Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread -- the active thread is United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ...

Important Note: these fares became available 21 Feb 2017 for MSP for travel beginning 18 Apr 2017. More markets were added 19 April 2017 for travel starting 9 May 2017.

Related thread: Basic Economy Airport and Plane Experiences (First or Second Hand)

If you booked before the dates above, you did not have a BE fare. If purchased on united.com you will see a warning like:

4. MileagePlus members will earn full Premier qualifying dollars, 50% Premier qualifying miles and 0.5 Premier qualifying segments for each flight, as well as lifetime miles and toward the four-segment minimum.

Link to UA's description of how these fares will work: Basic Economy.

Here are the key facts:
  • No seat assignments until check-in. Seats will be assigned by the system and cannot be changed.
    *NEW* When purchasing a Basic Economy ticket, you will not receive a complimentary seat assignment but may be able to purchase advance seat assignments during booking and up until check-in opens. If you don’t purchase an advance seat assignment, your seat will be automatically assigned to you prior to boarding, and you won't be able to change your seat once it's been assigned.
  • No guarantee of adjacent seats with companions
  • No voluntary ticket changes after 24 hour purchase period
  • Carry on limited to 1 personal item unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Customers ineligible for carry-on who bring one to the gate will be charged a $25 convenience fee to gate-check in addition to standard baggage fees (source: @united twitter)
  • Customers will not be eligible for Economy Plus or premium cabin upgrades. This includes all forms of upgrades (CPU,supported or purchased). Likewise for E+ access (elite or purchased).
  • Customers will board in the last boarding group (currently Group 5) unless the customer is a MP Premier member, primary cardmember of a qualifying MileagePlus credit card, or Star Alliance *G
  • Companions on same PNR will have same boarding group and carryon if one on the PNR has a waiver
  • No combinability with regular economy fares or partner carriers. Interline travel is not permitted.
  • Tickets will earn RDMs (based on fare and status), PQMs (50% of distance), PQSs (0.5), PQDs, in addition it will count for minimum 4 segment and lifetime miles (New as of Dec 2018)
  • Basic Economy tickets will use booking code 'N'
  • Online check-in only with paid checked bag, otherwise need to see a United representative to verify the onboard bag allowance and receive a boarding pass.
In air, passengers will receive the same standard economy inflight amenities including United Economy dining options, inflight entertainment, United Wi-Fi (availability depending on the flight)

related threads
New UA/*A TATL -LGT Economy fare - no free first bag, no changes/upgrades allowed

Benefit impact of restricted economy fares on UA Elites (Basic Econ, -LGT, Light Econ

Pre-announcement speculation thread (now closed) New "Budget Economy" fares
Print Wikipost

United's Basic Economy - Discussion, Q&A, ... {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2017, 12:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Somehow Spirit Airlines manages to allow their passengers to check in online 24 hours in advance, despite the fact that you have to pay for a carry-on that goes in the overhead bin.

Does UA think that their Basic Economy customers are dumber than all of Spirit Airlines' customers combined, or is the objective that by putting the screws to Basic Economy ticket holders as hard as possible, they will get more people to pay extra for regular Economy?
Old Jun 20, 2017, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Kevin AA
Somehow Spirit Airlines manages to allow their passengers to check in online 24 hours in advance, despite the fact that you have to pay for a carry-on that goes in the overhead bin.

Does UA think that their Basic Economy customers are dumber than all of Spirit Airlines' customers combined, or is the objective that by putting the screws to Basic Economy ticket holders as hard as possible, they will get more people to pay extra for regular Economy?
No. UA just thinks that the passengers will play dumb and try to evade proper payment that way.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 6:27 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
This is partially correct. UA feels that they can tax their loyalists, and that they will pay it because many loyalists are hub-trapped by the airline, and will cough up the extra $ to gain and utilize status benefits.

What is to be seen is whether UA wins in this approach and other airlines adopt the same pricing scheme, or if UA fails. If the latter happens, I may adopt the strategy of switching to DL or AA once my MM is completed and fly with an airline that doesn't make me pay a "tax" to attain status.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 8:47 am

United is not prohibiting Basic Economy customers from checking in online in advance. They wait to provide a boarding pass until the customer pays for a checked bag, whether it be online or at the airport.

Spirit takes a different approach: they raise the price longer you wait to pay for the bag.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 9:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
No. UA just thinks that the passengers will play dumb and try to evade proper payment that way.
I think this is the primary reason for this ridiculous policy.

Customer as enemy mentality.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 9:26 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by Kacee

Specifically UA loyalists are the enemies.

