Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread -- the active thread is United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

Important Note: these fares became available 21 Feb 2017 for MSP for travel beginning 18 Apr 2017. More markets were added 19 April 2017 for travel starting 9 May 2017.

Related thread: Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

If you booked before the dates above, you did not have a BE fare. If purchased on united.com you will see a warning like:

4. MileagePlus members will earn full Premier qualifying dollars, 50% Premier qualifying miles and 0.5 Premier qualifying segments for each flight, as well as lifetime miles and toward the four-segment minimum.

Link to UA's description of how these fares will work: Basic Economy.

Here are the key facts:
  • No seat assignments until check-in. Seats will be assigned by the system and cannot be changed.
    *NEW* When purchasing a Basic Economy ticket, you will not receive a complimentary seat assignment but may be able to purchase advance seat assignments during booking and up until check-in opens. If you don’t purchase an advance seat assignment, your seat will be automatically assigned to you prior to boarding, and you won't be able to change your seat once it's been assigned.
  • No guarantee of adjacent seats with companions
  • No voluntary ticket changes after 24 hour purchase period
  • Carry on limited to 1 personal item unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Customers ineligible for carry-on who bring one to the gate will be charged a $25 convenience fee to gate-check in addition to standard baggage fees (source: @united twitter)
  • Customers will not be eligible for Economy Plus or premium cabin upgrades. This includes all forms of upgrades (CPU,supported or purchased). Likewise for E+ access (elite or purchased).
  • Customers will board in the last boarding group (currently Group 5) unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Companions on same PNR will have same boarding group and carryon if one on the PNR has a waiver
  • No combinability with regular economy fares or partner carriers. Interline travel is not permitted.
  • Tickets will earn RDMs (based on fare and status), PQMs (50% of distance), PQSs (0.5), PQDs, in addition it will count for minimum 4 segment and lifetime miles (New as of Dec 2018)
  • Basic Economy tickets will use booking code 'N'
  • Online check-in only with paid checked bag, otherwise need to see a United representative to verify the onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass.
In air, passengers will receive the same standard economy inflight amenities including United Economy dining options, inflight entertainment, United Wi-Fi (availability depending on the flight)

related threads
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - no free first bag, no changes/upgrades allowed

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ

Pre-announcement speculation thread (now closed) New "Budget Economy" fares
Print Wikipost

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2017, 5:05 pm

Programs: Hertz PC
If it a roller carryon they are [over-enforcers]. But they don't care how big of a backpack a person uses.

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Sep 13, 2017 at 9:22 pm Reason: As a substitute for member's use of offensive term per FT Rule 16.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 5:06 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
NOW, it's even MORE maddening!

I called Chase again. I'm again told that I have a Mileage Plus Signature Card, and, that this card DOES include a free checked bag, but nothing mentioned about Priority Boarding. . . .

So, I decided to check my Chase account online. When I click on "CARD BENEFITS", it takes me to THIS page:

Attached Images  
Old Sep 13, 2017, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by davetravels
NOW, it's even MORE maddening!

I called Chase again. I'm again told that I have a Mileage Plus Signature Card, and, that this card DOES include a free checked bag, but nothing mentioned about Priority Boarding. . . .

So, I decided to check my Chase account online. When I click on "CARD BENEFITS", it takes me to THIS page:

So you're good... Free bag at check-in counter, boarding with group 2 (i.e. "priority Boarding"), and normal (versus "abnormal" Basic Economy) carry-on allowance.

Originally Posted by bhunt
... But they don't care how big of a backpack a person uses.
Not true. I have seen UA call out a backpack that was clearly larger than a personal carry-on. No point in suggesting one can expect to get away with something that does not conform:

Personal item

The maximum dimensions for your personal item that fits under the seat in front of you, such as a shoulder bag, purse, laptop bag or other small item, are 9 inches x 10 inches x 17 inches (22 cm x 25 cm x 43 cm). If you are traveling on a Basic Economy ticket, your personal item will be the only item you can bring on board.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 13, 2017 at 7:55 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member; please use multi-quote
Old Sep 13, 2017, 5:24 pm

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
So you're good... Free bag at check-in counter, boarding with group 2 (i.e. "priority Boarding"), and normal (versus "abnormal" Basic Economy) carry-on allowance.
Like I said upstream . . . .

I HAVE gotten the free checked bag in the past, but, NEVER got the priority boarding on my BP. I had to ask / beg for it.

