Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread -- the active thread is United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

Important Note: these fares became available 21 Feb 2017 for MSP for travel beginning 18 Apr 2017. More markets were added 19 April 2017 for travel starting 9 May 2017.

Related thread: Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

If you booked before the dates above, you did not have a BE fare. If purchased on united.com you will see a warning like:

4. MileagePlus members will earn full Premier qualifying dollars, 50% Premier qualifying miles and 0.5 Premier qualifying segments for each flight, as well as lifetime miles and toward the four-segment minimum.

Link to UA's description of how these fares will work: Basic Economy.

Here are the key facts:
  • No seat assignments until check-in. Seats will be assigned by the system and cannot be changed.
    *NEW* When purchasing a Basic Economy ticket, you will not receive a complimentary seat assignment but may be able to purchase advance seat assignments during booking and up until check-in opens. If you don’t purchase an advance seat assignment, your seat will be automatically assigned to you prior to boarding, and you won't be able to change your seat once it's been assigned.
  • No guarantee of adjacent seats with companions
  • No voluntary ticket changes after 24 hour purchase period
  • Carry on limited to 1 personal item unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Customers ineligible for carry-on who bring one to the gate will be charged a $25 convenience fee to gate-check in addition to standard baggage fees (source: @united twitter)
  • Customers will not be eligible for Economy Plus or premium cabin upgrades. This includes all forms of upgrades (CPU,supported or purchased). Likewise for E+ access (elite or purchased).
  • Customers will board in the last boarding group (currently Group 5) unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Companions on same PNR will have same boarding group and carryon if one on the PNR has a waiver
  • No combinability with regular economy fares or partner carriers. Interline travel is not permitted.
  • Tickets will earn RDMs (based on fare and status), PQMs (50% of distance), PQSs (0.5), PQDs, in addition it will count for minimum 4 segment and lifetime miles (New as of Dec 2018)
  • Basic Economy tickets will use booking code 'N'
  • Online check-in only with paid checked bag, otherwise need to see a United representative to verify the onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass.
In air, passengers will receive the same standard economy inflight amenities including United Economy dining options, inflight entertainment, United Wi-Fi (availability depending on the flight)

related threads
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - no free first bag, no changes/upgrades allowed

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ

Pre-announcement speculation thread (now closed) New "Budget Economy" fares
Print Wikipost

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2017, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by nycityny
Does it say "MileagePlus Select" or have the word "Signature" at the bottom right? I have one of those and I don't think it offers any of the benefits that avoid Basic Economy rules- no priority boarding and no free luggage. Here are its benefits:

https://www.chase.com/online/Credit-...ewards-new.htm
The select clearly says select on it.

But I think the 'MileagePlus Card' that the OP is talking about, like the Select, is a legacy card, well before anyone offered priority boarding, a free checked bag, etc. I doubt it would get early boarding or a rollerboard on BE.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 11:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by 1353513636
AA's differential to regular Y is $8. UA is $40. No comparison.
I recently bought a ticket on AA and the differential was $40, so I bought the BE ticket. My carry-on fits under the seat in front of me and $40 just isn't worth it to be able to pick a seat in the back.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 1:19 pm
Suspended

Is it just me or are u noticing a sizable $ difference from regular economy to basic??? I caught a $68 on way from TPA-MSY.....and the regular economy is $149.....ouch....That's a big difference.....as a 1k, I value my possibly CPU and E+ seat.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 10:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

A couple more data points, a friend traveling with me booked through Expedia and got stuck with Basic Economy. Major PITA at check-in but he got an E+ middle seat for BOS-DEN and an aisle seat on DEN-LAS (half-empty flight).

Middle seats on the way back, however, for both flights.

I'll be testing it out myself for a short BOS-EWR hop where BE was $67 and regular economy was $82. For a flight of just over an hour, I don't really care if I get a middle seat. One of the few benefits of being a lowly Silver on United is that I can still board early and bring carry-on so... what the heck, I'll save the $15.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 6:30 am

Programs: UA 1K (2MM); AA LT Gold (1.9 MM); SQ; WN; DL; "Bonvoy Ambassador""
Originally Posted by sanfran8080
Is it just me or are u noticing a sizable $ difference from regular economy to basic??? I caught a $68 on way from TPA-MSY.....and the regular economy is $149.....ouch....That's a big difference.....as a 1k, I value my possibly CPU and E+ seat.
I have noticed that as well. On the IAH/BOS routing, the difference used to range from about $4 to $15; now it can be as much as $70 each way! I assume now that E- has some experience and run time this is some variation of dynamic pricing?
Old Oct 20, 2017, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Yea, those massive differentials have been around for a while - I think I posted as one of the first to notice.
Old Oct 23, 2017, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
As United came out and admitted they bungled the rollout of Basic Economy on their latest investor call, I am amazed to see this type of thing on current searches on united.com.

