Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread -- the active thread is United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

Important Note: these fares became available 21 Feb 2017 for MSP for travel beginning 18 Apr 2017. More markets were added 19 April 2017 for travel starting 9 May 2017.

Related thread: Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

If you booked before the dates above, you did not have a BE fare. If purchased on united.com you will see a warning like:

4. MileagePlus members will earn full Premier qualifying dollars, 50% Premier qualifying miles and 0.5 Premier qualifying segments for each flight, as well as lifetime miles and toward the four-segment minimum.

Link to UA's description of how these fares will work: Basic Economy.

Here are the key facts:
  • No seat assignments until check-in. Seats will be assigned by the system and cannot be changed.
    *NEW* When purchasing a Basic Economy ticket, you will not receive a complimentary seat assignment but may be able to purchase advance seat assignments during booking and up until check-in opens. If you don’t purchase an advance seat assignment, your seat will be automatically assigned to you prior to boarding, and you won't be able to change your seat once it's been assigned.
  • No guarantee of adjacent seats with companions
  • No voluntary ticket changes after 24 hour purchase period
  • Carry on limited to 1 personal item unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Customers ineligible for carry-on who bring one to the gate will be charged a $25 convenience fee to gate-check in addition to standard baggage fees (source: @united twitter)
  • Customers will not be eligible for Economy Plus or premium cabin upgrades. This includes all forms of upgrades (CPU,supported or purchased). Likewise for E+ access (elite or purchased).
  • Customers will board in the last boarding group (currently Group 5) unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Companions on same PNR will have same boarding group and carryon if one on the PNR has a waiver
  • No combinability with regular economy fares or partner carriers. Interline travel is not permitted.
  • Tickets will earn RDMs (based on fare and status), PQMs (50% of distance), PQSs (0.5), PQDs, in addition it will count for minimum 4 segment and lifetime miles (New as of Dec 2018)
  • Basic Economy tickets will use booking code 'N'
  • Online check-in only with paid checked bag, otherwise need to see a United representative to verify the onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass.
In air, passengers will receive the same standard economy inflight amenities including United Economy dining options, inflight entertainment, United Wi-Fi (availability depending on the flight)

related threads
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - no free first bag, no changes/upgrades allowed

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ

Pre-announcement speculation thread (now closed) New "Budget Economy" fares
Print Wikipost

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2017, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
But that would reinforce two things that UA doesn't want to encourage
1- People who want any selection/flexibility would then have reasons to book BE rather than upfaring to the fare UA really wants people to buy.

2- People would get confused and potentially argumentative re: which flight is on BE vs which is "standard" ("But they let me carry my bag on last time!", etc.)

By forcing the entire trip into BE UA is keeping an end-to-end consistent(ly poor, IMO but that's one reason I choose to book above BE) travel experience and avoiding points for surprise/confusion/argument and preserving, clearly, all of the billboards to encourage booking a higher fare class.

Fly it as ticketed or lose it. If it's the return you could fly the outbound and just pick up a one-way ticket. Although throw-away ticketing is a prohibited ticketing practice, UA doesn't give you a whole lot of room aside from throwing it away on BE. The $15-30 difference is, among other things, an idiot insurance premium. (And I am always terrified of making exactly that mistake)

[And there's a certain irony that I'm commenting on a BE thread from the relative opulence of the ORD Polaris lounge, but I digress]
lol, love the irony. I told him the same. The agent was apologetic and said just keep calling to complain maybe they will do something. thank you for confirming my thoughts.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by steaminer
At 40 hours you're pretty much out of luck.

Since it's the return, if it's less than the change fee, you can just miss the flight and book a one way return out of pocket.
Originally Posted by jsloan
Basic Economy flights cannot be changed except in case of IRROPS (flight cancellation, weather, etc.). I don't know how they're handing weather waivers for BE -- for a regular economy flight, the advice is often to wait and see if your itinerary happens to get affected by one.

So, yes, your best bet is to book a separate one-way flight home.
thank you guys. lesson learned I guess
Old Jul 25, 2017, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
The website offered BE and non-BE on the same itinerary? I don't think it's supposed to do that. What a complete cluster that would be, since most restrictive fare rules apply.
BE fares are not combinable with regular fares. However, my experience when I was looking (not booking), even if selecting BE, it will offer regular on the return, but will upfare the outbound when you do that. IME, the engine is even smart enough to do the upfrare for the whole itinerary for the return. For example, CVG to ORD on random dates shows $49 BE on outbound, and $58 for return, for total of $106.40. Regular on the same flights are $69 and $78 for a total of $146.40. If you select the $49 BE on the outbound, the regular on the return displays $98, to get the correct $146.40 for regular both ways.

IME, if you select a regular on the outbound, the BE fare won't be an option for the return (i.e., it doesn't work the other way around).

Originally Posted by aeneas3
hi all
Hoping you guys can offer insight into a booking error my dad did. He booked a RT ticket in the basic economy. He realized at the 40 hr mark that he made a mistake and booked the wrong dates (I always fear this even on refundable fares.) Anyway, he has reached out and despite having an explorer card, etc. they have no interest in changing anything.