I will never be able to buy a super cheap ticket again. Specifically, $84 r.t. DEN-ORD was my favorite. That will now be $124 minimum with the $20 difference between N and G on each segment. Still not bad, but will have to pay it to be able to accrue lifetime miles, sit in E+, earn PQD and PQM, and have an upgrade seat. To add insult to injury, this upcharge exists all the way to M fares.

I understand this is a business and increased revenue is good for the business, but it is going to come at the cost of loyalists, as I will likely choose to fly other airlines once I achieve my MM milestone, which isn't too far away now..... vs. flying United exclusively to achieve higher milestones beyond 1MM. I see a status match to DM on DL coming in 2019.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 9:28 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM

I view it as "the customer is a predictable animal and we are taking steps to mitigate any misunderstanding" policy.

In my business, there are certain repeating themes with some of my clients. I take steps to mitigate risk on my end and maximize revenue. Isn't that what businesses are supposed to do?
Old Jun 20, 2017, 9:37 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by fly18725
Spirit takes a different approach: they raise the price longer you wait to pay for the bag.
UA takes the same approach.

They charge a $25 penalty if BE pax check at the gate.

So UA is more punitive than Spirit in that it both disallows online check-in and charges a penalty for gate-checking.

Originally Posted by FlyngSvyr
In my business, there are certain repeating themes with some of my clients. I take steps to mitigate risk on my end and maximize revenue. Isn't that what businesses are supposed to do?
I treat my clients with respect. It's sad that some don't see the value in that.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 9:48 am

My son-in-law scored a $ 500.00 o/w UA ticket LAX-NRT in W which was instantly upgradeable with GPU. He originates out of PHX but the upgrade from there was not available, waitlist only and the ticket price was doubled. To get to LAX he is offered $ 100.00 o/w in BE, reg. economy is + $17.00. He is 1K, so carry on and baggage is no problem for the 45 minute ride. As I understand it UA states "no interlining". Technically he is not interlining, just continuing on an UA flight. Can he check luggage through on two separate tickets, BE and biz? Or does this have nothing to do with BE and depends on the check-in agent?
Old Jun 20, 2017, 10:12 am

Originally Posted by Exleftseat
He is 1K, so carry on and baggage is no problem for the 45 minute ride. As I understand it UA states "no interlining". Technically he is not interlining, just continuing on an UA flight. Can he check luggage through on two separate tickets, BE and biz? Or does this have nothing to do with BE and depends on the check-in agent?
AFAIK, we have no specific reports/experience on that point yet. But I would not be surprised if they refused or failed at PHX.

Checking bags through on UA-UA separate tix can be a challenge even without this issue. I would leave at least three hours for the connection and assume I will have to reclaim my bag(s) at LAX.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 10:55 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by Exleftseat
My son-in-law scored a $ 500.00 o/w UA ticket LAX-NRT in W which was instantly upgradeable with GPU. He originates out of PHX but the upgrade from there was not available, waitlist only and the ticket price was doubled. To get to LAX he is offered $ 100.00 o/w in BE, reg. economy is + $17.00. He is 1K, so carry on and baggage is no problem for the 45 minute ride. As I understand it UA states "no interlining". Technically he is not interlining, just continuing on an UA flight. Can he check luggage through on two separate tickets, BE and biz? Or does this have nothing to do with BE and depends on the check-in agent?
Should not be an issue. Print out both itineraries and present both at check-in. As long as MCT is observed, bag will be checked through to NRT for free (due to 1K status).
Old Jun 20, 2017, 11:02 am

So UA is more punitive than Spirit in that it both disallows online check-in and charges a penalty for gate-checking.
Can you point to where United disallows online check-in for BE fares? I believe it is permitted if the customer pays for their checked bag.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 11:17 am
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by fly18725
I believe it is permitted if the customer pays for their checked bag.
What about those of us who never check a bag
Old Jun 20, 2017, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by EmailKid
What about those of us who never check a bag
then you can have it printed at the check in desk (did you think it was more difficult). It's free to do on UA, but definitely does cost for this in Spirit.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by PTahCha
Should not be an issue. Print out both itineraries and present both at check-in. As long as MCT is observed, bag will be checked through to NRT for free (due to 1K status).
However, it's not worth trying to save $17 in case there are some unknown issues with BE flights and bags across two itineraries - especially as the OP's son can't SDC or do anything if the PHX flight starts getting worrisome.

Consider consequences of missing the flight versus $17 (which will give PQMs and upgrade possibility).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.