How is this doing anything other than confusing everyone?
Attached Images  
Old Oct 23, 2017, 2:34 pm

Programs: Free checked in bag on UA & DL. Free icecream at Marriott checkin.
Not sure how they plan to capture the market with their BE fares. I for one, am not going to touch them at all.

LGA - DEN
UA $118 BE
DL $118 nonBE
WN $118 nonBE

The winner is WN where I can change the ticket for free anytime and reprice it too. With DL I will lose the fare in the change fees and UA is never a thought.
Old Oct 26, 2017, 6:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K
UA seems to be asking a $370 premium on what I presume is a G-BN fare. Won't be doing that, thank you very much.
Attached Images  
Old Oct 26, 2017, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by segiddins
UA seems to be asking a $370 premium on what I presume is a G-BN fare. Won't be doing that, thank you very much.
Well, DL's equivalent flight on those days in main cabin is $458.40. Which appears to be $10 more than UA's BE+premium.

OTOH SWA has MDW-ATL for $323 during your timeframe..
Old Oct 26, 2017, 10:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by segiddins
just want to clarify, after poking around for a bit (I really had no interest in booking the above itinerary besides meeting a friend for lunch). It seems the G-BN fares don’t match the AP requirements of regular economy fares, so flights that are G..Y 9 have N available for peanuts, but the lowest regular economy fare available for purchase is something like a V.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 9:02 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
Hello,
I'm looking at a one-cabin United Express flight to LAX the doesn't even have any economy plus seats. It's an extra $40 to "upgrade" to regular economy, but I'm currently at Premier Platinum for the year with a Chase Explorer card, so, if I understand correctly, I get my usual checked and carry-on baggage allowance as well as my usual group 1 boarding even on basic economy. The only difference I can see is that I wouldn't get any Premier Qualifying Miles/Dollars or select my seat - none of which I really care for on this particular flight.

Is there anything else I need to know about basic economy? I usually pay the extra for regular economy for the e+ seating, but it seems kind of pointless to pay the extra if that's not even an option on this aircraft.
I noticed that the wikipost says:
No combinability with regular economy fares or partner carriers. Interline travel is not permitted.
Does that mean that I wouldn't be able to check my bags all the way to their final destination if I were to connect onto a separate international UA ticket in LAX?
Old Oct 30, 2017, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mr8
Hello,
I'm looking at a one-cabin United Express flight to LAX the doesn't even have any economy plus seats. It's an extra $40 to "upgrade" to regular economy, but I'm currently at Premier Platinum for the year with a Chase Explorer card, so, if I understand correctly, I get my usual checked and carry-on baggage allowance as well as my usual group 1 boarding even on basic economy. The only difference I can see is that I wouldn't get any Premier Qualifying Miles/Dollars or select my seat - none of which I really care for on this particular flight.

Is there anything else I need to know about basic economy? I usually pay the extra for regular economy for the e+ seating, but it seems kind of pointless to pay the extra if that's not even an option on this aircraft.
I noticed that the wikipost says:

Does that mean that I wouldn't be able to check my bags all the way to their final destination if I were to connect onto a separate international UA ticket in LAX?
If there are no E+ seats (CRJ 200?), then, yes, the only difference is PQM/PQD/lifetime miles.

BE shouldn't have an effect on the checked luggage. The combinability rules prevent you from buying a single ticket that includes BE along with another airline's flight, or BE along with regular economy on UA. The ability to check luggage across separate itineraries is at UA's discretion. They will not do it for a non-*A partner but should do it for a UA flight or *A partner airline. (Note that it's actually more difficult to check the luggage across two UA tickets, so arrive extra early accordingly).

However, I would give myself enough time to make the connection even if you need to re-check your luggage, not because I think that there's a high likelihood that you'll need to do so, but because of the myriad of other things that can go wrong on a multi-ticket trip (most notably, weather delays on United Express flights). Assuming "international" means transoceanic (not, e.g., Canada), you've only got one flight a day to your destination out of LAX, and even if UA agrees to rebook you after a missed flight, you're still looking at a 24-hour delay. So, I'd be looking at a 4-6+ hour connection if I were to try this. Of course, your risk tolerance may vary.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 9:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mr8
I'm looking at a one-cabin United Express flight to LAX the doesn't even have any economy plus seats.

I agree with you there's little benefit to paying up from BE in these circumstances, but like jsloan, I would be quite leery about separate tix domestic to international on UAX, and concur with the suggested minimum of four to six hours cushion.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 10:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mr8
Yes. In addition to being non-refundable, like most discount (i.e. non full-fare) airline tickets, anything in BE is also non-changeable, so you cannot SDC, or change your flight to a different day, etc. If you end up needing to go a day or two earlier, for example, you'd need to throwaway your BE ticket and buy a new one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.