Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread -- the active thread is United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

Important Note: these fares became available 21 Feb 2017 for MSP for travel beginning 18 Apr 2017. More markets were added 19 April 2017 for travel starting 9 May 2017.

Related thread: Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

If you booked before the dates above, you did not have a BE fare. If purchased on united.com you will see a warning like:

4. MileagePlus members will earn full Premier qualifying dollars, 50% Premier qualifying miles and 0.5 Premier qualifying segments for each flight, as well as lifetime miles and toward the four-segment minimum.

Link to UA's description of how these fares will work: Basic Economy.

Here are the key facts:
  • No seat assignments until check-in. Seats will be assigned by the system and cannot be changed.
    *NEW* When purchasing a Basic Economy ticket, you will not receive a complimentary seat assignment but may be able to purchase advance seat assignments during booking and up until check-in opens. If you don’t purchase an advance seat assignment, your seat will be automatically assigned to you prior to boarding, and you won't be able to change your seat once it's been assigned.
  • No guarantee of adjacent seats with companions
  • No voluntary ticket changes after 24 hour purchase period
  • Carry on limited to 1 personal item unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Customers ineligible for carry-on who bring one to the gate will be charged a $25 convenience fee to gate-check in addition to standard baggage fees (source: @united twitter)
  • Customers will not be eligible for Economy Plus or premium cabin upgrades. This includes all forms of upgrades (CPU,supported or purchased). Likewise for E+ access (elite or purchased).
  • Customers will board in the last boarding group (currently Group 5) unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Companions on same PNR will have same boarding group and carryon if one on the PNR has a waiver
  • No combinability with regular economy fares or partner carriers. Interline travel is not permitted.
  • Tickets will earn RDMs (based on fare and status), PQMs (50% of distance), PQSs (0.5), PQDs, in addition it will count for minimum 4 segment and lifetime miles (New as of Dec 2018)
  • Basic Economy tickets will use booking code 'N'
  • Online check-in only with paid checked bag, otherwise need to see a United representative to verify the onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass.
In air, passengers will receive the same standard economy inflight amenities including United Economy dining options, inflight entertainment, United Wi-Fi (availability depending on the flight)

related threads
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - no free first bag, no changes/upgrades allowed

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ

Pre-announcement speculation thread (now closed) New "Budget Economy" fares
Print Wikipost

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2017, 12:02 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by DELee
What UACO calls its BE product is not the same as DL BE. Comparing what United Continental offers to Delta's product is not equivalent.
Of course they're different. That's not the point. But if UA BE is unacceptable for a frequent flyer, I don't know how DL's BE would be. The ticket itself is not much different. They are highly equivalent.

It has to be a minutely small group that will accept BE just as long as status miles are included. That's a very small straw to break the camel's back.

For an infrequent flyer, the only major difference is whether or not you can take a full-size carry-on along for free and game the baggage rules. Neither can guarantee you that the carry-on rides in the cabin.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 12:13 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K; Alaska MVP 75K; Hilton Honors Diamond; Hertz Pres Circle
Don't know if this has been discussed or not, but I had a recent experience trying to get a friend's BE ticket changed. I called the Premier Desk when his flight got cancelled to see if he could get onto a DL flight. I was informed that, when traveling on a BE ticket, UA will not accommodate on another carrier if there is a UA option within 48 hours of originally scheduled departure time and next available was 30 hours later. I asked to speak with a supervisor, who confirmed this information. My friend ended up canceling his trip, which was only going to be 48 hours to begin with. Unless I'm missing something, I don't see poorer IRROP handling as a "term" of a BE fare on the website.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by goldelite8
... Unless I'm missing something, I don't see poorer IRROP handling as a "term" of a BE fare on the website.
I'm not exactly sure what you expect. Maybe you're missing the fact UA's never really been generous during IRROPs endorsing over to other carriers on most tickets. Of course UA's gonna try and re-book on UA.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
You know, the more I think about it the more I think this could be a good thing for me. I'm not ever going to buy the BE fares, but the number one problem with orderly boarding and ontime departure is simply too many carry-on bags for the space. Carry-ons were priced too advantageously to checked bags - causing the problem. This will shift the balance and make boarding faster and less of a mess.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 5:08 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Did DEN to SFO yesterday, 787-8, and heard announcement several times that BG5 will only be allowed one small carry on. Yet first 5 people in that line all had both a carry on and a full size roller suitcase. Many others did too further back in line. I did not wait to see what happened, nor am I sure this really was a BE flight, but found it interesting that none of the people in the GB5 line who had excess baggage reacted in any way to the repeated announcement.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 6:32 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by goldelite8
I was informed that, when traveling on a BE ticket, UA will not accommodate on another carrier if there is a UA option within 48 hours of originally scheduled departure time and next available was 30 hours later. I asked to speak with a supervisor, who confirmed this information. My friend ended up canceling his trip, which was only going to be 48 hours to begin with. Unless I'm missing something, I don't see poorer IRROP handling as a "term" of a BE fare on the website.
UA option with 48hrs! That is laughable. I did not realize this as I don't buy BE fares but I guess that is another reason not to. Many of trips are 48 to 72 hrs. RTs this would be a bad joke. Doesn't seem right but what else is new with UA.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by blueman2
...I did not wait to see what happened, nor am I sure this really was a BE flight, but found it interesting that none of the people in the GB5 line who had excess baggage reacted in any way to the repeated announcement.
While waiting for a flight at SFO last week, I did watch a BG5 group board at a nearby 60s gate. Two of the 10 or so BG5ers had more-than-allowed carry ons, ignored the announcements, and both were made to pay $50. I don't think it's uncommon that some are hoping they won't be charged. And I think UA loves to catch 'em. Should make some think the $20 premium to avoid BE is worth it. Either that or switch to Southwest...