Has anyone had any luck with a similar problem or will have to learn his lesson? The return flight is the wrong date, we will be on a cruise then

edit: he booked with his new chase ink NOT miles explorer
CC used, and status for that matter, is irrelevant. Having an explorer card gets you a free bag, premier access, etc, but that is irrelevant when dealing with fare rules - either it allows the change, or it doesn't. For BE, there is no changes allowed.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by emcampbe
BE fares are not combinable with regular fares. However, my experience when I was looking (not booking), even if selecting BE, it will offer regular on the return, but will upfare the outbound when you do that. IME, the engine is even smart enough to do the upfrare for the whole itinerary for the return. For example, CVG to ORD on random dates shows $49 BE on outbound, and $58 for return, for total of $106.40. Regular on the same flights are $69 and $78 for a total of $146.40. If you select the $49 BE on the outbound, the regular on the return displays $98, to get the correct $146.40 for regular both ways.

IME, if you select a regular on the outbound, the BE fare won't be an option for the return (i.e., it doesn't work the other way around).

CC used, and status for that matter, is irrelevant. Having an explorer card gets you a free bag, premier access, etc, but that is irrelevant when dealing with fare rules - either it allows the change, or it doesn't. For BE, there is no changes allowed.
Yes, that is what I told him. Did not mean to imply otherwise.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 7:54 pm

Programs: UA Gold, DL GM, AS; Marriott and SPG Gold, Hyatt
UA offering BE when no other fares available?

So I was looking at a quick weekend trip SEA-ORD and found this craziness. I thought basic economy was priced based off other economy buckets just like most domestic F fares, but here UA seems to be doing something else. Not that I would buy BE on this route, but thought it was interesting.

Should I just chalk it up to classic United IT or is rev management trying something else out here by not filling the fares for the route?
Attached Images  
Old Jul 25, 2017, 7:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K
What does expert mode say about fare class availability?
Old Jul 25, 2017, 8:05 pm

Programs: UA Gold, DL GM, AS; Marriott and SPG Gold, Hyatt
ZN6 P5 in first, Q8 V6 in economy, so the buckets are available, just (presumably) no valid fares. This was connecting through IAH, but also some others showing same behavior connecting through LAX and DEN.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hoshattack
So I was looking at a quick weekend trip SEA-ORD and found this craziness. I thought basic economy was priced based off other economy buckets just like most domestic F fares, but here UA seems to be doing something else. Not that I would buy BE on this route, but thought it was interesting.

Should I just chalk it up to classic United IT or is rev management trying something else out here by not filling the fares for the route?
It appears to be a combination of both. Using August 4 and August 6 as the flight dates, and UA2393 / UA527 as the flights, I see SAA7AKBN followed by TAA0AWBN. (Unsurprisingly, IAH isn't a valid connection point on SEA-ORD, so it breaks the fare to price the flight). Combined with the 7 AM nonstop return flight on 8/6, I get a $660 BE fare (return fare basis WRA1AKBR).

Using ITA, I can get the same flights to price without BE for $880. However, the outbound fares are SAA7AKEN and UAA7AKEN. The T fare doesn't seem to come up, even though it exists. The combination language is different between the BE and regular economy fares, which is presumably causing the issue, but I can't tell which specific clause is causing the issue.

Anyway, it looks like united.com is suppressing the display of the regular economy fare if it's not using the same underlying fare components that the BE fare is linked to. They might even be doing it on purpose, so that they don't show a $220 regular economy upcharge. But I have to imagine that one or the other set of fare rules is incorrect, leading to the discrepancy in the first place.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 2:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle
Question: If I am travelling with an individual who is booked on a Basic Economy Fare on a separate PNR, can they board with me or are they only allowed to board in group 5?
Old Jul 26, 2017, 3:43 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Explorist; Bonvoy Platinum
Sorry if this has already been answered, but if I bring a backpack on the plane with me, can I store it in the overhead bin? It will fit under the seat too if overhead isn't permitted. I am a MileagePlus Explorer credit card holder, so I believe I am still entitled to a carry on?

Last edited by touringuy; Jul 26, 2017 at 3:49 pm
Old Jul 26, 2017, 3:59 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by touringuy
Sorry if this has already been answered, but if I bring a backpack on the plane with me, can I store it in the overhead bin? It will fit under the seat too if overhead isn't permitted. I am a MileagePlus Explorer credit card holder, so I believe I am still entitled to a carry on?
Someone will correct me, but I'm almost positive even as a MP Explorer card holder, you are only entitled to your G2 boarding and free checked bag. You will still be restricted to no second carry on and no seat assignment.

Although I guess you could technically put it up there since you are G2, you aren't supposed to given the rules of BE which states 1 personal item only, that must fit underneath the seat in front of you.

Hope that helps!
Old Jul 26, 2017, 4:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
All Basic Economy pax may put their personal item in the overhead bin if they wish, provided there is still room. As a holder of the Explorer Card, you are allowed a full-sized carry-on as well as Group 2 boarding. Boarding with Group 2, it would generally be conscientious not to put a smaller item in the bin until everyone as boarded.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 4:21 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Explorist; Bonvoy Platinum
Thank you both for the speedy replies! It sounds like a Basic Economy ticket isn't as bad if you purchase it as a Mileage Plus Explorer Card member.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Thank you both for the speedy replies! It sounds like a Basic Economy ticket isn't as bad if you purchase it as a Mileage Plus Explorer Card member.
You still get no seat assignment, no changes, and no Premier credit, but it's not as bad as not having one.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 4:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by findark
You still get no seat assignment, no changes, and no Premier credit, but it's not as bad as not having one.
I will never get tired of saying, "this is so not worth saving $10-20."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.