flight. The additional cost to get some lifetime miles wasn't worth it. I'll get group 2 due to status, but wonder where I'll get stuck sitting.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 3:10 pm

Crazy BE Fares

I was looking at early April fares from DC to Dallas. One flight showed:

BE: $339
Econ: $246
Econ Flexible: $296

Why in the world would BE be almost $100 more than Economy and almost $50 more than Economy Flex? Who in the world would go for that? Is this an error?
Old Nov 2, 2017, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kensterfly
Why in the world would BE be almost $100 more than Economy and almost $50 more than Economy Flex? Who in the world would go for that? Is this an error?
Of course it's an error. UA has been filing these fares for close to 9 months now and still can't get them correct. The mind boggles.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Further BE scale-back?

Is this monstrosity going away? (to some extent; entirely is surely hoping for too much)

There's been some discussion surrounding earnings calls of it being scaled back, but I've been noticing it disappearing from more and more routes that I am searching. ^ if it's systemic.
Old Nov 3, 2017, 9:32 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by jsloan
Of course it's an error. UA has been filing these fares for close to 9 months now and still can't get them correct. The mind boggles.
Were you expecting any better execution? We are talking United here....
Old Nov 3, 2017, 11:02 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by spin88
Were you expecting any better execution? We are talking United here....
Exactly. I gave up being surprised at these ridiculous price discrepancies a while ago.

Although everytime I see this, I can't help but think of Tango and them trying to get away with that.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 12:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by CApreppie
I'll be taking two BE flights later this month. One 225 mile flight and one 305 mile flight. The additional cost to get some lifetime miles wasn't worth it. I'll get group 2 due to status, but wonder where I'll get stuck sitting.
Anywhere from a middle seat in E- to an aisle or window seat in E+.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by Kensterfly
I was looking at early April fares from DC to Dallas. One flight showed:

BE: $339
Econ: $246
Econ Flexible: $296
Yeah I saw something similar LAX-DEN on Thursday for a flight today.

BE: $176
Econ: $114
Old Nov 4, 2017, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by fumje
Is this monstrosity going away? (to some extent; entirely is surely hoping for too much)

There's been some discussion surrounding earnings calls of it being scaled back, but I've been noticing it disappearing from more and more routes that I am searching. ^ if it's systemic.
It depends when you're searching as much as where you're searching.
Old Nov 4, 2017, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Anywhere from a middle seat in E- to an aisle or window seat in E+.
I figure it is a complete roll of the dice.

Has anyone figured out where regular economy is a certain percentage higher than it is worth it to get the status miles/dollars and lifetime miles?

I just booked $79 r/t SFO-LAX in BE, and the the regular economy ticket was $39 higher or 49% more. Should I have bought regular eco?
Old Nov 4, 2017, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by CApreppie
I figure it is a complete roll of the dice.

Has anyone figured out where regular economy is a certain percentage higher than it is worth it to get the status miles/dollars and lifetime miles?

I just booked $79 r/t SFO-LAX in BE, and the the regular economy ticket was $39 higher or 49% more. Should I have bought regular eco?
Depends entirely on what your situation is. For example, I'm probably going to be running for PQD at the end of the year, so it would definitely be worth it for me. Also, buying in advance, the certainty of sitting in 7A/F is also worth $20 each way. But ymmv.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.