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jun 28, 2017 at 6:42 pm
Old Jun 28, 2017, 6:41 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
While waiting for a flight at SFO last week, I did watch a BG5 group board at a nearby 60s gate. Two of the 10 or so BG5ers had more-than-allowed carry ons, ignored the announcements, and both were made to pay $50. I don't think it's uncommon that some are hoping they won't be charged.
Having not run into this yet but are you seeing any delays as a result of GAs having to pull them out an run charges? Two people isn't bad but if got out of hand I can imagine this could be a problem.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nomad420
Having not run into this yet but are you seeing any delays as a result of GAs having to pull them out an run charges? Two people isn't bad but if got out of hand I can imagine this could be a problem.
None at all - boarding GA sent 'em to the desk agent. Maybe less than 2 minutes from what I saw. Probably depends on amount of arguing/complaining by affected passenger(s). Both the violators seemed relatively resigned to the fee in this case.

It does look like the majority of BG5ers are compliant with the terms they've been hit over the head with multiple times (multiple times during booking process, post-booking emails, pre-trip email, check in).

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jun 28, 2017 at 6:54 pm
Old Jun 28, 2017, 6:47 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
While waiting for a flight at SFO last week, I did watch a BG5 group board at a nearby 60s gate. Two of the 10 or so BG5ers had more-than-allowed carry ons, ignored the announcements, and both were made to pay $50. I don't think it's uncommon that some are hoping they won't be charged. And I think UA loves to catch 'em. Should make some think the $20 premium to avoid BE is worth it. Either that or switch to Southwest...
And those will not fly UA next time.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 7:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by nomad420
Flights are boarding faster IME due to 10-30% of pax not having full size carry-ons.

Of course, the same benefit can be accomplished by allowing pax to check a bag for free. See Southwest Airlines.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 12:48 am

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by minnyfly
Of course they're different. That's not the point. But if UA BE is unacceptable for a frequent flyer, I don't know how DL's BE would be. The ticket itself is not much different. They are highly equivalent.

It has to be a minutely small group that will accept BE just as long as status miles are included. That's a very small straw to break the camel's back.

For an infrequent flyer, the only major difference is whether or not you can take a full-size carry-on along for free and game the baggage rules. Neither can guarantee you that the carry-on rides in the cabin.
I'm right here . I'd be booking domestic BE 100% of the time on UA if status miles were included. Elite status ensures I'm exempt from most of the restrictions. UA irrops also isn't too bad domestically. Internationally it's a different deal, as UA has awful performance on long hauls out of most hubs.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 11:21 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Gold (Current Platinum), United Mileage Plus, Avis Preferred
I have just seen the premium for regular economy fares over BE jump from $15 to $20 each way for EWR-MCO round trips in Novmeber.
Old Jun 30, 2017, 11:26 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Basic Economy More Expensive than Normal Economy?

Can someone explain why this is happening / what this means?

Searched UA.com for a one way flight:

Where: LAX - ORD
Date: 08/17
Filtered by: "Nonstop Only"

It shows that a basic economy ticket costs $258 while a normal economy costs $243. Screenshot attached.

Why? How? Huh? It's a little early for Saturday website shenanigans and I assume this isn't normal...
Attached Images  

Last edited by laxmillenial; Jun 30, 2017 at 11:31 am
Old Jun 30, 2017, 12:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
Can someone explain why this is happening / what this means?

Searched UA.com for a one way flight:

Where: LAX - ORD
Date: 08/17
Filtered by: "Nonstop Only"

It shows that a basic economy ticket costs $258 while a normal economy costs $243. Screenshot attached.

Why? How? Huh? It's a little early for Saturday website shenanigans and I assume this isn't normal...
I had even crazier back in Post 2009

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.