I think the Chase link is incorrect, because they don't have an online page anymore with the benefits of the card I have from the CO days, so, they show the Explorer page, which is WRONG!
Old Sep 13, 2017, 7:47 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
davetravels: I have one of those old cards in addition to a Club Card (and I have Platinum status). But I do know that the old card comes with few flight benefits. If you don't get priority boarding, and I doubt you do, then you won't be allowed to bring a carry-on onto the plane. You'll be in Group 5 which is the defined group for no carry-ons that won't fit under the seat in front of you.

As an aside, I keep the old card because I earn 5,000 PQMs each year for $5,000 spend on united.com. And I get triple award miles for every dollar I spend on United. If your card does that then I don't think you get Priority Boarding with it.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Diminishing fare differentials?

Are the fare differentials between N and underlying class getting smaller? The +$x seems to have reduced from a ridiculous $40/segment on several routes to $20 or $15, and I'm almost ready to buy a UA ticket again.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fumje
Are the fare differentials between N and underlying class getting smaller? The +$x seems to have reduced from a ridiculous $40/segment on several routes to $20 or $15, and I'm almost ready to buy a UA ticket again.
It very much depends upon the route and the fare class. $40 seems to be the going rate for G fares in most markets; then, $15-$20 seems standard for K and L fares. But, they've eliminated entirely in some markets, and there was a report of a (seemingly intentional) $208 difference recently. The overall trend seems positive for the customer, but we may see more tweaks at any time.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsloan
It very much depends upon the route and the fare class. $40 seems to be the going rate for G fares in most markets; then, $15-$20 seems standard for K and L fares. But, they've eliminated entirely in some markets, and there was a report of a (seemingly intentional) $208 difference recently. The overall trend seems positive for the customer, but we may see more tweaks at any time.
Sorry, I should have been more specific, and perhaps I'm behind the times—for a while my impression was that the going rate had risen to $40 for even K and L fares, but the surcharge for those seems to have fallen to $15-$20. Perhaps some part of that is mistaken, though, as I'd not been attentively tracking.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 9:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
for a while my impression was that the going rate had risen to $40 for even K and L fares, but the surcharge for those seems to have fallen to $15-$20.
The rate varies based on route as well as fare class. It may be $40 for a K/L on one route, and $15 on another.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry, I should have been more specific, and perhaps I'm behind the times—for a while my impression was that the going rate had risen to $40 for even K and L fares, but the surcharge for those seems to have fallen to $15-$20. Perhaps some part of that is mistaken, though, as I'd not been attentively tracking.
Originally Posted by Kacee
The rate varies based on route as well as fare class. It may be $40 for a K/L on one route, and $15 on another.
I, too, should have been more specific. What I was describing is what I've seen in the past week or so -- along with BE being removed entirely from some routes ^ -- and, except for the $40 on G, has mostly been an improvement. K/L fares at $30 were common for a while as UA played with its price points to see what people would pay.

But Kacee is definitely correct -- it's market-by-market.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 9:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by jsloan
I, too, should have been more specific. What I was describing is what I've seen in the past week or so -- along with BE being removed entirely from some routes ^ -- and, except for the $40 on G, has mostly been an improvement. K/L fares at $30 were common for a while as UA played with its price points to see what people would pay.
In general the differential does seem to be dropping.

I'm on SAN-SFO on Friday . . . it's booked "Full" in Y and blocked 1 one in F but with 45 empty Y seats (on a 738). That sounds like an awful lot of BE pax.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In general the differential does seem to be dropping.

I'm on SAN-SFO on Friday . . . it's booked "Full" in Y and blocked 1 one in F but with 45 empty Y seats (on a 738). That sounds like an awful lot of BE pax.
That sounds like an awful lot of passengers for whom search engines made all airlines look alike, and then for whom all airlines made themselves look alike.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 1:49 pm

Programs: All the programs!
Originally Posted by davetravels
I HAVE gotten a free CHECKED bag with this card in the past.
Just a 1 time exception?
Old Sep 14, 2017, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by oopl
Just a 1 time exception?
No. When I called yesterday, I was told that the card I have DOES include a checked bag free. But, that's about it.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 6:41 pm

I've been searching flights to Dallas and the BE upsell to Economy is $128 on the lowest fare class ...it's literally double the cost of the flight; seems like they no longer cap it at $40.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.